Breaking: Obama orders plug pulled on 70,000+ blogs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sir Elliot, Jul 17, 2010.

1. oh noes a law

(major) movies almost always come out on top in sales, with eventual dvd sales and redbox and netflix to boot. huge companies like dreamworks and universal can afford a select group of geeks that pirate

2. Exactly... its not like downloading pirated movies, software, etc... is going to put people out of work because they can't make money anymore. They're still making shit tons of money.

3. It still is stealing, technically.

The reason I don't really care about pirating is because the internet allows the inherent value of goods really shine... Like with movies and music the inherent value is 0. For most people, music isn't important enough to buy. Same with movies and television shows. They download them because their real value is a lot closer to 0 than it is to pay the cable or iTunes bill...

4. and that's another thing...if you do buy cable/satellite tv, then you should automatically be able to download at leat tv shows and older movies which you can see on tv.

I'll buy music that i really like from my favorite artists, but only hard copies. I'm not going to pay anyone for a digital download, especially when its an MP3 which is a lower quality than uncompressed music on cd.

and the other thing is the media companies trying to control how we use our media. Like buying some digital media and only being able to use it on one device, or a select few...BS.

Also....this is a little off topic, but why now that we have dvd's and bluray is there such a big deal about copying movies? I never remembered any body making such a big deal when you rented a VHS and dubbed it to a blank. exact same thing, just the media has changed

5. #65 H2O420, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
    Piracy is theft of something someone else created, the amount of money the creator makes is irrelevant.

I'm okay with music and movie piracy, but please don't bitch if you get caught.

Think of it this way: your friend stole an essay someone wrote for school and got an A on it, and you thought it was cool because it was your friend. But if he stole your paper, you'd be pissed.

Strange animals us. :confused:

6. All the nauseating Obama apologists are only assuming that this was done for copyright infringement reasons. So faithful they are.

Why web host shut down still a mystery

Even if it was a crackdown on infringement it wasn't done with respect to the law.

7. More nauseating are the useful-idiot chicken littles. ;)

8. Statism is digusting. Do tell: what information (read: evidence) do you have that any law has been violated?

I always thought you were innocent until proven guilty. Guess not.

9. What evidence do you have that they're not innocent? It has nothing to do with you or me or anyone here, we're all spectators.

No one is saying anything, nobody knows anything, claiming that the sky is falling doesn't help.

10. Innocent until proven guilty. No one is claiming the sky is falling, just that some innocent people have had their blogs shut down.

11. From aaronman's own link, from the server host:

Even the site that broke this story doesn't have the impending context of doom for individual liberties as some of the sensationalist posts here do.

12. #72 iampolluted2, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
    i'm still waiting for the pics of obama in his dive gear armed with a hammer systematically wailing on that pipe until it burst.....couldn't have been the fucking people standing on the rig, or the owner of the rig, or the maintenance people, or just natures way of saying fuck you.....it was obama!

and for the record....sharing music/movies is what gets you tossed in jail. if you do not own the original copy of what you just downloaded for free, it is copyright infringement technically. you can own, copy and use your purchased material. you CANNOT give away copy's of said material. i have a hundreds of cd's and many i've given away, or sold. it'd be difficult/impossible for anyone to prove they were never purchased. hosting files is the same thing as giving away copies of a movie. it's not the people who download, it's the people who share files. sadly, dl'ing requires someone having to share.

13. I'm way more disturbed by the willingness of people to trust & defend the state than those that are skeptical of the state's actions, but I do read history so I'm not the most impartial observer.

This is still a mystery to me, yet somehow the usual statists have got it figured out. :confused:

14. At least there is one sensible person in this. I'm just worried about my future, In class I would read all of the history book not just the lessons they would assign us in class because I love to learn but I see history repeating itself. Why is everyone in denial that America can become a non-free country. Its not fucking Left or Right anymore I wish people could at least see that.

15. Burst, BurstNet, Nocster - Downtime! - Web Hosting Talk

Glad I asked my computer-smart friend about this. :smoking:

16. Sure they can, but Obama is protecting the glorious ideals of capitalism! Oh, glorious capitalism!

17. [​IMG]

Like I said, anything that goes on the web will be free. Be smart about it.

18. There would be no copyright laws in capitalism, ASSHOLE. :D :p ;)

19. So, now that the FCC and the appropriate parties involved with copyright issues have denied involvement with this... it is appearing that the FBI ordered all 70,000 blogs taking down for reasons of "National Security."

How many opinion blogs must be shut down before we are 'safe'?

20. If it's not too much trouble, could I see a source for this information?