Blood pressure (lisinopril)

Discussion in 'General' started by Merlock33, May 15, 2021.

1. Hey guys I wanted to share what’s been a pretty big game changer for me and see if others have experienced the same!

back story in a nut shell:

Smoked herb from 15-22 then stopped but later picked up drinking (habitually) from 27-40 (my present age)

@33 got put on lisinopril 20mg twice a day for high blood pressure (roughly 190s/110s) and as far as I know that’s the max dose

2 months ago my wife and I agreed that I should try smoking again in an attempt to stop the drinking

It’s been 5 weeks sense I’ve had a drink

ok now to the topic matter sorry!

a couple days after I started smoking again my wife kept hounding me about how pale I looked. I finally checked my bp and it was 88/53 pulse 50

...I was speechless...and scared
    My average over the years on meds has been 120s/80s pulse 80s

called my doc. Made an appointment. Doc gave herb the thumbs up and said no more pills!!! My bp has evened out now and I’m feeling great! Anyone else experienced something like this?
    I know there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to bp but I thought it was a pretty significant change

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Keep tracking your BP as it may be a short term effect of your cannabis use. I'm back on the Blood Pressure medication merry go round after becoming sensitized to the one I'd been taking for 6 years. The Hash capsules I take for pain control don't pull my BP numbers down enough on it's own even combined with removing all the salt possible from my diet as well.

Latest medication has me running lower then expected numbers and I may dial back the dose to half and see. Getting light headed at the top of a flight of stairs is not a good thing.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  3. i just got out of the hospital today after having a stoke thanks to unchecked bp it will be awhile before i smoke again.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #4 old shol4evr, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    glad your feeling better

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. #5 old shol4evr, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    forgot

6. I'm on lisinopril too. I'd never go off it in exchange for weed though. If you smoke or vape everyday your bp will eventually normalize or go back to what it is when not high. Especially if your tolerance is low. Just be careful and keep monitoring if you have a cuff at home. Doc always wanted me to get one but I have not.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cannabis drops my BP too. If I take my meds plus cannabis my BP will go down as low as 70s/50s which makes me extremely tired so now I only take oil caps for bp but I must take it twice a day, every day. It's controlling my bp better than meds, with meds my diastolic stays high, like in the 90s but the hash oil gets it down to the 70s. I can't say my body won't adjust to the pot but I have been partaking for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thank u for the words of caution! Yes I have a cuff at home and have been keeping an eye on the bp all numbers still running relatively low (for me) low 100s/low 60s. I smoke regularly throughout the day so there’s also that ‍♂️ But yes I’ll continue to check often and I still carry my meds everywhere I go just in case

• Like Like x 2
  9. ☝️ THIS sounds more like what I’ve been experiencing and I hope to have a similar outcome! Awesome to hear man!

• Like Like x 2
  10. I'm glad to hear your BP has improved with cannabis. Unfortunately that's not been my experience, @Merlock33. I just had to switch to a more powerful medicine to get my BP down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. @Cactus Ed I wish I could get my diastolic down, it runs high 80's half of the time. I just changed meds, but it's not improving that diastolic number. Unfortunately I'm not able to afford to use hash oil routinely as medicine. Our dispensaries here in VA are just too expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mine is usually pretty high. Last visit I looked up it was 150 systolic 100 diastolic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. To be honest the hash oil doesn't always lower my diastolic enough, I may have exaggerated a little but when I take both my meds and hash oil my pressure crashes and I have to lay down with my feet up. Have you noticed a difference in your blood pressure when you're high vs not high? Weed didn't always affect my pressure as much as it has lately, I wonder if it has anything to do with the pacemaker I got about 3 months ago. I hope so. I sure feel better since getting it but, since there's no free lunch, now I'm pacemaker dependent which means if my pacemaker dies, so do I, I don't have a viable underlying rhythm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Oh, man. Pacemaker dependent. That's a bite in the ass. I'm glad you're feeling better at least @Cactus Ed. I know those pacemakers are real reliable, but that's scary that if it dies you do, too. My BP is labile and doesn't seem to correlate with being high, or high emotion. It's just all over the place. Sooner or later we'll get the right combination of meds. I wish I could afford to use medically to see if consistent dosing would affect it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. i dont know how you do it,when i smoke now,i feel like i got run over by a truck,sure wouldnt be doing it with a pace maker,i had arrhythmia and the reason they held me so long in the hospital ,they were fixing to shock me to get my rythm were it needed to be.
    so i choice life over the herb,i hit that pipe at night for 4 hits and that it.
    i just dont know how you all can do it,i get dizzy as crap ,even anxious

• Like Like x 2
  16. June 18 will be my 6 year anniversary without alcohol. I went into Glenbeigh (rehab) on the 18th. With high BP. My second night there my BP dropped to the point that I had a room full of DR's at 4 AM. Since then, my BP rarely gets to 'normal'. Nurses always check mine twice. I stay around 85-105 over 65-80. I was on Lisinopril for high BP when I went in, but was taken off due to the above. I still check myself most nights, usually about 90/65 right before bedtime. I've actually had multiple doctors and nurses tell me to "Eat a lot of salt" which sounds really weird coming from a Dr. I always associated the BP as an alcohol issue rather than a weed issue. Alcohol is one of the few drugs that can kill you by going 'Cold Turkey', sorta glad I was where I was when I did. Glad it all worked out for you, no alcohol, and no pills as a bonus!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lot of truth there,i also have issues with salt,i start to sweat,it almost pure salt,my eye will be blood red,no white from the sweat getting in my eyes,so i can understand the salt theory.
    congrads on your goal too bro.once you make up your mind the rest is easy

• Like Like x 4
  18. My vitals are much more stable since I got my pacer. Most people get a pacemaker for a slow heart rate, I got mine for a fast heart rate which means they had to clip my AV node. The upside is that now no matter how much THC I take it doesn't increase my heart rate and a fast heart rate is what make most people get nervous or panicky. When I get dizzy from hypotension I drink some water and put my feet up which gets my pressure high enough to not have symptoms. I'm 71 and a retired cardiac intensive care nurse, this kind of shit doesn't worry me because first I understand what's going on and also I'm too old to die young so why worry?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Cannabis can cause cardiac problems and changes the rhythm. I love cannabis but extremely high thc strains for sure cause high blood pressure and even heart attacks in some cases. It can happen, as funny as it seems, drugs are drugs and drugs cause side effects.

For sure cannabis speeds up blood pressure

Mine is always off the fucking scales when I get my blood pressure checked in the Docs. They've even hooked me up on an ECG before. Crazy stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  20. life passes us by quick dont it? dont realize it to you have something as mentioned slow us down,then realism kicks in .
    best acheivment would be to have some listen that are to young to listen,but hey i was young once too hahahah

• Like Like x 3