Bucket Size - 10, 15 or 20 gallon Smart Pots for Grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by HazePhase, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hello,

I am going to be running 4 - smart pots and I will be vegging for 2 months and then flipping for 2 months.
    I have a 5x5 area to grow and will have a 2 x 2 Scrog on each Smart Pot.
    Going to be running in organic soil from seed so I was wondering for the time frame if 15gallon would be enough or if I should go bigger or if 10 gallon would be enough?

Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 1
  2. do you have number restrictions?
    reason I ask is you could have a LOT quicker and bigger turnaround if you went with a slightly different technique..
    but I realize that's not your question..
    for scrogging at that size i'd go with a 15 gal, no reason to not and try to match your canopy size with a sufficient container size.
    which brings me back to my original point..
    i'd cram more plants in there, less train time, quicker turnaround with more colas in the light foot print.
    a 5x5 is plenty of room for 25 plants topped to produce two colas.
    that's 25 plants times two colas, with most colas typically getting you around 14-20 grams depending.
    so that's a bigger yield, with a faster turnaround.
    over a yr you'll cram in another 1.5 harvests that way, with higher yields per harvest, and quicker turnarounds.
    knowhattamean Verne?

• Like Like x 3
  3. SOG - I was told
    To not do this for seed and to clone and do this next time.
    Plus thought it would be fun to train the plant lol
    I was originally going to do SOG of 15 plants in 3 gallon pots.
    However was told from seed needs more veg time and more flower time so to use clones.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. use the biggest pots you can fit. more soil= bigger plants.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeah that's what I thought.
    I can probably go 30 even - however I'm only vegging for 2 months and flowering for 2 months

6. why? you already said you were veging for two months
    given the time seed or clone would be fine, and they both have advantages.
    but if I were going from clone, i'd do 20-25 double cola plants, all fit in like a glove

7. I hear you.
    The plan was instead of starting all of my 15 seeds to do SOG i would do SCROG with 4 and maybe 5 and make clones for next round :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. You could just reveg out the four after harvest. Idk why more ppl don't do this

• Like Like x 1
  9. naw not going to do that.
    Goign to start a few extra seeds and get some T5's for them ... get them nice and big in my closet for now and clone from them.
    Have Bubble Gum / Sour Diesel and AK47

10. I got a 8x8 that I've done all sorts of different setups, I use perpetual "clones off clones"
    have at least ten keeper strains that I rotate, for yields and quickness the dual cola is the best for sure, but if you do that monocrop style its an unwashed whore to trim all at once, not to mention you need space..
    personally I don't like scrogging unless you are limited by plant restrictions.
    too much work, too much of a whore to trim.
    whole colas are waaay easier, look nicer, and are much easier to maneuver around if you want to rotate stuff
    not tryin to throw shade on your method though man, just saying that's what I concluded

• Like Like x 1
  11. no that is how I wanted to go.
    If i had clones i would have thrown 20-25 plants in my 5x5 in 3 gallon pots and vegged for 1 month and flip for 8 weeks and harvest however I wanted my first grow to be from seeds and to clone from it so I will do this next round for sure.

Can't wait to get this going!

• Like Like x 1

12. I have an old grow my first actually I ran a 5x4x7 area 1000w hps and MH veg. 2 months, used 20g pots. Grew deathstar OG clone, and a blueberry NL I pulled 22, onces. No scroging just lots of LST and toping.

I have a 5x5 1000w now with 2 20 gallon pots, just waiting on my babies to veg. Another 2 weeks. I do not scrog, I mainline. (Top every 3rd node basically) creating 16 cola on each plant. The idea is your creating a mainline to each cola giving each cola equal nutrient uptake. I use organic no till. And only nute with EWC and mollasses. I just grow for personals so I don't worry about getting the extra 1.5 harvest a year. I felt I pull well over my needs, and honestly it more about the act of training and having fun growing the plants than it is about trying to pull weight.

13. Correction 15g pots.
    Deathstar & GG4
    68 days veg.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  14. I say bigger the better. In my experience large soil volumes greatly improve the yield and general health/vigor of plants. Run really big pots full of no till soil and youll be set up to grow the highest quality with the least expense, work and waste.

Also, imo if you have a separate veg room there's really no reason growing just a few trees should yield any less or take much longer than 25 plants in sog. 3-4 30 gallon (or bigger) pots could easily fill that canopy in... Or even better, just fill the whole floor with a bed of soil and build walkways!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heres 20 gallon pots in a 5x7.5 area.

First grow.

Still havnt decided if we wanna run 2 plants per pot or 1... 20170222_072528.jpg

16. Nice
    I hope I didn't go too small with the 15 gallon x 4 in a d 5x5

17. If flower is 60 days these are indica hybrids. If growing from seed filling a 2x2 screen might be ambitious depending on the strain.

QUOTE="HazePhase, post: 23321798, member: 992829"]Hello,

I am going to be running 4 - smart pots and I will be vegging for 2 months and then flipping for 2 months.
    I have a 5x5 area to grow and will have a 2 x 2 Scrog on each Smart Pot.
    Going to be running in organic soil from seed so I was wondering for the time frame if 15gallon would be enough or if I should go bigger or if 10 gallon would be enough?

Thank you very much![/QUOTE]
    F

18. Hmm well I'll see who knows what'll happen.
    It's life being life - let's see how the ladies do and go from there :)
    Worst case I have a friend water them when I leave for vacation.
    :)

19. those Blumats might be worth looking in to...

20. Blumats?