Broken ballast, power went out

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by carsondavis, Nov 28, 2016.

1. IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1901.JPG The power went out in my grow room and the ballast isn't working. I've been growing her with a 600w HPS light, but while it was lights out some time in middle of the night the power went out because of it. I have the power back on, but of course the light doesn't work. She is on her last week or two of flowering and I've been preparing her for harvest, flushing her etc. Anyways, I'm wondering what I should do? she got a few extra hours of lights out, and now I have some cfl's set up in there. Her schedule is all screwed up without my timer and she got more than 12 hours of light yesterday. I'm wondering if I should try to finish her with the cfl's, just let her ripen with lights off for a few days, or just harvest? Will she be alright?

2. not fully understanding your situation. Sounds like your saying your ballast tripped the circuit running it because it went bad?? The timer is bad too?...plug cfl's into timer.

3. I'm not 110% sure what's wrong or exactly what happened but I'll try to explain a little better. One night while I was sleeping the power went out and I noticed when I woke up. At first I thought it was just my room, but it turned out that a couple rooms in the same area also lost power (including the grow room). Had the power been working, he lights should have been on at that time. I had to mess around to get the power working again, but I got it back on. Everything in the grow room was working except the light. I changed the bulbs to see if that would get them on again, but that didn't work so I've decided that the ballast was broken. In a panic, I hooked up quite a few clf lights to finish her off. Unfortunately I can't plug them into the timer because there just isn't enough plugs for all the lights (vs my one cord) and it'd be pointless to have a couple turn off if some would still be on. I wanted to make sure she got a good 12 hours of light but I had to leave and now she has had around 16 hours of light. Now I'm going to get her back on a 12-12 schedule so I'll just turn lights on later tonight.

4. get a power strip and plug that into timer and multiple cords in power strip. Also check ballast. Most electronic ballasts have a built in breaker on them. If its popped out its tripped.

5. Wondering if you figured out what happened. Same thing happened to me. I changed bulbs and nothing. Turned out I didn't wait long enough for the hps to come back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. That sucks. Hope you get it squared away. Makes me thankful for my old light setup in the closet

Space Candy grow. ....
    Space Candy x5 2x 600w

7. Actually, my bulb was blown! Ballast ended up being broken, had to get a new one.

8. Yes I set up some cfl's (like 5 lol) until I could get a new ballast. Her light cycle is definitely off, but she's at least back to a timer and HPS

9. You've learned a valuable lesson: it's always better to spend the extra $ to keep at least 1 extra ballast/bulb around, in case shit like this happens.

• Like Like x 1