Best yield off of a single 1000 watt hps???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cram5671, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I'm interested in hearing what some of your best yields from a single 1000 watt hps is and if you would share your setup.

My personal best was 827grams. my setup consisted of...

-9 plants in a 56inch by 56 inch tent
    - 5 gallon buckets using FF ocean forest with grow big, tiger bloom and big bloom
    - the bulb was a 1000 watt growbright (brand new first use)
    - Veg time was 38 days (just over 5 weeks)
    - Vegged 20 hours per day and flowered at 12.5

Thats really all... nothing special, there wasnt even a circulation fan but this grow was during the winter and i would crack the window keeping the room around 70, I found yield was always much lower during the summer when things would be running in the 80's even 90's sometimes. I would try and give each plant a pretty good shaking manually everyday for about 30-60 seconds, I'd really whip them around lol. Also my reflector was inline cooled and was not on a light rack but i would physically move it about 6-10 inches over to get the same effect (i would try to move it everyday but some days it would sit on the one half of the tent all day and other days on the other half)

I have since sold off the tent and stopped indoors because of personal reasons but I got a buddy going and now I get to experiment and help him with his so its not completely gone from my life =) lol.

He is about to start a new grow and is going organic with, we are also thinking about easing into the flowering stage and trying to replicate a natural light cycle by decreasing the light by increasing amounts each day.

Anyway... looking forward to any ideas. thanks guys!

2. #2 Jellyman, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    It's primarily dependent on the strain. The heaviest strains, trained for maximum yield, can produce more than a quarter pound of trimmed, dry bud per plant in a square foot of floor space. At least 25 of these (5x5), each in a 5gal bucket, can fit under a 1000w.

I haven't grown my fattest plants under a 1000w before but have had sixteen (4x4) under a 750w HPS and produced 3.5lbs trimmed and dry. With 5x5 under a 1000w, they'd certainly make over five pounds.

This all refers to very high yielding plants and the top end of what can be accomplished with them if cared for properly and kept very healthy at all times. Using strains that produce more average yields, you should expect closer to half these amounts and again, only with the best care & techniques.

3. i don't even know what i would do if i could pull 2 grams per watt like that....heck, even 1 gram per watt would be awesome for me...what system do you use to pull that much? those are amazingly awesome numbers

4. Hey jelly, what strains are you refering to? whats the setup like..

5. I do 18 plants under 4400w hps. I have been getting an average of 2.75lbs per 1000w. That is also after
    7 weeks of veg in 5gal grow bags under two T5's. So(with Co2) i am getting approx 4g per watt. So for the moment i am not changing a thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Always open to comments, questions, and advice....

My current crop is 4 weeks into bloom. I will add some pics when my lights come on tonight. Oh ya, i am growing Pre 98' Bubba Kush. Some of the stronger meds thats out there. I am running FFOF Soil along with the full FF line of nutes. Nothing else except CalMag. I think i am doing pretty good considering i have only completed 3 grows so far, #4 is the crop growng right now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. ^that's crazy awesome

just to give a heads up, 2.75lbs = 44 oz * 28.3 = 1245.2grams total / 1000w = 1.245 grams per watt

7. Never really good at math...but thanks for correcting me though. But i still seem to be outdoing the usual yields according to this site at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. #8 Jellyman, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    My heaviest plants are an Original Haze/Jack Herer/Russian Kush hybrid called Mother's Finest by Sensi Seeds. It produces three distinct phenos; an excellent Haze with the typical 6'+ Haze stretch, a crappy indica dom and the short, heavy one I always grow (standard pheno). They get topped a few times to make six colas. They finish just over two feet tall and a foot in diameter. Each cola averages about a half ounce dry. Combined with the lower buds, each plant consistently makes a quarter pound of trimmed, dry bud. 2x2 fit under a 400w, 3x3 under a 600w, 4x4 under a 750-800w, etc. It has a wonderfully euphoric, clear and happy high that's great for smoking all day, even when there's work to be done; my personal favorite. The Haze pheno is an even better smoke, imo one of the best in the world, but has low yields, stretches to over 6' no matter how many stalks it's trained to have and takes over 110 days to flower. The standard pheno takes 90 days.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the Sensi's recent MF seeds have been inviable and so I can't recommend trying to purchase it. I've been in touch with them to bring the problem to their attention but it has yet to be rectified. Last I heard, one of their people was testing a few packs but hasn't mentioned any results.

There are other heavy strains like Big Bud that will produce similar if not even higher yields. Run some searches for "highest yielding strain" at GC & Google to find more suggestions.

I feed with high-N and high-P Guanos, Bone Meal, Maxicrop and 0-0-30 Palm Bunch Ash. I use a substrate mix that starts with Edna's Best soil, Worm castings and the above ferts. The plants flower under enhanced spectrum HPS's. I veg clones under CFL's because they don't need to veg quickly when the flowering plants go for 90 days.

Here's a c&p of how I train in veg:
    Personally, I always top plants during veg, leaving two nodes on each. Once the two shoots from the top node each have a node on them, they are also topped and one node is left on each. There are now four shoots growing from these two nodes at the top of the plant. By the time those four shoots get growing, the two shoots growing from the very bottom node of the plant reach canopy level, provided they received enough light. Each plant goes into flowering with six stalks, all at roughly the same height.

• Like Like x 1
  9. This is only my 2nd grow.
    I'm using a 1000 watt HPs bulb in a 3x hood, and I'm doing a hydro ebb & flow table. I have 8 indaca plants that are about to be flipped.
    I'm using Home & garden nute line. Any suggestions?

10. #10 greaterthings123, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    Ask around about Soul Synthetics.  It was recommended to me and I went with it.  I'm in CoCo though.  Aurora Innovations also has organic lines as well.  http://www.aurorainnovations.org/player-masterpacks-soulsynthetics.html

11. I'd like to know how this turned out

12. 3.5lbs for 750w
    Your in dream land

• Like Like x 2
  13. I am a firm believer that a perfectly controlled grow room environment, ( air flow, temp <> RH, natural co2, not all co2 is the same, light cycles, and the right nutrients) trumps light wattage after you hit 50 watts per square foot. I have repeatedly grown more bud per square foot, using 30 x 30 x 72 tents using just a single 600w on a dimmed 1k ballast then most growers in my co-op that have rooms double, even triple my size using 1200 to 3k of lighting. My last grow I got 2.5 lbs of destemmed bud and a little over a pound of shake from just 4 plants. Sure their are many other factors that go into the equation, but optimizing ones growing environment is the real key to maximizing ones bud quality and ones bud quantity!

14. Thats over 2g/watt.

15. ive gotten close to 1/g per watt before but never grow the highest yielding strains

16. Okay. Well that's like someone saying they can run 70mph and you saying "well I've almost run 35, so seems legit"

17. I got 864 grams off of a 1k.

Set-up was:

1K Hortilux bulb
    Cali connections Sour Diesel
    9 plants ~ 36" tall in 5x5 tent
    3.4 gallon plastic pots.
    FFOF soil
    Flora Nova Nutrients, molasses, Kool Bloom Ripener.
    I vegged for 3 weeks under T-5's 24/0
    All cuttings from one mother plant.
    My target for this set up is always 32 OZ's. I run different strains, but the set-up is always the same.

18. Impressive, I have a cutting of pre 98 that I got when I lived in sunset beach maybe 7 years ago, I still have the genetics, one of my favorite strains.
    I've tried it in many diffrent mediums, aerojet, coco, Rockwood, dwc, undercurrent, and soil. Grew her indoors and in a green house. Large plants and a sog, she responded different in every way.
    The green house produced beautiful purple nugs, the aerojet caused her to grow a lot of hairs. Coco was really good, but the best was Rockwood sog.
    Used house and garden with her.
    I could never get large yeilds certainly not 2.75 lbs per 1000w
    I think the largest was around 2lbs per 1000w.

19. It's depends on how good ur lighting is and how good ur nutrition is and how good ur soil is filled with perlite is best :)

20. Mutes are good trans plant use the great
    White shark works best for better root development when trans planting I used it when I trans planted into 5 gallon containers and they grew to half pound plants easy under a 250 I put
    Them out
    Doors because lighting wasn't enough by the time I was done begging for 2.5 months