Bff Is A Shitty Roommate?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by queenofnugs, May 3, 2014.

1. So for a little background info, I'm 20 years old and so is my best friend. She recently got kicked out of her house for smoking so I offered to let her stay with me for free (this girl is my BEST friend I've known her for over a decade).

Don't get me wrong, we've had a blast since she got here, but damn she's an awful roommate/guest! She is a huge slob and I have to constantly remind her to clean up after herself. It's basic manners to put away dishes, clothes, etc. when you're staying at someone's house for free.

In addition, she's done very little to search for a job since getting here which is annoying since I don't plan on paying for all the food/weed/etc. Her excuse at first was terrible cramps, then later I told her she could take my car to job hunt (she doesn't have her car for another couple weeks) while I was cleaning the house and she said she didn't want to take someone else's car out in an unfamiliar town...

Lastly, she's been very pushy and impatient about weed. A bunch of dispensaries in my town closed down about a week before she got here, and she's been complaining about how hard it is to get weed here (which it's not, its just not the big city she's used to with a dispensary at every corner). The other night after working a 9 hour shift, as soon as I got home she basically rushed me to hurry up and get dressed so we could go get weed.

I've called her out a few times about cleaning up, being patient etc but overall I'm not sure what to do. She has bought some groceries for the house so I will give her that. But that's all she's done and time is running out and she still doesn't have a job and is low on cash. Idk what to do without jeopardizing our friendship

2. You have to put your foot down with your friend about being a slob and a pushy bum.

Use those words "Slob" and "pushy bum" dont sugar coat it and make yourself very clear on what you expect so there is no misunderstanding.

You will be a bitch in her book for a day but so fucking what. :)

3. Yeah you're right. I've talked to her before but I probably wasn't being assertive enough

4. [​IMG]

I agree with Snoop.  You have to nip this in the bud right now.  YOu don;t want to ruin a friendship over something like this. 

Its too bad you best friend in not more considerate. When young people like yourselves become roommates you quickly find out who is the hard working responsible mature one of the two.

Sounds like you are that one. :)

6. A couple buddies of mine just went through the same thing and it didn't end well.  It's amazing to me how some people can be just so lazy and not give two fucks about it.  I'm almost jealous, for me, if someone helps me out or does me a favor it doesn't sit right with me until I repay them.

Definitely air it out though, the longer it goes like this the messier it will be when shit hits the fan.

7. Yeah I know what you mean. It just sucks though, when you realize your best friend as a kid has clashing morals and values once you're adults

8. Snoop nailed it, that legend.

If your friendship is as real as you say, you bringing up this issue isn't going to ruin your relationship. And if it does, do you really want to be friends with someone who takes advantage of you like that anyway?

9. If you've been friends with her for over a decade, there should be nothing that's said between you two that is perceived as intentionally hostile. Just say what needs to be said, and let the chips fall where they may. If all it takes is for you verbally shining a mirror on her flaws, then your friendship was never worth shit anyway. Friendship, or any relationship for that matter, should extend much deeper than that.

10. another example on how becoming roomates with your friends will most likely make you hate them..hope she listens up.. you shoulda got some money out of her for staying there.. shes never gonna want to leave..