Bob Marley's Philosophy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Zackywacky34, Feb 26, 2009.

1. #1 Zackywacky34, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    Well i hope i dont offend anyone right now, because i'm pretty smacked.
    If you break down the basic idea of being high, all marijuanna really does is make you absolutely happy, with doing nothing. Right? i mean, you're just happy to just not do shit. that's what world peace is 'why fight man? lets just not do shit. who gives a fuck. thats like being high. Who gives a shit man, its all good.
    I think thats all Bob Marley is, some dude who didn't really know anything about religon (no offense dear fans) but he didn't care. He was stoned, who gives a shit. Every little thing is gunna be awright. And thats what rhastafarian was, if you were dying of cancer, don't amputate. Who gives a shit man lets smoke. His entire imgae is just live your life, don't do shit. Be a lazy mother fucker. That's not really how i want to live my life, doing absolutely nothing. I would rather live a good life, have ambition, feel pain as well as happiness. Not just be high. But then again im high now :smoking::smoking:
    Also,
    I beleive that weed is agnostic. About everything. you don't really beleive in anything or doing anything but you think there might possibly be something to do. You don't really care though you're pretty happy about it.

There is good, killing is sometimes required to beat evil.

There is evil. this wants to kill urry body.

Then there is weed, it is agnostic. Why hurt anyone man, world peace. We think both sides are evil because they both kill. We just want one love. thats kinda what i think bob marley beleived anyway.

damn. i can't sleep.
    I also think that man created the ideas "good" and "evil" just like god and the devil because he essentially wanted to turn everything into cowboys and indians. Curruption in the church such as pedofile priests is proof enough that there is no higher power. If the god of the old testament truly existed he would destroy anyone, who in his name, raped a little boy. And if that god doesn't exist then i definately don't want him as my god. When you smoke you no longer feel a need to label anything as good or bad, you see that everything just IS. THAT is why if everyone smoked there would be world peace. People wouldn't hurt eachother in the name of god, no one would be strapping themselves with bombs. People would take care of the enviornment and one another, and earth would essentailly turn into the 'heaven' or 'garden of eden' of the bible. There would no longer be a need to imagine a heaven because there would be one on earth.

Even mother theresa *i know i can't spell im sorry she was a wonderful lady* (i think she's a saint too) didn't always beleive in a god. Her entire life was dedicated to helping people. She was a true christian. If everyone lived like her we would have world peace, and the sick would be so well taken care of, they wouldn't suffer. even she was agnostic. With all of the pain she witnessed she had a hard time beleiving there could be a god.

By limiting ourselves to beleiving in a god, we are proving we are just advanced monkeys. I mean really, we look back at the egyptians praising 12 gods and think they are fucking crazy, but look at you jackass. your boying down to some dude dying. Jesus was a great guy, i think he was brilliant. I think we can learn a lot from him spiritually, as well as how to live your life. He didn't hurt anyone, he only enlightened them. That's how you should live. He was smart to use god as an example at the time, because if people didn't have a god who would punish them if they misbehaved, they would have no motivation. If he told them, no no there is no god. just live happily. They would rape and pillage with no consequences. i don't need to be limited by a god however. Man needs to make this life count because it is the only one he will get.

There is an entire universe of knowledge and higher beings. Can you even comprehend that? Man may not be impressive, able to travel the universe, but we atleast have the ability to understand it. We should be able to understand that wrong is wrong weather it is done in the name of god or not. man has always been hungry for knowledge, and those who beleived in religon always cast out people who questioned the norm. I'm pretty sure socrates was put to death for corrupting the youth? He questioned the roman empire and why good was good, and why people thought the way they did.

Enlightenment, its depressing. I saw a thread titled "the more i know the less i know". It's so true.
    goodnight grasscity

2. You've got 13 posts. :)

3. I don't think any phrase has been better worded than this one. :D

4. I think you should do a little research on Bob Marley and Rastafarianism before you say things like "Bob Marley didn't really know anything about religion" and imply that Rastafarianism is a "don't do anything" religion (that's particularly offensive).

Marley denied amputation of his cancerous toe because of the Rastafarian belief that the body should remain whole, and also declined other surgical treatment options because they went against his religious beliefs. These are pretty bold and weighty decisions to be made by someone who "didn't know anything about religion." He knew a lot about his religion and was devout enough to follow it to the grave. Respect.

5. #5 pavlakos, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    and i think you should do some research on ancient egypt. your philosophy is pretty twisted, i couldnt even read it all.

edit: okay i read it and was even more shocked by your lack of knowledge. no wonder you feel like you know so little.
    since when did the average joe in ancient israel rape and pillage, lmao.

and if you wanna use a bob marley philosophy, take his quote that weed shows you to yourself (cant remember the actual quote, haha). better than the be lazy philosophy, and even if i tried to see what you mean, youd be better of saying to be passive, not lazy and even thats not always good.

6. Don't get your panty's all knotted in a bunch, the purpose of my writing was to make you think not to piss you off. While you may very well be an expert on rastafari i was well aware of WHY bob marley beleived that he could not amputate. I was simply summing it up and saying that in the 'big picture' when you look at his decision, it was almost an 'every little thing is gunna be alright' idea. Yes the body has to be whole. i know. And i respect bob marley very much, that doesn't meen i can't question his beleifs. As for being devout, ton's of mormons are unbeleivably devout. That doesn't mean i have to agree with them.

7. dude, thats just being chill and having no worries. just let life play out, your destiny will take its course that sort of idea. not being lazy.

8. I don't agree with being very passive, i was just saying that i find bob marley to be overly passive. I too agree its not always a good thing. Well i was pretty tired when i wrote that, i have no doubt whatsoever that there are plenty of errors in it. I think you misunderstood me, im sorry it was poorly written. I beleive my exact words were
    "If he told them, no no there is no god. just live happily. They would rape and pillage with no consequences. i don't need to be limited by a god however. Man needs to make this life count because it is the only one he will get."

What i was trying to say, is that if people knew there was no god, this is very well how they would act. I did not however say that this is how average joe acted. Thanks for your input though.

As far as ancient egypt, that was an example. SIMPLY TO SAY do you look at ancient religons and think to yourself "i can't beleive they actually beleive this"?
    That is how later civilizations will look at people today, as well as their religons.

However thats just my point of view.

9. Well i guess i'm telling you that i think it is the same thing. If everyone just had no worries we would not have today's technology. Everything is okay, if you don't do great in school don't worry. Let your destiny lead you. If you don't get that job, don't worry. If you miss a day of work, ahh don't stress, live your life. Didn't you just tell me being passive wasn't always a good thing? I was simply pointing out how passive bob marley was. THen i made the connection that if everyone lived like that, we would have world peace. However we also would be lazy as shit.

10. #10 J-Dizzle, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    Didn't mean to sound hostile, just wanted to clear up some of your errors in thought on Rastafari beliefs. I'm by no means an expert.

Refusing a treatment that would save your life is the ultimate "everything's gonna be alright" course of action. I know if I were ever in a situation (God forbid) where I had to decide between remaining true to my religious beliefs and having a procedure done that would save my life that I would probably opt for the procedure. Man, thinking about it like that sheds new light (for me) on just how devout and comfortable with his beliefs Bob must've been. You certainly don't have the agree with his decision, but man it's difficult not to respect.

Much more coherent :smoking:.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "You can never be somewhere where you're not meant to be."

One love!
    (a la Saul from Pineapple Express)

11. dude i get what your saying. ive had talks about life and all that good stuff with my sister. we pretty much came up with the same conclusion about letting your life take its course and to just go with the flow. i adoped this philosphy only in recent months and no lie, this shit works out almost every time, and every situation, if you can play it right.

to all the people ripping on this. its people like you who annoy me when i or someone else is making a good point. dont be attacking the small details and the things that miss the point of what is trying to be said...

i agree with what your gettin at.
    i think a Kottonmouth Kings song best fits;
    "how would life be if the world smoked weed, guarantee there'd be peace not greed.

thats pretty much what you were trying to say right?

it holds true to me. im a straight pot head. couldent be more easy going. life really cant get me down cuz "life rolls on". im always happy weather or not im high. its a lifestyle that i adoped. im only myslef. i make no effort to impress anybody, and if you dont like me, then you can fuck off cuz i in all reality, dont need people who dont like me in my life. im happier then ive really ever been and im more successful in the things i do in my daliy life. i think above all i have a deeper respect for myslef and the universe.
    i live abouve the influence,
    of the world around us
    stay true to yourself and natures laws and can almost garentee you will be happier with life
    and i owe it all to smokin buds.... weed opend my mind "and revealed me to myslef":smoking:

12. I'll stick to the philosophy of Hendrix :p

13. OP has never really bothered to learn anything about rastafarianism. It's not for me, but it's a decent religion. they didn't get high for the sake of getting high, they got high to meditate on salvation.

14. bobs my hero... but you have your oppinion so thats fine. I like this thread because it makes me want to read more about bob :)

15. I liked the post. It could be cleaned up but like some others say I really understand what you're trying to say and I like that haha.

For most of the posts on this board I don't really care for facts. I just enjoy when people make me take a step back and think deeply.

+rep

16. Yeah, i don't really care about rastafari or why they did what they smoked (not to be rude). And the majority of the post had nothing to do with bob marley, it was just random babbling on the meaning of life, from the perspective of a stoned idiot.