Biochar? Need info and places to buy

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dimyself, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Wow! I never heard of biochar until now! It seems like it makes plants grow wasy more exponentially! Does anyone have a source to buy it already created??

There isn't many places that sell the finished product and I don't want to make it. Here is one of the few places I found, but it's too expensive here:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/...FQUWGgodND8imQ

I also found I could use charcoal such as Cowboy brand but it comes in big chunks and I don't have anything to really grind it up. Any ideas??

Also, how much do you actually need for each plant mixed with soil?

2. hey , was checking out your other thread on this..

That page has a link toward the bottom for application info

Potted Plants: Use CHARCOAL GREENBiochar for following pot sizes:
    • 4" pot - 2 tsp.
    • 5" pot - 3½ tsp
    • 6" pot - 2½ Tbsp.
    • 8" pot - 4½ Tbsp.
    • 12" pot - 1 cup
    • When repotting plants , mix 2 cups of CHARCOAL GREENBiochar per cu. ft. of repotting mix.
    Vegetable and Flower Transplants: Add ¼ inch layer CHARCOAL GREENBiochar to bottom of transplant hole.
    Directions For Use

For best results product should be mixed into native soil or potting mixtures. When applied to soil surfaces product should be raked in and watered thoroughly.

3. Hey people, if anyone is still interested in using biochar, I found a site that sells 10 dry quarts for 12.95. I actually talked to the company and asked them what I felt were the most pertinent questions. He embedded his reply in my original email, here's the transcript;

Greetings,

I came across your ebay page and had a few questions about your product. In the description, it says your product can increase fertilizer efficiency by 300-400%. My question is; does nutrient burn become an issue with this type of increase? I am not sure what you mean by nutrient burn. If you mean burning through significantly more soil nutrients per pound of biomass yield, I would say No. The increase in efficiency is partially due to the increase in the cation exchange rate of soil ions into roots, thus the fertilizer goes further and not as much is required. If you mean a deleterious "burining" effect by soil nutrients on the roots of plants, I have never heard of that being a problem.

Also, do you have any recommended recipes for garden or greenhouse. I would mix one part by volume of Biochar Xtra with 14.50 parts by volume of soil then disburse in a 2" layer over the garden and rake in. Do this in the spring, the late fall after harvest, then in the fall of the next year. This will create a good amount of bacterial activity and carbon content in the soil over that period of time. My third and final question is; is your product suitable for potted plant use?You can use one part of Biochar Xtra to 8.25 to 9 cups of soil by volume as a planting or potting soil.
    You can soak the biochar in a pail of ripe compost tea for five to thirty days before doing the above if you want to increase soil bacterial volume and activity. The longer the soak, the more bacteria the biochar will adsorb.

Thank You,

These are the URL's for the Ebay page and the manufacturer's website;

VEE-GO BIOCHAR XTRA - eBay (item 300327691993 end time Sep-02-09 08:41:08 PDT)

Biochar Is a Soil Additive that Combats Global Warming.

I've done quite a bit of research on biochar and it's history. It seems like the real deal. There's hundreds of articles from hundreds of legitimate sources all saying the same thing. Google it and you'll see for yourself. I plan on using this stuff for my next run in the very near future.

-Peace

4. Young_Thunder

Thanks for that post and link... I'm mixing up my soil and was still looking into adding biochar.

+rep for the info