Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bong Problem

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cannabisxz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. This has never happened until today, and I had to look up wtf had just happened...

I think what it is is that taking too quick of a bong hit may have an impact, or if your teeth get in the way while the smoke is inhaled, like when you smile or laugh your teeth show..

So laughing while a hit perhaps?

just my highdeas

2. LOOOOL. Man iv been smoking about a year and 6-8 months.. first year and 1-2 months were amazing.. Smoked a cheap 30 doller chills bong and never got any black things on mouth or anything.. And i smoked tobacco + weed. Now Im smoking an illadelph 2ft tall and i get this black dirty resin on teeth were i have to brush my teeth after p.. I smoked about 2grams testing what it is and still no answer iv done these test.

Smoke a bong and instead 1 pull make it like 15 pulls.. All 14 pulls were good. 15 pull i got it.

Lowered water and raised water..

I thought it was the bong shape also as this was a tube and my other one wasnt. So i bought another tubeone like but it had a perc in it with 6 diffusers. and they managed to get through that too.. :(

Iv tryed taking out the downstem when the bongs filled with smoke assuming the ash shot through the downstem causing it in my teeth but it was not the case. As i inhaled a bong hit without the downstem in so it was just pure smoke and still got.

Put a screen at the bottom of the downstem to make sure no big res to be in mouth.. Still got big up ash peices..

Iv tryed an ashcatcher and it still gets through.

To me i think its more related with the smoke.. So maybe the weed/chemicals/water you use on the bong. Cause yeah my older bong was plastic. Also i had the illadelph for bout 4-5 previous before it started happning.. after i broke the downstem. Which i thought it was cause of that.. But i didnt notice it in my teeth till after couple months cause i just thought id get bad taste from a bad p. But the resin in my mouth was the reason. THIS SHT NEEDS TO BE SOLVED. i made an acc nd everything to fix this bullsht

Also this didnt start happening to me untill i got rubber bands on my braces to change my jaw position so im rllly thinking its that.. Cause i assume you get lil peices of ash in everybong toke.. everyone.. Just peoples position of mouth/teeth/jaw effects if it goes on teeth. <- That is my final conclusiong for now.. may be answer may not be.. I need the answer. Cause now i got to smoke joints which is dumb when i have a 400$ bong along with a 225$ one.. I smoke buddys bongs/poppers anything it does it.. Iv had one bong though werre it didnt do it.. Which had me shocked so thats why i couldnt conclude it was this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Also its no the speed of your toke. Cause before i could take very heavy fast hits and nothing. Now i can make a bong toke last like 50 seconds and it stills there.

4. I think its the position of your jaw. Cause i have braces for like 2 yrs this month and i only started black res on my teeth after i had to wear sum rubber thing to move my jaw. 1 monthj into that iv been getting disgusting black resin on teeth like others. Iv tryed these.

Lower- higher water

2 different bongs

1 Bong iv smoked for 4-6 months then it started happening randomly
    ( i broke my downstem and bought one without a diffuser was dead set that was the problem)

Then bought another bong with a perc same amount of slits of the perc but they were smaller on the diffuser. Anyways still got this.. ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLEANING. as iv had a brand new store straigtt from the store small rinse of water. then a bong toke and still got.

Iv tryed inhaling it 15 tokes instead of 1 p in 1 toke.. everything was good up to my 14th one.. As soon as i pulled the remaining smoke in the bong thats when the resin was in my teeth again..

iv smoked yr 6-8 months.. and for the last 4-5 months. its been happening. i brush my teeth after every bong and i smoke 4-5 day avg .. ITS SO FUSTRAITING HAVING TO DO THIS. i dont even enjoy smoking bongs anymnore because i know i have to brush my teeth..

Not the water levels

Iv put a screen bottom of my diffuser still had the resin.

The only time iv solved this was. I had to make sure my teeth were not visable to the smoke .. But everytime i did this.. I could feeel the resin hit my throat/lungs. and feel a small burning sensation.

Iv tryed ash catcher and it still does it.

tryed with ice and without.

iv tryed everything.. iv also hit a bong without the downstem in so it was just pure smoke..

My only conclusion is when you smoke a p the ash somehow gets inside the smoke and sits in the bong floating in the smoke. Or maybe even a chemical reaction with your teeth and smoke. Maybe new toothpaste/mouthwash.. I may look into that more as i know some chemical could mess with it. But it 95% feels like weed resin.. SO im like pretty sure its just getting into the smoke somehow and then traveling intop my mouth.

5. Have had the problem for a year and have tried it all.

my best results are brewing the bowl without a heavy cherry, lighter packed bowls, and also pulling the hit before the smoke had filled enough to reach my mouth pre-pull.

ive also tried sealing my mouth better on the piece, i found sometimes when i left little air holes on the side of my mouth when i was brewing, that more resin would appear after.

It doesn't happen as much as it used to, as im still used to packing it the way i used to more often then not, but ive kept a roll of paper towel beside my smoking station and ive grown accustom to wiping my mouth after every hit, resin or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have been having this same problem lately with my new illadelph. Almost every hit I take, I will have resin on my teeth afterwards, along with gross resin taste. I never had this problem with my two previous bongs (ROOR and HiSi) and never experienced this problem even with my new illadelph for the first couple of weeks. Lately though it has been happening after almost every hit. Tried cleaning it very well yesterday and it made it worse by far, more resin on my teeth after EVERY hit. I've tried most of the suggestions on here and not much is working.. So annoying since this just started happening and I have no idea why...or why it doesn't happen to so many people using the same glass taking near the same size hits...

7. Buy a a/c or carbon filter, I'm pretty sure that would fix the problem.

8. bump this happens to me!! its fucking grosss anyone have any solutions?

9. New user, registered to post what I think is the reason this is happening. I have been having the problem for a while, and I rip a mini bong and my roor both a lot. It happens when I use both, and I use them differently (I milk my roor until the smoke is yellow then pull fast to get it all, and I just hit my mini bong at a steady pace until the bowls done). The only reasonable explanation I can think of is the saliva buildup in your mouth during the hit. After a hit, I usually have a lot of saliva in my mouth. When smoke goes through water in a bong, that water gets dirty. So when it goes through saliva in your mouth.. wouldn't the saliva get dirty? Maybe if you salivate a lot, you actually have enough saliva in your mouth during your hit that it turns into bong water and stains your mouth. When I spit after my bong rips now, theres small black resin parts that I spit out. And my tongue and gums have resin on them, so I think thats whats happening.

10. i stumbled across this thread a few days ago while looking up this problem on google, and there was alot of interesting theories to test out.. but ive fixed this issue for myself and im pretty sure this will work for most if not all of you having this issue... im not going to try going into details about WHY it works cause honestly im not too sure, but i know my lips have been completely clean for 4 days now... 

What to do:

You need a set of honeycomb glass screens, like these>>> http://grasscity.com/honeycomb-glass-screens-five-pack.html

OR

You can also find bowl pieces with the honey comb design already built in.... (which is what i did)

Either way, there is going to be a downfall to using the honey comb style screen.. your bowl will flow more freely and wont snap as hard as it usually would with a normal piece... but if youre really sick of resin lips then you're going to have to give this a try.. Of course i cant guarantee that this will work for you, but it definitely worked for me! hoped this helps some people, let me know how it works for you guys!

11. Wow glad im not the only one who gets it, but i think its just random.

From the sounds of it im old school compared to most of you.

I use a normal bong with a normal bowl, and his name is mic (i name every bong or pipe) I have always used regular bongs and bowls, and after over a decade of using them i can tell ya resin lips, no cure, no gimmick can stop it. Smoke eventually gets to your lips at some point and there is no stopping it, its kinda the point. (not resin lips but getting smoke in ya) So just chill with your bong, do your thing and if you get them, who cares, you/we are obviously not alone so if it happens just be blunt. Get a black coth or something, wipe em and move on. Friends around, just say it, fuckin resin lips, gotta kleenex or something. Dont let resin lips ruin a fun experience bongs are awesome :D

12. good thing your lungs naturally push cannabis tar out but not cigarette tar 

13. I found this in another forum

In an attempt to explain this simply;The smoke contains small particles - pyrolysis produces such as tars, reaction products, a host of nasty substances, and the desired vapourised oils. Most of what passes through a bong is not water soluble, or has limited solubility. Highly soluble things would be mainly trapped in the water. A few of the more toxic things that are filtered out (remain in bong water) include ammonia, acetaldehyde and acrolein. They are produced during pyrolysis of either tobacco or cannabis. Acetaldehyde, the oxidation product of ethanol, is regarded as a probable carcinogen, ammonia is toxic, particularly to the liver, and acrolein is a nasty irritant that's very toxic.The residue that collects on the lips is for all intents and purposes a solidified version of the smoke itself - a sooty mixture with oily condensates. Look at a bong and the first thing you notice is that the neck is smaller than the bottom. Smoke is drawn up into a narrow passage, and a small amount condenses there. Future smoking will mean this resin on the glass will cause more to stick there (the actual physical chemistry involved is a fair bit more complicated). Same thing happens with smoking crack cocaine - clean pipe, less loss to the glass. Similar things also happens with some fireplace chimneys, although the high temps often re-vapourise or burn away any resinous deposits before they can accumulate.Your lips are usually moist, but contain oils, and most importantly, the skin is quiet porous. The smaller entry point into the mouth formed by pouting-covering the lips around the bong mouthpiece, results in the lower volatile compounds (including THC) sticking around where the narrowing occurs. Same thing happens to the lips of high tar content smokers, from cigarettes or joints, particularly if filters aren't used.Carcinogens in smoke - cannabis or tobacco - are mostly non-polar i.e. Things like benzopyrenes and other poly aromatics are carcinogenic, and bong water does not remove significant amounts of these chems.The reason a cleaned bong sometimes produces bong lips is due to the clean glass being a less optimal surface. Once it get's coated though, like attracts like in this case, and future resin will accumulate easier.

14. Same here, never had or heard of this problem. I do about 90% of my smoking out of bongs. I've been smoking 12 years and I've never had this problem once

15. I would say this and maybe if you don't have an ash catcher on there try adding one of those! This is if it's a bong that is worth investing in to you! If not maybe invest a new one? Never heard of this issue actually and my bong is pretty standard diffused down stem, ice catcher, and one dome perc straight 12 incher. Simple and effective and fairly cheap but haven't run into this problem and honestly I'm pretty lazy about cleaning when it comes to bongs :hide: good luck though!

16. This might be a solution. How long do you normally hold the flame on the herb? Do you light it until the last minute and then drag? If you do, try lighting it just for like 2-3 seconds only and tell me the results. I think by lighting it too long you combust some of the stuff that makes the brown resin that you get in your saliva.

17. Until it catches fire.

18. i get this all the time plus my bottom lip cracks and hurts for a week. i found a solution that works for me; i used to put my lips far inside the bong, but i started to put them around the mouthpiece (care not to put saliva all over it) and i dont get it no more

19. A friend has the same problem.
    I personally have never had a problem with resin condensing on my lips, but I would recommend taking the ice out for starters. It should only be doing that if the smoke is cooling down to the point of recondensing

20. Read thru ALLLLLLL the posts concerning this issue as it has recently became an issue for myself.

I think many key points were touched on that can all play a factor in the resin accumulation on the mouth/lips/teeth, etc.
    I have a 10" roor dual perc with a birdcage ash catcher and I get this. In the past, I've NEVER had bong resin issues aside from the wonderful gas mask apparatus!! Lol
    These are only my OPINIONS as to what's causing this issue and how to minimize or fix.

Bong cleaning- I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning my pipes.... I don't like the stagnant bong smell so I clean mine often. (Every 2 or 3 days)
    Leaving the bong dirty will give the future resin better contact ability.

Rips- depending on the size of your bong, when u begin to draw, if your bong doesn't take much smoke to completely fill it, then try drawing until half of the bong is filled with smoke, snap it, then drop the bowl back down and repeat until full inhale.
    Minimize the amount of time in which the smoke is making contact to your lips/skin.

Mouth position-
    If u have a small mouth opening, usually 1-3", your lips will get pulled into the mouth piece slightly when drawing due to the draw vacuum. Try adjusting your lips so that minimal skin is in contact with glass but enough so to get a seal.

Too hot-
    Although at first this sounded plausible, I'm not sure it's the main culprit.... Reason being is many if not all of us have taken HUGE, MILKY rips with no resin mouth..... I personally think u can take the most yellow, MILKY rip u desire, just as long as your bong is large enough to hold the volume of smoke without it sitting at your lips at the mouth piece while ur waiting to clear it. Think of it this way..... Gravity bongs produce crazy thick, yellow smoke but I've never gotten resin mouth from it.... Reason being (I believe) is because the smoke isn't sitting on our lips.... As for teeth staining, this is a little more complicated and could require an addition to your rig or trying to open your jaw a little more so that the smoke doesn't sit on your teeth... Tiny little hand pipes deliver a thin stream of smoke into the mouth, barely making contact with your teeth... A bong delivers a larger "cloud" that will definitely fill the mouth causing more contact time with teeth.

Ice/water- I've used ice, snow, too much, too little.... Again, not sure if ice and water levels are the main culprit. Water is your main filtration tho.

Bowl packing- haven't played with this enough to see if there is any truth behind it. It does sound possible but lower on the list effective changes.

Everyone that has experienced the issue all said the same thing....

"It never used to happen before, now all the time"

When u take that one common similarity, what happens to all smokers over time?

Tolerance increase... There fore larger rips are required which brings me back to long his where the smoke sits at the lips.

Cheers!