Blackeye peas...

Discussion in 'General' started by RMJL, Jan 2, 2004.

1. ...did you eat them today?

Does everyone else do that? All of my life, it's been this "tradition" to eat blackeye peas on New Year's Day to bring good luck for the rest of the year. If you don't eat them, then you're supposed to expect bad luck. (At least for those of us who are somewhat superstitious.) I always thought it was a Southern thing since almost everyone I know does this but I ran across a few people last night who had never even heard of it.

So, did anyone eat them today?

Side story:
    I hate the way they smell when they are cooking and I wasn't feeling all that great when I was smelling it. I was over at my mom's so I went outside and fired up a j. I got ripped and went back inside. When I walked back in, my mom asked if that was a skunk she smelled. I just laughed and told her that her smeller wasn't working. (Like I'd chill outside with a skunk. Geez!) :p

Another completely unrelated one:
    I had to work yesterday before I went out and while I was at work this girl told me that she could tell I wasn't feeling well because my eyes were so shiny. I got high before I went to work which is something I never do and I used the eye gel which got rid of the redness but apparently made them shine. I was super happy and really laid back at work yesterday so I know they all knew I was stoned. Of course, some of the girls are dumb as Dora but this one guy knew. He gave me that smile and nod that we all give to each other when we know the other is feeling good. We can feel each other...it's the pick-each-other-out-in-a-crowd kind of thing. We don't even have to follow the stereotypical crap to do it, either. ;)

That's cool about stoners. We just rock!!!! :D

Don't forget the blackeye peas. I want to know who does this.

2. ive never heard of eating those on new years.
    but when I was a bartender about 6 of us would have unspoken smokeout times about 5 times a night, just a look and we knew it was time. Bars are the haven of smokers and nobody cares if you are stoned..woohoo

3. LOL......... I HATE Blackeye Peas! But I manage to always eat a few on New Years. Don't wanna tempt the fates! One other thing we do here, (see if you've heard of this), is to eat boiled cabbage. It is supposed to make your dealings with money more favorable. I'm not sure, but I think these are old Irish supersticions? I'll tell you one thing though................. There is nothing like starting off the year with the smell of Peas and cabbage cooking!

4. LMAO!!! I know! I didn't have so much of a hangover today since I took my Goody's powders before I passed out but I still had a stomach ache from hell (hunch punch will do that to you) so the beans were killing me...maybe I should have said smell in that lose-a-sense thread.

Never heard of the boiled cabbage one. UGH! Had I known about it, though, I would have been eating that today too. :) We're a couple of weirdos! :p Ohhhh, but that cabbage would have come in handy since we're getting the lottery very soon. DAMNIT! It's too late now!!! I can't believe you didn't let me know in time. GEEZ! What kind of friend are ya????

;)

:)

5. Blackeyed peas and hog jowl.. Thats a must for good luck in the south!!!!

I spent new years eve with my sister.. i'm trying my best to stay away from the evil half.. Yaa'll know what I mean!

I'm glad you had a great new year sweetie!!!

6. lol, where I am we have this crazy tradition that involves drinking a bunch of this strange liquid, usually it's brown and smells like yeast but sometimes it's clear and makes your head spin, in any case the point is to drink as much as you can until you puke, then you keep drinking it until you pass out and someone steals your wallet.

good times

7. or superstition is krout and sausage, for new years day....
    ( suppose that might fall into that cabbage area)
    darnit its too late for the peas or ida done that too, and also my friend also informed me your not supposto do any work at all on news day. i at least did that.

8. I don't like black eyed peas, but we had them complementary to everyone yesterday at cracker barrel. That was the biggest pain in the ass. Corporate never thinks about what they're doing to their servers.

9. We had peas and collard greens. Cooked up with the leftover christmas ham and few sprinklings of pepper sauce, the peppers in vinager variety.

In this part of Dixie they are known as field peas, not black eyed peas, but are still the same thing. Peas for luck and greens to bring money for the new year. I did read a thing in the paper about why you eat them on new years day. Supposedly during the civil war the northern invaders came through the south and burnt all the crops in the field and warehouses. The only crop they left were field peas for the southerners to eat. So the southerners ate them beacuse it was all they had, and were lucky to have them. Hence for good luck, eat peas.

10. Field peas are different from blackeye peas, Poppa. Or at least they sell both kinds at the grocery store. I think field peas taste drier than blackeye peas and they are a bit firmer too.

I can't believe I didn't eat any greens, either. No cabbage and no greens. Damn!!!!!

*edit* I hate Lima beans!!! OMG! They are so gross. Does anyone actually like them? I'd rather starve than eat even one of those nasty beans.

11. what are so called "black eyed peas" ?

i'm sorry but my english isn't well enough :p

12. Hmmm...I just learned something new by searching for black eye peas...

http://www.waltonfeed.com/self/labels/blackeye.html

"Black-Eyed Peas

Black-eyed peas are actually a small, almost white bean with a black spot along their side. Originally brought to the United States by slave traders, this bean has been a popular food in the Southern US for hundreds of years. These beans, sometimes referred to as cowpeas, are also popular in Africa in different fermented dishes. In India they are often eaten like lentils.

Thin skinned black-eyed peas cook up in only 30 to 60 minutes and require no presoaking. Traditionally served with rice or corn bread, they remain a popular Southern cuisine. On New Year's Day in the South there's a tradition of black-eyed peas being made into Hoppin' John which has the reputation of bringing good luck. Black-eyed peas cooked with onion, garlic and tomato sauce make a delicious dish."

Attached Files:

13. ok thnx for the information :D

14. Around here the tradition on New Years Day is to eat pork and sauerkraut...the nastiest crap I've ever seen. No wonder I have bad luck every year...I never eat the stuff. Makes me want to vomit just looking at it.

Don't get me wrong, I like pork...but who's fool idea was it to cook it in rotting cabbage? WTF?!

15. I ate black eyed peas on new years once, when I was but a
    child. Well, a teenager anyway. Nasty things. Can't stand
    beans nor peas in any form. Except snap beans and the like.

16. l haven,t eaten for a week and you guys are talking about food ,arhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..:D