Buddhism and weed :/

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Dyerzz, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Not sure if this I already up here but I figured I'd ask anyway,
    It states in some places that in buddhism right mindfulness is key, that can be interpreted as being sober (?)

I'm jw if anyone here can give me some insight on whether I could continue smoking weed and still practice Buddhism.

Personally o think weed helps me to meditate and center my mind but would still like some outside help.
    Thanksss

2. I say do what you think is right

3. Yeah, it does help me with meditation. Smoke on my friend

4. One of the beliefs of Buddhism is to keep your body free of intoxicants.
    That being said, it helps me meditate and feel more spiritual.
    Have you looked into different sects? There might be one that doesn't believe that.

5. In the ancient Five Precepts, one of them, instructs not to drink fermented beverages (alcohol) following the way of the Buddha, but it doesn't say anything about cannabis. In some branchs of buddhism it is permitted, in others, not so much. Even so, the Five precepts are not religious commandments but rather a moral code of ethics.

6. Buddhism is truly about non-differentiation. Seeing through the illusion of right and wrong.

There is nothing wrong with it (or anything) in Buddhist terms. What is more important is that you understand and experience the truth of the teachings.

7. Obvious responsible use is obvious.

Don't 'cloud' the mind it says... Doesn't say anything about a plumb of smoke rising gentle through the air though, ya know what I mean?

8. Just dont make it a lifestyle: moderation in ALL things :smoke:

9. i'd figure if you didnt get attached and started suffering, you're good. fuckin :bongin:

10. #10 Birdcat, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    I dunno what exactly is "right" mindfulness, but for me it is simply about being open, present and aware at all times.
    This includes being open to your experience. I suggest not judging but simply paying close attention to how marijuana affects you, your body, your mind, your thoughts. If the effect is negative, if you think it is an attachment or an obstacle in the path to enlightenment, you just need to become mindful of that and you can stop at any time.

I myself think I will quit eventually. Weed brings out some internal conflicts and emotional pain, bringing temporary relief, but doesn't really solve them. Meditation and, like you said, right mindfulness do. Peace :D

11. :eek::( I thought i was the only one for whom weed brought out painful internal shit about myself. I think that when I sober up, all the criticisms i think about of myself help me to be a better person. Maybe weed helps me open up to myself?

About buddhism and weed, Im not an expert but you should be alright as long as its good and it doesn't make you forget what is important to be aware of

12. #12 TheJourney, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
    The question mostly depends on if you're a buddhist that thinks following traditional interpretations of precepts is important, or realizing deeper truths. The reason for not using weed wouldn't so much be mindfulness as it would be the 5th precept, which says to abstain from intoxicants. Now one could argue here that weed wouldn't fall under this category, since it doesn't debilitate you, but most traditional buddhists would probably say smoking weed violates this precept. From the perspective of ultimate truth, however, there is no 'right' or 'wrong,' and transformation does not come by alteration of outward actions. Therefore, abstaining from weed in action due to a following of some precept would be inconsequential. And, to me, weed is highly beneficial to spiritual/consciousness growth, so in my mind that certainly trumps any precept, especially considering buddhism's own philosophies on ultimate truth. It's certainly an individual choice, though.