Blades - Please help me pick out a used car (Budget +/- 2500 USD)

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Senior PoopiePants, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I'm coming into some well deserved and much needed money real soon, and I need a car.

I want something luxurious, but something also rugged that will last for at least 5 years.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is really calling my name. I'm seeing late 90's/early 2000's with about 130,000 to about 150,000 miles. I want the Jeep for the snow, and maybe to lightly go off-road sometimes.

Either that or a Lincoln Towncar of the same years.

Am I on the right track? Are these two models durable and could I get them to 250k? I'm sure Towncars can get there, but I'm not too sure about Jeeps.

If those aren't good enough, what else should I go for?

Thanks!

Also, the VW Jetta is a really nice looking car, but I am hearing horror stories about them. What's up with that?

2. Dude no jeep GC nothing like that. My first whip was a v8 GC nothing but problems after 115k (one owner)
    AND HORRIBLE MPG..... Look for a Chevy or Gmc extended cab truck with the 4.3 V6.. or a pre 1994 blazer or jimmy with the 4.3

Sent from my LGL86C

I've heard that the V8 Jeeps were indeed bad, but the V6's are awesome. Gas mileage does suck, though, I hear...

I really don't want a pickup truck. And I don't see Blazers or Jimmy's for some reason. :(

Argh.

4. Alright, a jeep Cherokee with 4.0 Inline 6 cylinder would be advisable upon mechanic inspection. Lots of them out there. 2wd model will be easier on gas and way less maintanence and less shit to break. 4x4 really only needed for northern climates.. If your just cutting off thru a field or some minor trail stuff, 2wd will do you good..
    They make 2 door and 4 door. Get what you thinks best. I also suggest a manual transmission. Were talking a cheap budget ride, so I assume you want something that's cheap to fix. Stay away from the Lincoln and imports and shit.. Oh snap I just got a idea.. I use to have a 87 Suzuki samurai. It was a bad mfer and perfect stoner mobile lol

Sent from my LGL86C

Hahha, I'll bet! :D

Speaking of stoner mobiles, I keep seeing conversion vans with TV's in them for like $2500. Captains chairs, the whole nine. Man that shit would be so fucking cool.

But back to reality... I gotcha with the Jeep. I never realized how much shit could go wrong (4x4 maintenance, etc.)

I'm at like a [7] right now, so you'll have to excuse me. :D Trying to focus.

6. #6 Borker, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    Get a 4th gen nissan maxima(95-99)! They are very reliable cars, were considered entry level luxury vehicles, four door, you can pick one up for 2000, 19 city mpg/ 21 highway (although after calculations I found I get 26 highway) front wheel drive so they have awesome traction during the winter, the cabin is very roomy even for the rear passengers, and it has a lot of powerful acceleration stock lol you won't know until you drive it. Also the forum for the nissan maxima called maxima.org is one of the most heavily populated car forums out there, especially the 4th gen section. You should really look into it dude, the cars not much to look at, when I first bought it from my dad I thought it was ugly and hated it, until I drove it the next few weeks and now I love it!

7. Also the cars are well known to go beyond 200k they almost go as far as camrys

8. Get a civic. I have a 2007 mazda6 and I drive my 94 civic everywhere. Plus you can switch out the parts like Mr Potato Head.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. lol yeah. That's the truth. A lot of them civics have been thru the ringer and back. There's some knarley ones around Nashville. I'm just like daaaaaaamn did you see that? SMH

Sent from my LGL86C

10. Subaru Legacy sedan/wagon
    Tercel SR5 Wagon
    VW Passat 4MOTION
    Subaru Brat

11. Jeeps are nice, especially the type you're describing, but people beat on them so you really have to be careful when buying one.

Im a big Lincoln fan. A mid 90s town car is nice if you can find one in good shape. Although parts aren't too hard to find because its a fairly common car, you should be aware that repairs can get expensive if anything is wrong or breaks.

Otherwise, maybe an older Buick or Oldsmobile would suit your tastes. They're luxurious, you could find a pretty nice one in your price range if you look, and repairs should be a little cheaper if needed.

12. So why is something based on the Panther platform going to be expensive to repair? Other than the stock air ride suspension, which can easily be swapped to traditional suspension, the Town car is the same thing as a crown victoria. And junkyards are full of them, and shops have been fixing them for around 30 years thanks to Ford never changing a dated but rugged design.

However, I am in the same boat at the OP with around 3k as a budget and was thinking a Cherokee Sport as well, but have to read up on "death wobble".

13. Your death wobble is from worn steering and suspension components. Easily repaired at home and aligned at your local Firestone/Goodyear

Op keep it simple man. Jeep is simple. Rwd ; no opposed sideways ass engine in a small compartment. I'm Tellin u. My first whip was that 93 GC V8 And yeah it was thru hell and back via every mud hole in NE Ohio, it did me good. 2wd Cherokee is where its at. Simple simple simple

Sent from my LGL86C

14. #14 9D3, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED.

You will love it as long as you don't care about gas.

You'll have a 1 in 15,000 vehicle (in North America), it'll do 0-60 mph in under 7 seconds, and it kicks assssss in the snow. Leather everywhere inside/some of the most comfortable seats you'll ever sit in. Nice sound system too (180W, 10 speaker system stock). The stock speakers will most likely be blown, but get some decent replacements and you will not be disappointed.

I should mention mine is at 346,000+ km (216,000 miles) and hasn't given me a single issue since I bought it. Just keep up with your routine maintenance, these things like fresh fluids (so don't neglect changing the differential fluids and such). I've replaced brakes and shocks, but that's more of a maintenance thing than repairs.

A week after getting it, before having it checked out by any shops, drove it hard 500 km to watch a rally race and then 500 km back home the same day. No issues.

Recently I drove it 1500 km, 2 days later put it in a burnout show, and a week later drove it the 1500 km back home. Still no issues.

It's also had a few 400 km round trips recently and loves the highway. Mine has just a few mods, nothing crazy, but because of those I can get 20 mpg on the highway which is awesome.

15. A town car is not the same thing as a crown Vic or or grand Marquis. They're similar but have their own differences.

That being said, many parts are interchangeable and many are not. If op is going to buy all used parts from scrap yards and do the work himself, then sure it wont be too expensive. If thats not the case and he can't do the work or buy used parts on his own, then it can get expensive. And that's not considering that town cars are more complex, and therefore there's a greater possibility for more problems to occur.

As you said, they're rugged cars and if you find a nice one you shouldn't have to worry about top many repairs. Put it this way, it will be less expensive to maintain than an import or a Cadillac, but more expensive than your run of the mill Ford, Chevy etc

16. yea vans are perfect for stoners..my friend at work has one and we all pile in to have a nice sesh at lunch

17. When I was like 21 I lived w some dudes that went to Ohio state and they were like hipster stoner DJ hip hop guys but real cool n nice n made great pressed keif. One dudr had some type of rare Mitsubishi or Toyota minivan but it was for like camping and trips.. We called it the ninja turtle van haha big smoke sesh

Sent from my LGL86C

18. hahah I call my boys the mystery machine

19. Jeeps with the inline 6 are time tested solid engines. The main thing when buying a Jeep is not buying someones trail rig thats been beat to shit. I would stay away from ones with lift kits and big tires.