Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bong Problem

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cannabisxz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. i put mesh in my bong and it stops most of the resin from going in ur mouth but resin is apart of smoking and if you dont like it and cant fix it then stop smoking

2. ATTENTION ALL! I made an account just to post this. I read on another forum a guy suggested that it was the airflow of the the way your lips are positioned in the mouthpiece of the bong. Like thief puckered too much and the resin build up on the small space. And I tried opening my lips more, and it worked! Once at least. I’ll try with a fat bowl and report back.

3. Yo,

Mesh/Paper Tissue works if the bong is angled or you can squish it in tightly. This fixes the resin issue entirely. The tissue will go dark brown so change quite frequently.

You're welcome

Get stuck into it.

4. have you tried a hooka? Does this happen with water pipes aswell? My wife gets this horribly too with epilepsy she needs to smoke. She brushes her teeth before smoking, nothing seems to stop it. Are you super pale? My wife has a skin condition called Eds that has to do with skin elasticity we have been wondering if that causes it. I’m going to keep on it till I find something that works

5. Some ideas:
    -Less water so the particles to travel with the water when you pull
    - Pull with less force
    - No ice w/ room temp or somewhat cold water.

6. Hey guys, I've been having this problem and read through this thread trying everything and finally found the solution.

So I got a hand pipe and bubbler a few weeks ago, they both work great, but I groke the pipe cleaning it. I upgraded to a 13" 9mm beaker bong. I remember great rips at the begining and since a few days had this problem.

Like others I noticed the downtube getting nasty brown/yellow colored when this happens. I think this is THC burning before it vaporises.

Big rips make nasty deposits in the downstem. Soft pulls help somewhat but that's not the solution, neither is the packing.

The issue is grinding the weed with a grinder, that seems to make it burn too hot and too fast very easily.

The solution is to just separate the bud into small pieces just bigger than the hole. I've had good success just putting a whole flower top packed tight in the cone shaped bowl.

This way I can rip the bong as hard as I want and have no nasty downstem or bad taste.

Rip it!

7. Ash catchers work good on the bong and also hemp wick is good for slow burning

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I do not think an ash catcher will help. The issue is too fast burning in the bowl, creating bad quality smoke. Sure, it will catch the bad smoke, but that is burned THC which is not desirable.

I also think the hemp wick will not help, the high heat is caused by the amount of oxygen in contact with the loose bud. This happens when you remove the flame from the bowl. The heat of the flame is not the problem. Many people have reported this issue with hemp wick as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Burned THC?? You've lost me.. even when lighting bowls with blow torches the THC doesn't get "burned" & still tastes fine lol

10. You are correct. I use a blow torch and it does not get burned when I pack a bowl with chunks. Clean downtube and smoke.

If I grind the weed in my grinder, then I get nasty smoke. My downtube gets brown and it tastes bad.

Do you grind your weed with a grinder before packing a bowl?

11. I always grind my weed dude unless it's too sticky to grind then it's by scissor/by hand :laughing:

The brown stuff is called resin aka tar.. you'll get that regardless of how you break down your weed:confused_2: it's from the smoke hitting the inside of your glass/from lighting the weed

12. I think the brown stuff is undesirable and avoidable, mostly. If your downstem is brown after 1 hit, something is wrong and the smoke probably tastes bad. At least it does for me.

Could you try it? Clean your bong and pack it with chunks just big enough to not fall through the hole. I pack it tightly, as long as you can pull air through it it will burn. I find tighter the pack, slower the burn. I get the most enjoyable smoke this way.

13. OLD thread but its from smoke getting to condensed. Yknow when the smoke turns yellow. Take smaller rips.

14. #134 useaname, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    This is the only topic i can find that explores legit ideas. Im a complete wreck from this and ive spent countless hours each day trying various cleaning solutions and methods with no fix. After cleaning with Iso + Kosher salt, sometimes the first hit or few is ok or even good, but 2-4 more and it goes back to being garbage. Hot harsh hits, brown spit, gagging, cant even finish a hit, brown sticky disgusting coating appearing on downstem more and more rapidly.

My first bong suddenly became really gross and got worse with Iso (with brown spit, gagging, gross smell/taste,and sticky d-stem coating). out of no where. (I now have a couple bongs)

I have three of the same kind of18mm slides that go to the first infected bong and one ive been trying to clean most recenlty which was my daily driver. Both have a built in downstem that isnt hard to clean. I bought a brand new slide of the same type and the same thing happened immediately when i used vinegar and tap water on it. I know that because ive been using this 1 dirtier slide (that i never used vinegar on) in homemade grav bong and its been allowing the rips im used to, but if i use the other 2 sliders in the grav, the coating forms in the soda bottles im using and it then smells the same way and causes harsh grossness that wont go away unless i soap scrub the soda bottle immediately (i throw the bottles away though after 1-2 day). Both sliders had cleaning vinegar used on them eventually, i believe, and the one that works in the grav did not. I just cleaned the working slider with hot tap water so im going to test if thats a factor. I have very hard tap water and it leaves white spots on bongs after rinsing. Though the first hit in 2 years where i could taste the weed(few days ago), happened after I did the usual iso and salt but i skipped the vinegar rinse/soak after and instead used bottled water to rinse. As well as using cleaning the holes directly in the working slide. It looked and smelled amazing. Lasted about 4 hits maybe 5, then it goes bad again.So tonight again using dawn dish soap in the bong (since works for wiping the grav clean) and im going to dish soap grill skewers to spin them in the holes of the working slider (if the hot tap water didnt ruin it) and rinse with bottled water After ill try more Iso+salt then Dawn. Im afraid to use vinegar again(6% cleaning vinegar when regular didnt work). But third ill try iso+salt>Dawn>vinegar>Dawn again and still use bottle water.

Ive done EVERY single thing the comments mentioned here to no success. Id like to list some factors i cant rule out yet or ive noticed people mention.

Possiblities..
    Hard water (Very hard water makes it difficult for soap and stuff to wash away, maybe its leaving something behind like iso or salt or whatever)

Microabrasions (Not so sure about that one with so many using iso and salt)

Humidity (Where i live is really humid and condensation forms on the d-stems where the brown coating forms and resin sticks to)(Wreaks)

Hard to reach resin (Its obvious but maybe some pieces design make it hard for the iso+salt to reach) (Also ive had experiences with not shaking enough when i first started smoking and i could taste iso that i guess absorbed into missed resin (Wasnt nearly as bad as this thuogh)

Some kind of mold or bacteria (It would thrive with most of these things and i cant tell if this white build up on my big beaker is salt or stain) (weird if its a stain cuz i damn sure shake all the water out and even if there is a tiny bit left over, it sits in on the edges of the bottom, not middle of the bottom where the white stain is) Unsure if growing. Because my first bong went bad before all the others, i stowed it away by a window(whoops) and now its really musty and white film. But one of my beakers is also getting just like that. I mean i recently moved to a new apartment and in the living room my nose gets clogged by the air and theres a lot of hot humidity coming out of the walls/closets. My first bong to go bad, went bad at my previous place. but the 3 others worked about an extra year (theyre fairly bigger than my first to go bad) and they all went bad in my new apartment (Lived here little less than 3months). My biggest beaker, with the white stain/residue at the bottom , was the last to develop an issue and may still work ok with the stain and smell, but im sure the downstems wont work (they arent built in) and it doesnt look or smell healthy so prob wont.

I wont give up and I wont rest. Ths is all I have left in life. Not even sure if anyone else will post, it does seem unfixable. But logic tells me there has to be a fix.

15. My guess is you guys are smoking flower out of concentrate bongs.. a good bong for flower should have lots of percolator and a large mouth opening while a good concentrat bong will have few percolator and a narrow mouthpiece..

16. The easy 1g-1.5g grav snaps,suggest otherwise. I know its not common and i would aim for the obvious if it never happened to me as well. Enjoy your day.

17. Lmao. "Concentrate bongs".. You don't need "lots of percolator" and there is no distinction between bongs.

18. Let's see some pics!. I'm interested to know how your bongs "go bad" because I've never had anything like that happen. The only way my glass "goes bad" is it breaks. You should have started a new thread though.

19. Alright well keep haveing a less quality smoke session because you want to use whatever bong you think is cool without understanding there function.
    Dab Rig vs Bong – What's the difference?

20. Ok smart ass. I'm not gonna argue with you.

• Funny Funny x 1