broken main stem, please help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by prettydarndope, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I have an outdoor plant thats just about to finish vegging, its getting pretty big but today the main stem split! I tipped the plant to grow into a Y, then i LST'd the two main stems down to make it like a T. While i was pulling the stems apart to tie them down i pulled too hard and the main stem split in 2!!! the split is about 3 inches long, immediatley after it happened i tied it back together with dentall floss but at the top there is still about a quarter inch gap in the split! will my plant die? any help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. probably!It is a shame

3. silent18, you are ill-informed and pessimistic. Don't go about throwing your clouds over the man's hopes.

You did the right thing by tying it up. You might want to remove the floss and splint it with cellotape. Do not lose hope! A split stem is hardly any more damaging than taking too many clippings for clones or grafting. The plant may be in shock for awhile, but keep her watered and the split tied together and she'll probably pull through healthier than ever.

4. remove the dental floss, use electrical tape, its elastic. wrap the stem tightly so there is no gap, it will repair itself within a couple weeks and you can remove the tape

5. Not to hijack, but is there any benefit you've found using electrical tape over scotch tape?

6. scotch tape will work just fine,

elecrical tape is elastic & flexible to fit any contour, I find it aids in a tight binding or if you need to leave it on for any length of time from say a real weak side branch it will expand as the plant needs to grow

7. I see :) Thanks for the advice!