Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Boiling My Pipe

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by jt233, Sep 20, 2011.

1. So My friend cleans his pipe by putting it in boiling water and letting the hot water disolve the ash and I wanted to clean my pipe. I wanted to know if this is safe to do since I don't want to break my pipe.

2. [quote name='"jt233"']So My friend cleans his pipe by putting it in boiling water and letting the hot water disolve the ash. I wanted to know if this is safe to do since I don't want to break my pipe.[/quote]

I've done it, worked great. No problems here. I would do it again.

3. should be fine, just don't put it in the freezer after :p

4. Okay cool. I think I would prefer this method over the rubbing alcohol so as long as it's a safe method than I will go this route.

5. woah woah don't do this to glass
    bad idea, could break you piece

6. This works well on well made pieces lol so if you have a shitty pipe...

say adios

7. would it be the heat that would break it?

8. Best results:

Boil it at a insane heat for a while (couple hours), then immediately move it to a freezer that's at least -15 F. If it didn't crack somehow, rinse and repeat increasing the time.

Lol... just boil it for as long as you want and DONT put cold water or move it to a cold place right after or it will crack. Good luck.

9. [quote name='"jt233"']would it be the heat that would break it?[/quote]

If its a shitty piece, yes it could. Quality should be fine.

10. I never boil my pieces because I've seen too many people break them right after taking it outta the water. The excessive heat can weaken the glass. I've seen bubblers have mouth pieces break off from towel drying afterwards; funny but stupid shit lol. A bowl would be fine, but I wouldn't with anything intricate or nice. I just clean my glass daily with rubbing alcohol.

11. woah woah woah

I'm only gonna say this once more: don't boil your piece. especially if it's a quality piece.
    the heat could create hairline fractures in your glass, and the bubbles from boiling water are going to knock around your pipe a fair amount.

use a pipe cleaner or something...
    don't boil glass...
    i smh

12. I have a very nicely made piece, very thick, but i'm not that stupid...
    NEVER BOIL YOUR PIECE

13. Here's the deal guys:

If your piece is made with borosilicate glass (which most are, since the other kind is much more breakable) then you should have no problem as long as you prevent it from shaking around.

Something I learned when making pipes is that below 200 ish C, there's basically no thermal stress developed in cooling. When you're making pipes and junk, you need to be careful to cool it slowly so it doesn't develop internal stresses, but if you're just boiling it, you don't need to consider these.

Borosilicate glass is the same as a pyrex glass measuring cup. Boiling water poses no threat.

The act of boiling does, however. The bubbles could jostle the pipe around, and hitting the bottom of a pot (repeatedly, especially) is going to propagate cracks.

So although I've never done it before, if I were to do it, I would wrap my piece in a rag and then boil it. Also I would keep the boiling to smaller bubbles.

14. Thanks for all the info. I'm still not sure if I will do it yet. But I will def weigh the options since I know it is risky.

15. I would seriously consider against it. There's a lot of risk involved, even it it IS pyrex. You'd be better off looking for an alcohol solution or an actual pipe cleaning solution.

16. Don't boil your piece.

17. thats fucking retarded, I'm sorry use iso, and sea salt then wash with hot water not boiling...

18. Ok I'm convinced I won't do it. There is just to much risk involved.

19. haha good choice jt.

20. Smart man. :hello: