Bringing plants in at night

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by nickythagreek, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Hey guys, first post. I've been growing for a few years but now I am in Arizona so I am still getting used to the climate change.
    Long story short, I have two late season soil plants that I started outdoors in early August. They are in the 4th-5th week of flowering now and looking pretty nice. I feed them once a week with gh flora nova bloom nutes from my hydro setup, diluted at about 1 tsp per gallon of water and it seems to be working out well.
    My issue now is the temp differences out here in AZ. I've never grown this late in the season. Right now, it's about 75-80F during the day and dropping to around 50F at night, so I have been bringing them inside when the sun goes down, and putting them back out in the morning. Is this going to slow down my grow significantly? My one girl gets a little droopy when put out in the morning, but perks back up by mid afternoon. Can't really think of another solution. Thoughts?

2. Unless the temps are getting down to where you fear frost, leave them out. They're very hardy and don't have problems taking the coolness. Just make sure they don't get frosted on and you'll be just fine. TWW

3. Thanks for the quick response dude. Good to know. I'm still a little worried that the 20-25 degree drop throughout the night might shock them a little. I'm in the desert, so there is a big difference between daytime temps and nighttime temps, especially at this point in the year (avg. High/low temps are at about 75F/50F). Do you think they would benefit at all if I dropped a sheet of plastic over top at night?

4. 50 degrees at night won't bother them at all..
    Good advice here..
    While you can protect plants from light frost with cloth like a sheet using plastic is asking for mold as it traps all the moisture and the plant will be dripping wet come morning..
    I grow outside year round in Southern California with no trouble but I am close to the ocean so it helps moderate my temps..

BNW

5. It's going to be in the 30's starting tonight and all this up coming week and the 50's during the day where I live. I'll be taking my plant in at night for sure. Also it is going to be harvest time for me as well. Just another week to go. Trichomes are all turning milky with a few amber here and there.

6. Same here, dipping into the 30's overnight and mid 50's low 60's day temps.
    I can't bring mine in the house, they're in the ground.

Here's what I came up with to not only keep them vegging, but they sure seem to be enjoying the little extra warmth the lights provide. I cover them while it's still light enough to see, and I remove the buckets before the timer shuts off at 8am. I used the curved bricks for higher clearance.

PA090001.jpg
    PA090002.jpg
    PA090003.jpg

7. Yeah, I forgot to mention that my girl is in a 5 gallon bucket.

8. The fact that you want to carry them into the house tells me yours are not in the ground. That would work fine if you don't have too many plants going on.
    I've done the same in a 7 gallon bucket like you see over over those plants.

crop shot 1.jpg
    The one in the center of the picture that is flowering had a bucket over the tomato cage and a trash bag pulled down over the sides. Could put a light in there if needed?

I don't have a pat answer, I'm just sharing my hillbilly ideas that work for me.

9. I wish I could have the plants in the ground but I'm too paranoid about it and it seems like it is much safer for me to grow in 5 gallon buckets. Plus I'm able to bring them in the house at night when temps are dipping down low.(obviously) Also I like the fact that I can bring them in at night when it is really close to harvesting incase of thieves.

10. Do you guys have to worry about bud rot out there in these cool temps or is it too dry for bud rot?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

11. I lose a lot to mold. It's been kind of a kooky year weather wise. I'm test driving a different strain right now.

12. Southern California even close to the ocean with wet night air and dew covered plants in the mornings I haven't found any bud mold.. What we do have up the ass is an endless supply of Moths and the Caterpillars they bring and plenty of Powdery Mildew..
    I run outside all year long getting in 4 crops per year in the same holes in the yard.. Even in winter it's just to dry day in and day out to give us that trouble or so I've found it to be the case..
    BNW

13. Have you ever tried a little vinegar spray concoction? I don't deal with much mold out here in the desert, but occasionally the conditions are right. As soon as I see it I hit em with a little spray (about 1 tsp apple cider vinegar per gallon of water) and make sure I hit the mold spots real well. One spray down usually does the trick and never gave me any problems.

14. Thanx,
    I steer away from home made concoctions ever since I destroyed a favorite plant with baking soda.
    That's great if it works for you, but I'ma skeerd from now on.

15. Those night temps may also cause the plants to get very colorful. I envy those temp ranges u have!