Big Brother strikes again! New Warning on Every DVD

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Degrassmann, May 16, 2012.

1. Scared or annoyed? More DVD anti-piracy warnings
    By Meriah Doty | Movie Talk – Mon, May 14, 2012 6:15 PM EDT

[​IMG]

Here is a DVD extra you may not have hoped for: New, additional warning labels deterring you from reproducing your otherwise legally obtained movie.
    Because when it comes to waiting for your movie to start, there's nothing like watching a warning screen... and then another new warning screen after that!

In a coordinated effort between Hollywood and the U.S. government, extra labels have been added -- and even an extra screen -- to the FBI warning we've all been seeing on DVDs since 2004, Wired reports. From Wired:
    Added alongside the FBI's logo in the new version, however, is a Homeland Security Investigations "special agent" badge. That reflects the agency's new power, handed down in 2008, to seize web domains engaged in infringing activity under the same forfeiture laws used to seize property like houses, cars and boats allegedly tied to illegal activity such as drug running or gambling.

Since Homeland Security has gained the power to do so, it has seized more than 750 sites allegedly engaged in piracy.
    In addition to the new Homeland Security badge is yet another, presumably unskippable, screen, courtesy of the National Intellectual Property Center, that further warns "Piracy is not a victimless crime."

The new trifecta of badges, however, rarely appear in digital movie downloads -- the very format that is more regularly pirated, Wired writer David Kravets deftly points out.

In another eye-crossing twist in this story, Kravets attributes the lack of warnings on digital downloads to the fact that the warnings themselves are copyrighted.

These new anti-piracy warnings are now being included in new home-release DVDs and Blu-ray discs.
    Don't say I didn't warn you. (Yes, I went there.)

2. Just one more screen to remove before its pirated lol

3. yup...people are getting smarter, the government has to find a way to scare them... fucking assholes.

4. All this kind of stuff does is make me want to pirate media more...

5. i feel slightly inconvenienced only because itll take an extra 10 seconds to get to the movie.

who really cares??? It does nothing

6. I'm just shocked they think people use physical DVDs...

7. Thats what im saying. Noone goes out to buy the movie then pirate it.

The whole point of pirating is to get it for free. Everything is digital through the interwebzzzz!

8. 100% correct. I heard best buy CD and DVD sales are dropping lower and lower every week, and many of their larger stores are cutting down in size, to sell laptops, cameras, cell phones, and TVs...just look what happened to blockbuster, it's only a matter of time before all those companies either down size or transition to digital copies. The only viable thing I can see selling are blu-rays, but that's only because they are large files 40+ GBs. But the future will be thumb drives, and hard drives (smaller, faster, and larger capacity....can't wait). Time to get rid of some more useless shit lying around.

9. Im looking forward to it as well my friend.

Its just funny that they think a warning on DVD's is going to stop anyone.

10. This is like them saying "Hey don't smoke weed! It's illegal and makes you a criminal don't do it!"

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnn

11. To be honest I agree. Knowing the nature of those sick people in charge, I'd be happy to know that I'm pissing in their cereal.

Laws that attempt to break man should be broken by all people. With pride.

12. waste of money

13. wait...what!!!...weed is 'gulp' illegal?

OMFG when the shits did this happen why didn't Mr Roger's mention this when he was talking to the king?

oHNOES
    [​IMG]:p

14. exactly my point..This shit is fucking dumb...I they think this will truely stop americans...but I tell you what I know of a family who actually runs a bootlegging business. I've also seen people that return bootlegs instead of movies they have rented from my store. I been told of how much money in rewards i could get if I turned anyone in.

The thing is...I dont believe I should snitch out some one who I know is already in a stupor..
    I dont think I could snitch anyone out for any reason other than death. or something along the lines of that and family shit.