Best timer brand?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by pimpygrub, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ok, I bought an analog (non-digital) timer from lowes a while back and it never worked since I opened it. Unfortunatly I threw the receipt and packaging away before I tested it so I was screwwed. Well, I bought a digital timer from home depot and it started off working fine. Well, now it won't work worth a crap..I can set the timer and it will work and then when I come back later the timer is set to off and the programming is erased and time is reset. My question, what brand of timers do you guys use and which ones do you avoid? I'm going to splurge a little this time and buy an expensive one in hopes that you get what you pay for as I leave for 2 weeks at a time and won't be around to fix anything if it goes wrong so I need my timers to work properly. Just FYI, the timer I'm talking about is running my watering system..set to come on once evey few days for a few minutes.

2. I've always just used the 6-7$ cheap mechanical ones from our version of walmart. With the mechanical ones you don't have to worry about the settings being erased. Make sure you are not plugging in more lights and fans than the amperage can handle for your timer tho. If you need to use 2, then go get another one.

It's just a preference thing, but I get the type with the buttons you push in and pull up for the on/off times as opposed to the ones that use the little plastic tabs. You can set those type up to turn your water pumps on for 15 mins, off 15, on 15 for 24/7, and you don't have to worry about losing tabs lol.

3. I can't use those though because I need the water on for less than 15minutes or i will drown my box out. has to be on for like 5 minutes 10 max. Sucks..unless you got an idea.

4. What type of hydro set up are you using? 2 things come to mind without knowing, the first is to get a lower rated water pump, the second is to put your reservoir lower than your "box" and run a drainage line to it and let gravity work for you.

But I haven't seen a mechanical timer with increments of les than 15 minutes unfortunately.

5. Not using a hydro setup, just soil. it's a drip irrigation I use to water while I'm gone 2 weeks for work. The water pump I have is probably the lowest you can use..won't pump water over 3 ft high and the water bucket is as low as it can go. I could lower the water level but I don't think that would be a good idea because I have an aquarium heater in it and I don't want it to run empty while I'm gone.

6. Not a hydro guy, but cant you run a dripper or 3 bac to the res and this would allow you to use a timer like mentioned before. If it still floods out on a test, add another dripper to feed more water back to the res. and so on until it works right with a mechanical timer. Sorry if this souds dumb (i am not a hydro guy) but maybe you can take that info and adapt it some how to work better for ya. Just a thought.

7. OK, well at least you can switch over to manual watering if all else fails. I would call the manufacturer of your digital timer and tell them about the problem you're having. Maybe they can replace the unit, or tell you what is happening.

8. I use to have a tube running back to the reservoir, but I took it out cause my new system worked better. It just wouldnt put enough water...and the way it is setup now will work fine with a digital timer.

Manual watering really is not an option in my situation..I am gone 2 weeks straight each month because of my job. I work 2 weeks and then I'm off 2 weeks..so..I HAVE to have a timed water setup. I will try one more with a digital timer and if that doesn't work then I will revamp my system to use an analog timer. However..the first analog timer I bought never worked to begin with...what is the brand you guys use?

9. Maybe you could find some of those adjustable drip/emitter stakes at Home Depot and mess around with them, to see if they restrict the water flow enough to not over water them. You could also use a tee in the drip line that would further reduce the water pressure, and return back to the res what the back pressure from the drip/emitter can't use.

That might work with the Graslin Timer (Version2's type/15 min. increments). Some of those emitters just barely trickle, and with the tee, you might be able to really cut down on the volume of water going to your plant. Just a thought.....hope you get it figured out,

chunk

10. Thanks for all the suggestions..I will take them all into consideration if my next digital timer doesn't work out.

11. Wow, Don Piano had the same thing going while i was typing...............lol