British man dies from caffeine overdose

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Bartowski, Oct 11, 2013.

1. #1 Bartowski, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24492833

Let me start by saying that I'm not using this tragic death as a vehicle for marijuana legalisation. I just want to underline that legal substances can be deadly, unlike the herb. People really need to realise the harm and addiction that can result from caffeine consumption. I believe that products high in caffeine content should be placed behind the counter, as suggested in the article.

What are your thoughts?

2. Fuck alcohol. Fuck caffeine. Fuck tobacco.

Smoke Cannabis.

3. Caffeine is the good stuff.. shit twice the adult daily rec.... thafs nothing this guy obv had some serious health issues. Because plenty of peiple xo sume 2-4x the daily reccomendation for caffeine... daily rec Is prolly around 100-150mg

Uve taken preworkout enrgy drinks that has 600mg caffeine. Shit just plaine dangerous in one dose deff felt sone heart palpatations.

4. #4 inhumainpapaya, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
    I think restricting its sale might just mitigate the onus placed on consumers to act responsibly, thus limiting education about caffeine. Paracetamol (i think americans call it acetaminophen) is available on the shelf and it has a horrible, fulminant OD. This practice is acceptable because buyers can be trusted to identify the product as potentially dangerous and to use care. I think a shift in how people view caffeine needs to occur before these new high-caffeine products are safe but personally, don't like the idea of restriction at point of sale.

I love coffee- increases ability to learn, concentrate, stay awake, possibly reduces risk of stroke and parkinson's disease

5. You can die drinking water too

i dont see the big deal

6. I think I almost died from a laughing overdose

7. i agree that folks should educate themselves a little more on coffee/caffeine, but i dont even want to imagine the backlash if there was a rationing of sorts....you dont fuck with peoples coffee. not mine cause i dont drink it haha.

8. Terrible things would happen if you banned caffeine. People like to joke about it "oh i'm addicted to caffeine lol" but for real so many people can't even get up in the morning without their caffeine boost

9. I see the article states he had a liver condition. Makes you wonder which PHARMA drugs he may have been on. They never include that info, do they? Hmmmm........

10. Or maybe it's not included because the facts of the story don't align with your assumptions. Maybe he was an alcoholic or had a genetic disorder.

11. Why would you call someone out about "assumptions" only to reply with your own assumptions?
    I don't know and you don't know and it wasn't included in the article. Kinda the point, boss.

12. Didn't know it was possible  to create your own demise from Caffeine.

13. You can definitely OD on caffeine, never heard of it happening from coffee. I would imagine you'd have to take a ton of caffeine pills for that to happen.

14. Oh I see he ate caffeine mints? Never heard of those, sound sick.

15. I once took to many caffeine pills and OD'd, quite embarrasingly it is the only drug I've over dosed on.  

I vomited every time I moved plus had severe anxiety the whole time felt like I was gonna die and that actually seemed like a positive thing because of how I was feeling.  Lasted about 8 hours till I fell asleep, anyway not good at all, not surprised it can cause death if you take even more than I did. 

16. #16 0ri0n, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    A mint with 160mg of caffeine?! That's a ridiculous amount, like with a drink you have to pace yourself, and I don't know anyone who can stomach 30 cups of coffee in a day. but if you wanted you could just pop 20 mints and goodbye world. The lethal dose for caffeine is right about 2-2.5 grams. Most I've ever hit is 1.2 and I was fuckin' SPACED,  idk how he didn't realize something was wrong unless he ate them all at once.

17. legal things people die from every year:
    caffeine
    aspirin
    alcoholic beverages
    tobacco
    prescription drugs
    over the counter drugs
    salt
    spices
    meat
    puffer fish
    rocks
    sticks
    bullets
    arrows
    cars
    trucks
    trains
    plains
    pillows
    WATER!...this shit kills people every day, yet it is everywhere, even offered to people for free in government buildings or big shopping areas...hell your kids are allowed to consume it in school! :eek:

pot is illegal in most places...yet it has never killed anyone.... :bongin:

18. There was an episode of a 1000 ways to die on Spike Tv that had a story of a woman that died of a caffeine OD, she consumed in a short time 4 large energy drinks which accelerated her heart enough that it exploded. So yes its possible. I won't claim 1000 ways to die as a very reliable source, but they do claim that their story depictions are based off real death facts.

19. yet another reason why our government is corrupt and hypocritical. Good find OP, gonna send that link to my mom to scare her outta drinking that crap.

20. . I always wondered if those deaths were real or that the creators was just fucking with me. That's crazy though, the people who caused their own death weren't realizing that they were putting their life at total risk. Also I can't forget that somebody died from 4 lokos which also have the ingredient of Caffeine. But however, weed still wins unless some dumbass fucks it up for everybody.