Bring on the Fracking.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by joeblow82, Dec 12, 2013.

1. #1 joeblow82, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    Interesting article that Fracking is rapidly hitting critical mass and about to explode. Already we produce more oil from three states then the entirety of Iran with even the lowest projections we will exceed the entirety of the Middle East around middle time of next decade. That is just from one area! To give you a idea of how much oil that can be obtained there is a area that is located in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming that has a estimated trillion barrels of shale oil. 1 Trillion barrels of oil is roughly one entire century of oil at current rates of usage. Natural Gas is 4 bucks per MMBtu, in the EU its 10, Asia ... in the teens. This will fundamentally change all aspects of the US Economy and the world order. 

THE FRACKING RENAISSANCE  

There is a boom coming from the private sector that looks to rewrite the American story for the next generation.
    It is possibly the life preserver this country needs as it attempts to correct itself from decades of expanding debts. These two forces together will upend the labor markets of the world. America is becoming a manufacturing and energy powerhouse once again due to this combination punch of robots and the unlocking of untapped resources.
    This story has been in the works for a while, but the technologies are now beginning to hit escape velocity. When we combine cheap and domestic energy sources with the latest in robotic automation, the balance of trade will shift back to our shores, creating a re-shoring renaissance. The rise of these technologies has been chugging along, but until recently, the critical cost point was not breached. 
    The potential lay dormant to the casual observer. Their power is much like a seed in your garden – the ingredients are all there to make the mightiest redwood from the smallest of seeds if the conditions are favorable. With a tree, it is the combination of water, sunlight, and nutrients that facilitate its growth. In the case of our domestic manufacturing base, it is the cheap energy derived from horizontal drilling and fracking combined with the marriage of computing power and high-mobility engineering.
    Over the last decade, we have all learned what happens when businesses using low-priced wages are able to have access to western markets. We have witnessed the rise of a once poor nation, China, as it replaced Japan as the world's second largest economy. Jobs that we once did from home have moved to the other side of the world due to the startling cost advantages associated with manufacturing over there. Luckily for us, the winds of change are now reversing, as American know-how is being applied to overcome the lure of $1.74-an-hour wages. When priced against automation and low cost inputs, the equation of where to locate manufacturing centers begins to shift back home.
    Most people know a little about fracking and horizontal drilling from hyped movies like Gasland, in which someone lights his kitchen tap water on fire to create a false sense of panic and sell tickets. Sure, there are always concerns with the adoption of new technologies, but these environmental hurdles can be overcome as long as the cost differential is wide enough. Natural gas, which costs less than $4.00/MMBtu in the U.S., is more than $10.00/MMBtu in much of Europe. It is in the teens in Asia. We are not talking a few percentage points here; we are talking price differentials so large that it will upend the energy markets of the last half-century. America may be the new Saudi Arabia.
    When combining this cheap power and feedstock source with low-cost automation empowered by specialized optics, highly accurate sensors, and improved mobility, the re-shoring of America will begin to gather steam.
    Stepping back, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to ship materials halfway across the globe only to then ship them back. Close contact with suppliers has always been one of manufacturing's greatest obstacles because response time is so critical in the modern and increasingly customized marketplace. The combination of these forces makes domestic production the best choice as long as the price is right. Going forward, that price is going down more and more. The result is that America will begin seeing the return of lost manufacturing to our shores from places like China.
    This re-shoring, of course, will have its detractors. Seeing the replacement of some workers with robots and drilling pads in once-empty fields across the country is bound to scare the public. Media will play into these misplaced fears, but what's really scary is America's economic vulnerability if we don't move in this direction.
    Implementing and leveraging these competitive advantages in a worldwide marketplace is a national security issue far greater than the need for another aircraft carrier or forward positioning of American soldiers on foreign lands to support two-bit oil-producing dictators. The cost savings alone from the reduction in need to maintain a massively expensive military force, as well as the price savings in the average Joe's food and electric bill, may free up the economy just enough to begin the critical healing process of balancing the federal budget. The recycling of money from neighbor to neighbor, rather than from American to foreigner, will help lower unemployment and lessen our dependence on welfare programs. 
    Sure, there may be other technological miracles around the corner, but today these are the two best ways to help turn things around and get the country back on a firm footing. The Terminator will soon be here, but rather than being on a mission to exterminate humanity, he will more likely be making my next car, which will be powered by American gas and maintained by my neighbor.

2. #2 biggram, Dec 12, 2013
    Can have Utah and Wyoming but don't frac up Colorado!Have you seen what frac does to the environment? Holy balls! I saw a documentary about it and this guy supposedly went out to the creek that he has lived around forever and found dead aquatic life and this weird gas bubbling. So for some reason he decides to funnel this gas coming out of the creek and the gas actually ignites and stays burning! This used to be his childhood swim and fishing hole. Have you seen any of these films? There was a frac op within a mile of his property.

3. Studies of fracking show increasingly that it is bad for the earth and environment, and is already creating problems for those who live in areas where it takes place. It is a desperate measure that will backfire on us.

MelT

4. ^ Sorry buddy but there are tons of pumps already running in CO.  Between Denver and Fort Collins there is nothing but pumps, and new drilling going on.  Wasn't like that 5 years ago.  At least not the scale they are drilling now.

5. Seems like more people potentially sacrificing future welfare for a reward now. Just another way my generation and the next is being fucked over. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Like melt was saying, new studies are coming out that show how devastating fracking is on the the environment. One particular one I've read states that it can increase rate and intensity of earthquakes as it increases sub surface pressure beneath and along tectonic plates. That's the whole mechanism behind fracking, they pump a solution into the earth to create pressure that will force the gases they want to extract to the surface.

Along another note that the OP's article brought up, that the vast unused resources that the north american continent holds is what will really save us from any kind of outside threat whether economical or just straight warfare. Being a three state continent surrounded by oceans with good relations between the three states doesn't hurt either.

7. Well the reports on fracking are very variable. Some say it does some says it does not. If you do not read up or live there its unreal what is going on right now in terms of how many are involved in this. The train has left the station on it. 

This year our fracking experts went to China to show them how to do this as well. The Chinese government is prepping for massive amounts of fracking. So whatever the objection and in the light of the most highly restrictive EPA in existence they have not been able to stop it and most likely will not be able to in the future. 

Theres always a cost for human activity. What do you think happens to all that trash you generate? How about all that sewage? We produce to much trash that we do not have the landfills to deal with it...there are barges of trash that simply run up and down the coast of the US from lack of options to get rid of it. I used to live in Atlanta and they pump raw sewage by the millions of gallons daily into the rivers. The price to be paid for our existence. It will only get worse as the human population races to 10-20 billion humans. By 2050 they estimate the US will have a excess of 500 million people. Thats basically almost a doubling of our population...what do you think it will be like then? 

Your joking if you think a increase in that short of a time considering our practices today the planet will be this eco paradise. All of that is out the door. Its not even doable.  

8. Straight up, we're getting close if not already well beyond the threshold of what our planet's many ecosystems can endure of our throw away lifestyle. Forget the many barges of trash that go up and down our coasts looking for a place to dump their loads, we got whole fucking islands of trash just floating out in our oceans. Not to mention mile long flows of plastics that are just beneath the surface of these same oceans.

I don't think we'll be ready or able to deal with these problems we created once we've passed the point of no return. And going full bore with these new processes like cracking without fully understanding the global implications is just another nail in our species(if not the whole world's) coffin.

Thats why you basically live in the Golden Age I think. The future no matter how you do the math is going to be rough. So you can either pretend or just basically accept it. 

If you could time warp to 2100 which in the scheme of things is not far you would visit a radically changed world. A planet with 20-30 billion souls, resources running out, pollution on a scale unseen. 

People think the US is bad on the enviroment were near the gold standard. China with 1.5 billion humans actually closer to 2 then 1.5 does not even have a "Clean Air or Clean Water" Act. They have ZERO laws governing any of this. So whatever you do if your a resident of the US or the EU its 1000% nullified by what there doing in China. China is building over 20 coal plants a month as well. 

Meander over to India where over 1 billion humans use cow dung or coal to cook with for every meal. The amount of pollution they generate and as they industrialize generate is off the scale. 

Take Japan they eat a very large amount of fish..so much so there harvesting the oceans to the point of extinction then they refuse to even acknowledge the subject. They still hunt waits to eat for gods sake. 

Theres no stopping this train the only thing countries can do is exploit the resources now to ensure there future. Fracking is as good as any and it will ensure the US's economic dominance for decades to come...it already is actually. 

10. . Living well now for an even bleaker tomorrow is not going to end well. Fracking turns ground water poisonous, creating a break in the environmental chain that undermines all life-forms in the areas it is carried out. Ban it now.

MelT

11. #11 Sam_Spade, Dec 12, 2013
    I agree on the moratoriums of fracking practices.

One of the more disturbing issues associated with fracking is the appropriation of public and first nation land for these purposes. It is all the more disturbing that the government is blatantly acting as corporate enforcers in these demonstrations of first nation sovereignty. It's not surprising at all, but it still shocks me.

It is a form of development that is so incredibly short sighted and ill-conceived that I really think it becomes our responsibility as consumers to start informing ourselves and acting. The externalities involved with fracking are off the charts.

It's not an issue of getting involved. We already are - the issue is asserting your agency.

Good luck telling the people of the Dakotas that. Place is booming...a under 3% unemployment and the highest concentration of millionaires being generated. I think South Dakota has over 500 millionaires from selling the mineral rights to the companies to frack. 

Lots of other oil based stuff is happening as well. Israel and Australia jointly have explored one of the largest oil wells off Israel's cost found in a long time. Israel should be energy independent towards the end of this decade as well as Australia. 

Wander over to Japan and they have spent literally billions on methane hydrate recovery...the ocean floor is covered in it. I believe a year ago they had the worlds first successful recovery of that for energy use. There going full speed ahead..towards the end of 2030 they should be near energy independent. 

If you go down to the Gulf made the news this summer they found what they believe to be a a area that has more oil then Saudi Arabia. Its accessible as well. 

Contrary to popular belief Fossil Fuel use is accelerating with a near unlimited supply at our hands now. The days of traditional oil wells are about done. One of the biggest reason alternative energy sources are not even a interest now. I read that even upgrading Nuclear Reactors is to expensive. There simply going to shut them down since Natural Gas boom is happening. The three nuclear reactors coming on line soon in the South were started early part of last decade so there committed to them. Those utilities actually wish they never built the dam things. 

13. I love extra chemicals in my drinking water...it makes a body good!

I'm not arguing any of that.

15. If more than 1/3 of the earth's carbon resources are burned we're all gonna fucking die. You can't ignore the dangers of Carbon emissions Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I remember hearing from my professor that people could take a lighter to their faucet and it would catch on fire because of fracking. This was in PA i believe