Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BIC lighters??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by jon2324, Feb 24, 2010.

1. i remember someone on another post saying something about BIC lighters being bad or unhealthy for smoking weed i cant exactly remember but is there anything wrong with BIC lighters?

2. no there is nothing wrong with bic lighters. the flints in lighters might pose the concern as it has various metals in it that discharge when ignited. If you light the lighter away from your bowl you won't have to worry. There's really no concern after the butane has been lit.

3. Really?

How do you think the flame is being kept on? Magic? Unless my logic is wrong and correct me on this, but when you're pushing down on the button with the finger, the lighter fluid/butane is keeping the fire going for however long you're gonna leave it on till you torch your green.

That means you're still breathing in that toxic shit if not in small amounts.

@jon2324, you really want to reduce and or control the intake of chemicals you're breathing in, try beeline or any variant of hempwick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You're still combusting something, but at least this shits a helluva lot more organic and safer. Seasoned stoners will tell you that you can taste more flavor of the weed and breathe less shit. Seasoned stoners will also tell you vape and edibles are hundred timse better health wise too.

4. you're not breathing anything in toxic using a lighter. Its hydrocarbon that isn't toxic at all if we breath that in. Beeline is just a gimmick to make money in the industry. Has anyone died from using a lighter too much? no. You only die from inhaling the gas straight just like huffing gas.

5. #5 vipergts2207, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
    Norm is talking about chemicals that get released when you spark the flint, not combust the butane. Incomplete combustion of butane (which means this applies to bic users) results in carbon dioxide, water, carbon and carbon monoxide (the only product which is really any danger to you). Although a tiny bit of carbon monoxide won't make you keel over, it still isn't healthy as it is toxic. Flint however, which isn't actually flint in cigarette lighters, but something called ferrocerium. The dangerous parts of ferrocerium are cerium (which may contain traces of radioactive thorium), lanthanum (low-moderately toxic), neodymium (breathing the dust may cause lung embolism) and praseodymium (low-moderately toxic).

I do agree with you however, that hemp wick is the way to go. My spool of beeline is sitting right next to me.

As you can see in my explanation, you're wrong on not breathing in anything toxic. As for it being a gimmick, I disagree. Pull through a clean piece with no bud in it and you can easily taste the butane. No butane means better tasting bud.

6. Well obviously if you're breathing in lighter fluid in long durations, you deserve to die.

Obviously you're huffing in trace amount of shit from either hempwick or butane products. Even though the by products of butane lighters like BIC give off by products of water and CO2 aren't THAT bad per se, its kinda misleading to say that the person smoking it will go off scott free. Taking a personal risk when doing anything anyways.

7. well put viper...my only argument is are the monoxide levels out of a lighter any worse than walking down a busy street breathing in the pollution? I think after all that worrying about using a lighter for a second is the least of our concerns.

now if we can get a study on beeline and its byproduct it gives off. I've always read its bad to smoke hemp. Yet thats what we're doing with beeline essentially when we light it with our herb.

8. we breath in c02 all day long. Its in the air we breath. you're taking a risk every breath you take.

9. you guys are all pussies keep inhaling lighter fluid and get ripped

10. qfmft:hello:

11. pfft check the sig YO!

12. I don't know much, but whenever i suck through a pipe, no weed just a lighter, i can taste the butane.
    It might be a little hazardous but nothing to worry about.

13. it may not be noticeably harmful but yes, burning the gases inside the lighter and inhaling is not good for you, no matter what anyone in this thread says (this goes for all lighters that use butane). Try lighting the bowl without actually touching the flame to the weed. :wave:

14. Probably not, so good point.

15. #15 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    Not only is it potentially harmful and harsh, but it tastes terrible!!
    Get some Beeline or Ital hemp wick to preserve the flavor and smoothness of your smoke. At first you may not notice the difference, but try using only the wicknto light bowls for a week or so, then try a regular lighter.

Your basically lighting cannabis with cannabis, how is that bad for you???!
    When you burn the wick the ash is clean white, meaning it's pure.. You can't say the same for the bud you smoke

16. I just tried a bic through an empty pipe and really couldn't taste much. My sinuses are kinda off right now though. But anyways I might try some of this hemp wick but I don't think I smoke enough to need it. Worth a shot though just so I've experienced more eh?