BHO Vacuum Purge

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by keifrichards, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Hey been running a bunch of batches and like most been driving to the in between taffy shatter stage by choice. Very stable great tasting With enough product this will yield honey comb cakes. One good vac purge at room temp no water bath yields great product to Fill g-pen tanks or season a nail. Here is the write up:

BHO Wax Process ( Links to items on web at the end. I do not sell this stuff so There is nothing in this for me except to help others make the kill!)

Get laser thermometer
    New good square pyrex
    New blades and blade holder + puddy knife
    Parchment paper
    Presto electric griddle
    Roasting pan large enough to make a watter bath on the griddle with your vac chamber

NOTE #5-10 Outside in well ventilated area Don't blow your selves up! Cell phones are left inside, don't be baked and flick your lighter in your pocket! Leave it inside. You will look like Richard Pryor running down the street if you don't!
    1) Dry leaf
    2) loose break up you Can grind if you choose but I find finer grind darker color but in the end the fine grind always gets better extraction and flavor and dabs are transparent with blind test.
    3) Iso wash all items to be used blades, dish glass, extraction tube
    4) Pack firm but not to tight Use a pro made glass extraction tube. The glass really lets you see that the fill gets fully saturated. Make sure to iso clean the outside of the tube before you extract or you will have bud contaminants!
    5) Put double non bleached coffee filter over open tube end and rubber band off or use hose clamp. Trim excess filter above band/clamp
    6) Run quintuple Butane or better N-butane. 10 sec on 3 sec off cover whole with finger. To allow saturation, try to rotate the nozzle to aim to cover all sides around tube as well.
    7) Run enough until it all runs clear More is better and you can let it rest and run again. It all boils off and claiming another .5g is way worth the $8
    8) Raw goods should be saturated through in tube
    9) Put pyrex with butane bath Presto griddle with water bath to boil off butane to just on oil not above ‘Warm' at this point about 5 -10 mins depending on surface area of pyrex and amount of butane
    10) When all action stops scrape out onto parchment paper very easily no agitation (note with round pyrex in big chamber just leave on pyrex and go straight to purge after piling up to center
    11) First purge: Room Temp Vac purge: make sure to keep muffin small enough to not touch glass, pressure on and off 10 mins and is stable at room temp! Thi swill work great to season a nail or fill a g-tank wick to prime
    12) Second Perge: Re heat in same style water bath on parchment until flows 110 deg water under full vac! Oil should reach about 110deg. until no action and stable will be taffy shatter consistency you can fold the parchment and the product will stick together and ball up.
    13) Third Vac Purge in 135degree water bath with oil at 125deg . Re heat and purge at room temp for as much time it takes for it all to go to honey comb wax this could take 8-10hrs. depending on strain this was for 1oz of oil. If temp goes to high it will go from honey comb wax. You should see it comb out from center to edge.
    14) Note that all Vacuum chambers have some leaks. You will need to hit the pump every 15 minutes or so for 1 minute to guarantee full vac for the whole purge. Note all the gauges out there pretty much stop at 30Hg. I have found they are all calibrated off a bit. One of mine dimes they other never go past28. But when I make sure on the one that is dimed or at 28 when I hit the pump there is an obvious increase in the Vac because of the boil activity. I would assume with it running it is driving up and past 30hg but the system cant maintain that with the leaks. This si a great chamber so it's the natural loss and falls into the you just have to deal with it category.
    15) I am an Electrical Engineer. I am building a programmable cycle timer to manage turning on and off the pump while I sleep for the last purge to honey comb. When its all done I will post..

Notes: If we have big round purge chamber typically 9” wide. we can use a round pyrex and never go to the parchment for purge way to go. Oil temp is most critical water temp is somewhat subjective. Do what you have to to achieve oil temps. I need to get a new wider pot for this but the parchment works great
    Chamber: Lab Vacuum Chamber/Degasser | eBay
    Pump Great deal on FJC 6909 at ToolTopia.com
    Heat plate: Presto 07046 Cool Touch Non Stick Electric Cooking BigGriddle - Walmart.com
    Pyrex : Amazon.com: Pyrex Grip-Rite 8-Inch Square Baking Dish, Clear: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for reading. This is not meant to spark argument. There are 100's of really good ways to make BHO in all forms but this works for us very well and we do it a lot :) It yield great smelling very stable long lasting and acting meds :) The cleaner you work the better it is "-) This is one crews process.. It is a gift... It is not he only way. but for those of you struggling it might help ... You should experiment with this. Try taking product out and at room temperature evaluate every steps consistency so you know what you want to shoot for.

2. hey bro igota a question. so the tubeing you connect your chamber and vaccum pump with what type of hoses did you use? and did u use a backstopper or w.e they called.. wen yu turn off the pump the bho wont get sucked up? but nice guide brotha thanks for sharing still

3. Do you think it is completly necessary to use that exact pump?
    Or could I use a cheeper less powerful one?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. lol that is a cheap pump^

5. Hey Jimmy, I have that same pump. Do you think that is why its taking me so long for my vac purges?

6. #6 stupidstuff, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
    First it is a good write up but missing a few things.  

Drying the material is not enough, it needs to be dehydrated for best yield, color and so you dont need so much butane. The dryer the better the tane will absorb into the material, the less chlorophyl will be drawn in.....

Packing the tubes as hard as possible is another important step, but to do this the butane can tip and the glass tube must make a leak free seal using one of the supplied plastic tips that come with the cans. A firm packing helps to increase pressure inside the tube keeping the butane a liquid longer and thus keeps it more non polar which leads to a more pure extract.

And my vacuum chamber holds a full vacuum for days with only a 1inhg drop and cost me $60 at target. Its a pressure canner. Solid stanless.

And finally there is no need to vacuum and release constantly. A single vacuum of ascending vacuum pressure is all that is needed. Releasing the vacuum over and over again only introduces atmospheric contaminants and other pathogens to the extract, unless the intake to the chamber has a 99% hepa filter on it.

And to finish try including some pictures as I like picture books far more than all words :)

7. are you sure heat is even neccessary with a vacuum chamber? heating my oil up to 115f and vac purging for an hour definitely killed the flavor of my bho 

8. Yes^ 115 is a bit high for shatter. Keep it more around 90-105

9. How long do you keep oil in a chamber to produce shatter...

10. I've been purging for a day and a half under 75-85 degrees and the consistency I'm getting is like loose taffy, when I hold it up it gradually folds on its self, any tip why I'm getting this outcome?

11. try bumping your temps up to about 90 and keep going. If not, its most likely strain dependent.

12. Alright I will try that
    I was also thinking it has something to do with the strain as well.