bringing home a peice on international flight?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Mittens024, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ok so i used the search function, but no posts answerd my question really, or fit my circumstance.

i have a bowl i bought here in germany, iv used it yes. is there any way to clean it 100%. also i am going to fly out of the frankfurt airport to dulles airport. what are the legalities if bringing pieces in airports, on airplanes, and back to the states?

2. My guess is that as long as you clean it to the point where it looks brand new, you should be fine.

Best options for that are either ISO + Salt, or Simple Green/Grunge Off. Either way will get your piece sparkling new.

3. my piece isnt really see through glass, iv heard boiling glass works too. i would just need a foolproof way of doing it, if i cant make it back to america im gonna go apeshitinsane.

4. Well, when I did the rubbing alochol and salt method to clean my peice the last time, I let it sit over night because I had actually forgotten about it.:smoke:

It didn't really do anything, I shook it up some more, and rinsed it in the sink, all the gunk came out, but still left a little bit of residue underneath the side of the bowl area, I used a paperclip and scraped it all out. It looked BRAND NEW, I'm not saying oh it was as good as new, it was BRAND NEW. The only problem is, it still reeked of bud. So I let it sit in another baggy of rubbing alochol for about an hour, the smell was sort of gone, not really noticeable unless your right in its face. As long as you clean it CLEAN IT, you should be set.

But also, I don't fly all around the world, so you might want to check some of the laws and what goes down at the airport, I know the airport closest to me has the k9 people and shit that way. Not sure, hoped I help a lil bit :hello:

5. One figure out if this bowl is worth international trouble. Montel Williams received a 600 dollar fine just for having a bowl, whether it was resined up or not I have no idea. If it is worth it you will need to clean the shit out of that sucker. Let it soak in iso+salt or simple green. Do this several times as resin has ways of hiding. I would then wash it with soap and rinse several times.

Even then I would leave it in germany, or mail it to myself after above cleaning.

6. it cost 75 euro, and its sexy as shit. so im gonna boil it, soak it in iso, then mail it back with my belongings.

7. if they find even the tiniest amount of resin on there your fucked so dont take any chances. or pay a child to take it over for you lol jk

8. I went to Aruba two years ago and I bought a sick wooden bowl with Bob Marley carved into it. I did not have time to clean that shit and I really, really wanted to bring it home! I considered the consequences and I decided to wrap that shit up real nice in my little dob kit and chuck it in my luggage, haha. The luggage got back to Boston just fine :D I felt like a badass smuggler hahahaha

9. DO NOT BOIL YOUR GLASS

I repeat

DO NOT BOIL YOUR GLASS

Mistakes are easy to happen while boiling it. Iso+salt or SG is all you need.

DO NOT BOIL YOUR GLASS

Also do not mail it back with your belongings, that gives ties to yourself if they do feel like pursuing you having a smoking device. Simply mail it back in another package.

10. Nothing wrong with boiling borosilicate, it is recommended right on the Roor.de websight and if i have to choose whos advice to listen to, sorry but, Martin Birzle's advice is going to whoop on Mard and his 1 bar of rep, lol. No offense man, its just the way it is...lol

What i think Mard is trying to say, and i agree with, is DO NOT BOIL CHINA(soft) GLASS...

11. Have it 100% clean spotless from any cannabis resin, you could even try shipping it to yourself.

12. lol, the TSA wont even let you bring a water bottle on the airplane and you want to bring a used marijuana pipe on the plane. not only is this extremley dumb idea, but most likely pointless considering the bowl prob costed you 5 bucks or some gay shit like thatw

13. National Security vs. 1 pot head with a pipe. Completely different aspects of concern to the country.

Read the thread next time?

14. If TSA finds it they will take it and charge you. Clean it and ship it.

15. How does one thing costing 5 bucks become "some gay shit" because of that reason ?

16. OP said it was 75 euro already. The guy is trolling or dumb, just ignore.

17. Yeah, boiling a pipe does a pretty good job. Just make sure you put the pipe in before you start boiling the water, because if you just throw the pipe in boiling water, it will crack from the sudden temperature change.

18. Borosilicate is ALOT less susceptible to thermal expansion than soft glass. You don't have to put it in first or anything with boro. This is the same glass scientists fill beakers and flasks with cold funky nasty stuff, and stick it on a fired up hot plate so it heats it quickly. No worries with boro, it is the proper material for this application.

DO NOT DO THIS WITH SOFT CHINA GLASS....

19. #19 Mardhyn, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
    What does my reputation have to do with anything. As long as it isn't red my opinion should be valid. Anyway you may be correct and this is just a problem with china glass, but heating up glass will make it more susceptible to breakage. Especially if any sudden temperature changes occur. Not only that but if it is resined up you get your pot stained and the room smelling like shit.

Iso+Salt or Simple green is what you should use to clean a piece, it works well enough and the only time you can destroy a piece through these methods is if you somehow fuck up. Why not just go with the safer and cleaner method. :confused:

You're going to have to provide a better explanation other then "RooR.de says so", even if you have more rep then I do.

And not hating, just going on personal experience and trying to help this fellow get his bowl home.

Edit - Read your last post and that makes much more sense. Still would just go with Iso or SG though. :smoke:

Edit 2 - I read back through and as far as I can tell no one said this bowl was made out of boro. A mark up of 75 doesn't mean it is going to be quality glass.