Breeding/Seed Harvesting Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by TapEmbargo, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I am still on my first grow which is finally taking off and doing very well. I want to find a good mother eventually, but am also interested in banking a bunch of seeds to stockpile for the future.

I have 7 plants going right now, 5 that are mostly (80-90%) sativa and 2 that are mostly indica. I do not know the sex yet, but based on what I have read I should be expecting a few males in the group. If I end up with one and collect some pollen, could I fertilize a few flowers on one of the girls without disrupting the rest of the bud? Basically, I would like to get mostly smoke and a few seeds off each female plant. Would this disrupt the trichrome production on the rest of the plant that is not fertilized?

Thanks for the help!

-Cheers-
    Tap

2. This is what u do TapEmbargo, of course when your male's have been identified u need to seperate them from the females, the pollen wants to be airborne, so don't leave the males in the room your intake is located. Collect the pollen in a small sealable container. Take a small, fine paintbrush and gently brush your female plant on the buds and branch's. Now use a bag and elastic to cover the pollinated area. Voila! Seeds!

3. Thanks for the quick reply. So, I am assuming that the bag over the fertilized branch is used to keep any other fertilization from taking place? Do you have to use a clear bag to allow light to pass? Will this technique affect the rest of the plant? How many seeds can I expect per flower pollinated?

Thanks again!

-Cheers-
    Tap

4. bump/