Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Buddhism and Mary Jane??

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by coa1e, Dec 29, 2004.

1. This is very random but, Is marijuana associated with buddhism?

2. only thing i know about buddhism is they are atheist. did that help?

3. if only i knew what atheist meant

4. Namymen you are Please, no name calling.*RMJL. Athiests are people that dont have a religon, and dont believe in gods. How can you be buddhist and athiest lol. I'm guessing the buddhists might of used herb for relaxing or spiritual use.

5. Plus Buddhists worship no god, they pay respect to different spiritual figures, e.g, Siddhartha Gottama (I think thats spelled right?). So that is in some sense related to athiesm, except for their other beliefs.

I dont think they use ganja though. They have incense to help with meditation, but generally one of their main beliefs is not to use drugs or drink alcohol, or use anything that clouds the mind.

Although ganja is well known to be part of the Rastafarian religion.

6. Alright, to put an end to this... Buddhists have, for many hundreds of years, used Cannabis. Nowadays, however, they have a more "pure" belief in their mindstates. Early evidence is easily citable for their use, just as it is in Hinduism, which now denounces it. All of these "religions" or philosophies, in their beginnings, used Cannabis to formulate ideas and connect to something spiritual. Hope that helps Sir.

7. i'm into a lot of easter philosiphy, i consider myself more of a Taoist then a Budhist though. Yes they want to keep their mind free, but its more about not drinking alcohol or doing other harder drugs. i smoke and meditate all the time, quite relaxing.

8. a·the·ist
    n.
    One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Atheist are people who dont believe in god, not who dont have a religion. Buddhist dont believe in any gods, theyre atheist.

9. From what I have learned in history classes in the past, Opium rather than Cannabis was more widely used by early buddhists.

10. That'd be completely wrong, as much of Buddhism came from ancient Vedic teachings, deriving new things from them. And the Vedic people most certainly used Cannabis.

11. There are still buddhist sects that only use canabis to deepen there meditation. This along with caffinated green tea to keep ones mind active help reach deeper levels of thought.

12. It depends on the sects of Buddhism. Some sects of Buddhism deny the use of all stimulants, and will not even drink caffienated tea.

13. Sounds like the mormons to me. :)

14. i am a big fan of buddhism, although i would not call myswelf a buddhist, i dont believe any organised religion in the world, buddhism is the one that most accuratly reflects my views but i have ammended the stuff i want... amending it to suit me you say? how stupid you say! but its what i BELIEVE and beliefe is all that matters