Best way to use trim

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by smalltimegrow, Dec 7, 2010.

1. To start off, this may be in the wrong section, if so can someone move it?

Anyway, I've been having large amount of trim left over and i have made butter and Iso hash. My question is what is the most effective way to use trim to get the most thc out of it?

I did the hash but didn't seem that i got that much (about 2-3 zips of some trim) but this made about 1-2 solid grams.

Also if other people could post there results. Like using bubble bags, qp of trim to some many grams that would be AWESOME! :cool:

2. Have you used this?

3. Yep, and if you purge all the butane out of the finished product you get a very pure, healthy hash that will get you so baked

4. The ratios of bud/trim to hash will vary heavily depending on strain. Some hash plants are covered in trichomes and other strains hardly compare.

I have bubble bags 8 and 4 bag sets in 5 gallon size and have used them extensively, but unless you have a machine to do the agitation, it is very labor intensive and time consuming.

I use a Tamisium extractor to make my chemical extractions, and they are far more potent than bubble hash. I've used it to make infused olive oil, pure BHO (it automatically purges during the recovery if you get the entire system), and multisolvent extractions. The price tag may put you off at first, but you get far more than you pay for.

5. Canna butter.....Canna oil
    I've never had an edible that worked...........til I made my own.

6. I like to make iso oil....quick and easy and I don't need a bunch of fancy equipment and dangerous chemicals...metal pie pan, screen strainer, coffee filters, 1 qt mason jar....ten minutes work max, then let it evap for a while on a oil filled radiator type heater for a couple hours and voila, OIL! It may not be quite as pure as butane extraction, but having done both...it's dam sure safer and easier! Plus it's been below freezing here for weeks and it really sux trying to do a butane extraction outside in 20 degree weather with a 40 mph wind blowing...I can do iso extract right in the "toasty" comfort of my kitchen and my feet don't even get cold!;)

7. first of all i dont think i would recommend butane to anyone - simply because of the dangers. that being said, butane hash is great, if youre super interested check it out but i think there are other ways to get the most out of your trim. i think youre right in trying iso, but perhaps your method was lacking some steps? first of all, did you freeze your trim before using it? this will allow the resin heads to more easily break off when youre agitating the trim. i would also think about doing multiple washes of the same trim, most of the time you have more to get to. if you are using a coffee filter i would recommend considering otherwise. coffee filters will catch a portion of your resin heads, not the most effect thing to use but usually the most readily available. again, if youre looking to increase the output of your trim, this is something i would not overlook. and lastly, ive found you can greatly increase the quality and potency of your hash batch by decarboxylating it. during this process you are changing the THCA to THC thereby increasing the overall usable psychoactive element to the hash. you can do this by heating the hash. the exact numbers and time vary from source to source, ive had success at around 200 for 15 or so min in my oven. obviously this step should be taken AFTER your hash solution has completely dried and the alcohol has COMPLETELY evaporated. (you can smell it and see it, it's worth the wait i dont know why people want to make shit hash by scraping it up early into a goopy hash-alcohol mix. that is NOT good iso.) anyhow, youll endup with a pretty sticky/flaky batch of hash. so far this has been my favorite and most effective method. like i said before, if you start to scrape it up with a razor and its still wet at all let it sit longer. there shouldnt be any rush in making hash.
    couple reminders: keep it stored in complete dark (i have a shelf in the pantry, seems easiest. good ventilation is helpful and necessary when making large batches)
    pyrex is the only way to go when choosing a pan.
    razor blades and a handy little handle for 1 are your friends when making hash. trust me.

anyhow, im sure ive written more than you ever wanted to hear but can you blame me for rambling?

-imo

ps- coldwater is great hash as well. fuck those bogus bubble bags though, wayyyy overpriced. i dont know why the word "micron" suddenly makes mock pool filter bags expensive. IMO, check out some of the biodiesel or pool filter sites for super cheap sets of micro bags. i wouldnt recommend doing any heavy blending in these, but you can use them to just filter the resin heads out (no way right, theyre going to filter?) anyhow, just my 2 cents on 200-300 dollar bubble bags. you can get that shit for 30 dollars.

8. #9 TANKJR, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
    Yes, thank you....everything is frozen good before I start! Trimmings and alcohol just stay in the freezer all the time until I'm ready to make a batch. I'll even freeze the mason jar before making a batch! The colder you can do this, the better the oil....but I haven't tried making it in a walk-in freezer yet...someday maybe.:D

I wasn't doing a step by step tutorial on making it....there's plenty of info here already on that subject and that was not what the OP asked for anyway.

And I will respectfully disagree on the pie pan, having used both...the metal pan (mine is a heavy aluminum antique) as opposed to pyrex or glass....glass does not transfer heat nearly as good as the aluminum does when evaporating the alcohol, but we obviously have slightly different technique for making this stuff...I don't think there is an absolutely one right way to make this stuff anyway...I've used all the solvents except Chloroform for extraction, and iso is definitely the easiest. BTW, Anybody know where I can buy chloroform? The supposed advantage of using chloroform is that chlorophyll will not disolve in it, so no green in your oil.