bubble bucket vs miracle grow 6/mo potting soil

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by waterworld, Feb 3, 2013.

1. I've grown many popular strains in my bubble bucket with healthy root development, but my finished weight has rarely been over 6 oz per 1000 watts. I'm not complaining, but my results are certainly not showcasing the potential of a well done DWC grow.

Recently it occurred to me that maybe I should test some of these strains against a good soil grow. It's been years since I've grown in dirt, but how else can I know if it's my DWC technique or the strain I'm growing.

This grow will be with a Blue Dream strain given to me by a trusted friend that states the Donor of the cutting gets 2 Lbs per 1000 watt light. I'm not too excited, as I've heard that before, but if I could do half as good, I could supply more of my friends with Free Medical Marijuana, and I could maybe brag a little bit that I'm the shit! ha ha , but really this post is about finding efficiency.

And a BIG SHOUT out to Rumpleforeskin. It's his technique and standard yield that I hope to one day achieve.

2. Two rooted cuttings of Blue Dream.
    1st one with blue foam insert goes into bubble bucket
    2nd one goes in potting soil

Attached Files:

3. for two days I put them in partial light, now they are able to take full sunlight.
    I have them in a grow tent inside of a small green house. In the day they will get sunlight and by night they are sitting under a 1000 watt hps (with other plants of course).

Attached Files:

4. Here we are 9 days later. They are about equal in size, but they are both about
    to go into a rapid growth spurt. I've got more mature Blue Dream plants that
    I'm watching to see when it's a good time to start the 12/12 cycle.

Attached Files:

5. this puts it into better perspective

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 3 days after transplanting into a 5 gallon bucket
    [​IMG]

7. Today's pictures showing the BB plant growing a bit faster, however this dosen't take into account any transplant shock the dirt bound plant may have endured.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 3 days after transplanting into a 5 gallon bucket[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      174.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Today's pictures showing the BB plant growing a bit faster, however this dosen't take into account any transplant shock the dirt bound plant may have endured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
  10. #10 Arcturon, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
    It's all looking beautiful. The roots and setup look very nice.
    If I may make a few observations, it seems that the plant in the bubble bucket is a bit discolored. Have you been giving it enough nutrients, or too many? What kind of nutrients are you using?
    Also, what how far away is your light? It seems stretched, but that definitely could just be me.
    Do you check your pH every day?

11. Welcome to Grass City waterworld. I came by to check out your grow. So far they are looking good. Can't wait to see some bud! So far its looking good though. Keep up the great work. :smoking::smoke::bongin:

12. Thank you, Arcturon,for your comments, and good eye. Yes the discoloration was due to me forgetting that Dyna grow nutrients--although having everything-- doesn't have enough calcium or magnesium when not switched out every other day. I rushed out and bought some GH flora micro and everything turned nice and dark green about 3 days later. I check my ph about every 3 to 4 days, but as the plants consume more than 1/2 a gallon of water per day, I will be checking more often.

The plant is getting full greenhouse sunlight during the day, and at night is about 18- 24" away from a 1000 watt hps. It does look like it's stretching, and my other dirt-bound Blue Dream plants are not stretching at all.

13. Thank you, rizzo30, I'll post some pics of the Blue Dream mothers that I received in dirt. They are about 33 days into flowering and look like they might do pretty well.

14. #14 Arcturon, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    Looks like you got it all together like a champ! Well planned, and well executed.
    That kind of an eye for deficiencies is a lifesaver with hydro. Nice job on the quick thinking, and I think it is always a good plan the check the pH every day.

I also based my bucket solely on Rumple's design. It works out so nice.

Do you have a fan blowing on those plants? I can improve light penetration as well as strength while applying a very low amount of stress, allowing for accelerated and stable growth, very beneficial to the plant.

As for the lights, perfect job.

keep it up, man. :hello: Looking forward to more pics! :D

15. Thank you for the encouraging words. You're right about checking ph daily, I'm guilty no excuses. I do have a box fan blowing all the time. Each plant's leaves are at least gently moving And when the 12" exhuast fan kicks in it creates a good additional draft.

here they are today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Here's a scrog technique inspired by mechanibus. I have another plant about as big that has not been trained. I believe they are about 9 days into the 12/12 cycle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. And for fun, here is the original donated Blue Dream mother now at about 35 days flowering. the colas are only the size of a half dollar in diameter, but I'm still pretty excited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Today's disparity between the two. (The yellowish color is just the sunlight messing up my pics:) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Yesterday's pics at 2 days 12/12 cycle. I wanted to grow them a little bigger before the switch but I ran out of room in my tent and green house.
    I Have to fill the bubble bucket with about a gallon of RO water every day. I'm adjusting the ph and nutes every other day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: