Brand new to hydroponics...need help where to look

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Mikkos, Jan 30, 2014.

1. I have grown 3 plants from soil before about 4 years ago. I recently moved into a new apartment that has 3 closets...one being a huge walk-in closet. I have been doing some reading and I want to start growing again. 
    Except this time, I want to grow it with hydroponics. Specifically a DWC setup and grow with LED's. I have no clue what I am doing with the DWC or LED's. Can someone point me in the direction to some good reads as to the best DWC systems, best LED's and basic information to get my DWC grow going?

Thank you!!!!

2. very dangerous doing a grow where you dont own the property. proceed with caution

3. You're here, brother! Nowhere else to look. I grew in soil for a couple years before switching to DWC. Learned almost everything I needed to know about soil grows here. Then when I switched to DWC I researched more here for about another year before diving into hydro. And I respectfully disagree with the statement about growing at a place you don't own. Hell, half the people here I would bet aren't homeowners. As long as you're careful and keep your mouth shut, I mean really don't tell a fucking soul, you should be fine. Good luck.

4. @[member="Bud Daddy"] my last grow was in an apartment but I had the tent and everything setup. No smell and no damage, plus I have my medical card here in cali.@ondayjd thanks bro!! How much did you pull off each plant using dwc? Did you use LEDs as well?Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I also started from soil for 4 years then a buddy got me a bunch of hydro buckets and equipment so I used this forum to help as a walkthrough.
    The people on here have bountiful info for you to use at your disposal.
    I'd start with reading through the stickys then start your own topic and we shall help you out! :) good luck and welcome to the hydro world

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #7 snoopdog6502, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  7. Wow @[member="Thosestrangeclouds"].....

That grow brought a tear to my eye ;( lol. Reminded me of my last grow; checking on them 24/7 and admiring all their beauty. They grow up too fast! hahaha That looks amazing boss! I can't wait to dive into using DWC. For my situation though, I would need to grow using LED lights because there is no way for me to get the hot air out of the closet. It's a pretty big roomy though. Its 3'11 long, 5' wide and 7'3 tall. Plus it'd be cheaper on electricity and I hear nothing but amazing things about LED. 

@[member="Snoop"] thanks for the tip, but I will be saving towards a california light works solar storm 800w. My mottos' always been go big or go home  :bongin:

8. Not sure about yield yet. This is my first DWC, and I just flipped last week. So I've got another 70, 80, maybe 90 days left. Nope, never used LEDs, only CFLs and MH/HPS.

9. Oh ok! How many plants do you think I can fit in a 3x3 grow tent? Probably going to use the buckets. Are 5 gallon buckets good enough?

Any info if the recirculating DWC systems are any better than the stand alone buckets?

The strains I plan on growing ( If I can fit 4 flowering plants in the 3x3 ) are: 

Girl scout cookies
    Terperella
    Amnesia Haze
    Super silver sour diesel haze

10. Girl scout cookie!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

11. You could fit four in there, but I wouldn't. Physically, four 5 gallon buckets would basically fill up the space. But then you have to worry about the plants branching out. Put it this way: my tent is roughly 3x3 and I have one DWC bucket in there with a SCROG screen on it. And I could not fit another bucket in there no matter how I moved shit around. If you run four, you won't be able to veg long and you better start flowering quick. So it would basically end up being a de facto SOG. If it were me I would do one at a time and maximize your growth and yield. I have zero experience with RDWC. But for me, I'll stick with single DWC buckets for now. And I think you should too, at least for now. If you have individual buckets, you have more control over each plant. And each strain is going to take different nute concentrations, etc. For example, you may be able to run the girl scouts at 900 ppms, but that same concentration might burn one of the other ones. One also might be ready for flowering nutes before another. Lots of variables. I just like the individual control I have over the individual plants when they're in their own buckets.

12. [quote name="OneDayJD" post="19464000" timestamp="1391531636"]You could fit four in there, but I wouldn't. Physically, four 5 gallon buckets would basically fill up the space. But then you have to worry about the plants branching out. Put it this way: my tent is roughly 3x3 and I have one DWC bucket in there with a SCROG screen on it. And I could not fit another bucket in there no matter how I moved shit around. If you run four, you won't be able to veg long and you better start flowering quick. So it would basically end up being a de facto SOG. If it were me I would do one at a time and maximize your growth and yield. I have zero experience with RDWC. But for me, I'll stick with single DWC buckets for now. And I think you should too, at least for now. If you have individual buckets, you have more control over each plant. And each strain is going to take different nute concentrations, etc. For example, you may be able to run the girl scouts at 900 ppms, but that same concentration might burn one of the other ones. One also might be ready for flowering nutes before another. Lots of variables. I just like the individual control I have over the individual plants when they're in their own buckets.[/quote]Awesome boss thanks! So I guess for now ill just stick to one strain per grow until I get the hang of it. So if I were to grow 3 plants and top all of those plants once, would I have room for them to branch out a little? Also, would I get same yield if I scrog one plant compared to topping 3 plants? If thats true, I feel like to get the same yield as one plant I would have to take more time in the grow for veg. I want to get that yield as fast as possible. So if that means topping 3 plants then ill have to do that.Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Well topping the three plants won't give you more room, per se, for them to grow. When you top a cola, that single cola turns into two colas. So, logically speaking, that would actually crowd your screen or grow more. I think you would get a better yield scrogging one vs. growing three in that space. But that's just my opinion. Crawl before you walk. And if you have one, you can focus all your energy and efforts on that one plant rather than letting others get neglected.

14. [quote name="OneDayJD" post="19464204" timestamp="1391534693"]Well topping the three plants won't give you more room, per se, for them to grow. When you top a cola, that single cola turns into two colas. So, logically speaking, that would actually crowd your screen or grow more. I think you would get a better yield scrogging one vs. growing three in that space. But that's just my opinion. Crawl before you walk. And if you have one, you can focus all your energy and efforts on that one plant rather than letting others get neglected.[/quote]Well I would NEVER neglect one of my babys lol. But if the one scrog plant would take weeks longer to veg than 3 plants, id rather do 3 for a faster grow.Also, have you hear about topping at the 2nd node after its grown 5 or 6 nodes? Some guy waits till his plants grow to 5 or 6 nodes, then he chops right above the 2nd node and hell get 4 colas.Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Haven't heard of that. But I wouldn't do it. Just remember that anytime you cut/chop something off, there is going to be some recovery time involved. How much depends on how much you took off, etc. So if you wanted to do three and top all of them and you topped it at node 2 when it has 5 or 6 nodes, that's going to require some recovery time, i.e., longer veg time to recover from the topping. Just some food for thought.

16. [quote name="OneDayJD" post="19464307" timestamp="1391535957"]Haven't heard of that. But I wouldn't do it. Just remember that anytime you cut/chop something off, there is going to be some recovery time involved. How much depends on how much you took off, etc. So if you wanted to do three and top all of them and you topped it at node 2 when it has 5 or 6 nodes, that's going to require some recovery time, i.e., longer veg time to recover from the topping. Just some food for thought.[/quote]Trur. But dude got 10z per plant in a basic soil grow! For that id wait hahah a. Heres the link. .check out his pics and tell me what you think. http://www.rollitup.org/advanced-marijuana-cultivation/151706-uncle-bens-topping-technique-get.htmlSent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Yeah, I'm familiar with Uncle Ben's techniques. I haven't read through all 100+ pages of that thread. But you also have to take into account his entire setup. His nutrient regimen, lights, etc.

18. you from San Diego? I used to grow there....good times man good times. do dwc, the hydro shops are excellent down around there-so much selection. and soil is cool, but messy if you're growing in an apt. for one DWC 5gal I use a 3x3 with a 600w and have a scrog screen set up as well and I can pull a pound off that with the right strain. you can look at the grow link in my sig to check out the sizing for it.

No i'm not from san diego. Just a charger fan  :smoke:  Yea man I can't wait to start my DWC grow. I will check out your grow link when I get home soon. You were in a 3x3 tent too thougjh? Do you know about uncle bens topping method and if 3 topped plants would fit in a 3x3?