Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Best Strain for Pain Relief and nausea?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by weedrelief, Jul 14, 2013.

1. #1 weedrelief, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    Hi, I'm a medical marijuana patient that had 2 major back surgeries and 4 other minor surgeries when i was only 11. It's been about 4 years since the surgeries but I still have tremendous amounts of pain, specifically an overall sore back, and huge loads of neuropathic pain in my legs from surgery nerve damage. I was wondering which strains (Indica vs Sativa/specific strains) work best for these kinds of pain (or pain in general). I tend to try a few different strains a week and it's quite hard for me to tell which one works better because of the stoned effect I get aswell. I can't really recall if it worked better, I just know that it worked. I don't want to rely on opiates/pharmas that were sent from hell, because of addiction and the issue of tolerance. Thank you very much! Peace. 

Oh and I have stomach irritation and occasionally get nausea, whats helps with that best?

You're only 15 years old?

Regardless you seem the perfect candidate for medical Cannabis, all strains I am guessing will help with the nausea.

As for neuropathic pain, maybe something like grape ape or trainwreck, might have to get someone else's opinion on this one though..

Good luck

3. I find for my hip pain indica or indica dominant is best you'd want something above 85% indica to get best results as it will relax muscles and joints also will help with the nerves as said previously indicas are relaxing apposed to a statics or sativa dominant that caters more for depression and heady issues

Hope this helps

Sent from my HTC Desire using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Get one of the dispensaries top shelf indica strains and youll be good to go. Just go easy on it if you have stuff to do as most indica dominant strains dont like to let you.

5. Chemdawg is the most powerful pain killer I've ever used. 

6. yeah i sorta dont agree with the trainwreck, since its mostly sativa. I find indica domanint strains help the most with body pain. or even something more like 50/50.

anyway I would rec to keep it simple since your young and new to this. any decent quality "kush" strain is one i would recomend.  and somthing morse of a sativa/indica hybrid for daytimeuse.   train wrek IS super strong and would help with pain, but liek ai said not the optimal strain, but if the indicas make you too sleepy, then the wrek might be also one to try

7. My wife uses Blue Dream, which is 80% Sativa and has very good results with it.

8. Ok, thanks for the response. I took your advice and asked for a kush and they gave me some sour kush which i think is a hybrid. i like how it provides pain relief without making me to drowsy. Do you think blue medi kush is good?

9. I get that reaction a lot haha. And yeah it was effortless to get the medical card because i am the perfect candidate. I didn't get to try those strains thou the dispensary changes there inventory every 2 weeks.

10. IMO definitely stick with an indica strain for pain and for nerve pain also. I was always a sativa fan until I began the chronic pain in my back. I have a lot of nerve damage also and the indica strains work great for me. I have taken so many dr. Prescribed scripts for nerve pain and MMJ is the best rx for me. I had every side effect imaginable from all that crap. Not to mention the huge weight gain which just makes it all worse. Good luck to you and take care!

11. From what ive read indica strains should help more with pain (due to cannabidiol or CBD). My girl has had multiple back surgeries as well, her pain level is typically 7-9 with periodic flairs where it rarely dips below a 9. We have tried to shift our diets to include healthier foods, i think that plays an important role in pain management. In addition, I've read that Myrcene found in cannabis annd mangos assists the cannabinoids (thc, cbd, cbc etc.)across the blood-brain barrier. Cbd, thc and i believe cbc are neuroprotective antioxidants, and also had the medicinal properties you seek. We tried eating a few mangos once and they were very hard unripe mangos, and she had no beneficial effects from this. Discouraged we didnt try it again until just recently when we found good ripe mangos at a natural fruits stand. We blended one with pineapple juice and water and consumed it, waited roughly an hour and began medicating with what i believe was a sativa strain (thats what is available where we live). Even with a presumed higher thc lower cbd strain her pain receeded to a 3 on the doctors 1-10 pain scale. She hasn't had pain that low in a very long time. Mangos also have healthy antioxidants including lots of vitamin c. In summary, ripe soft mangos appear to increase the pain relieving properties of inhaled cannabis due to the high amounts of myrcene absorbed into the blood during digestion. I hope that helps you! (plus it makes your meds more efficient and last longer)

12. If it works stick to that one, but maybe get a 1g sample of the blue medi kush to try out. see how you doo. if it is super heavy and you get sleepy, maybe you can use that as your night time strain.

13. Kush is fairly safe pice for a good pain releaver. but there are soo many great strains out there, only trying will let you know what you like best:)  but take it slow. dont go buck wild with 6 strains an order. take it slow. ass 1 or 2 small samples of a strain everytime you get your main strain. and if you really like one, add that to the main strains list and keep on moving on to what ever you can try. over time you will prob have a good 5 or 6 strains you know are nice and then if one is out then get one that is closest to what you know.

Good luck!

14. Damn blades, all great advice!

@[member="weedrelief"] Ask about any high CBD strains they may have. An Indica dominate, high CBD strain would probably help a lot with your pain. 

Good luck!

15. Go for the heaviest strongest Indica that you can get your hands on. I have spinal or arthritis and all I smoke is Indicas. The painkilling properties is found in the CBD. So what I'm always looking for is HighCBD strain which is not easy to find. I hope Growers will start creating streams that are very high CBD low THC :)

16. Try Skywalker or any of the OG strains. You won't be disappointed. Work great for pain

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Try and look for a strain called Charlotte's Web. Very high CBD and low THC. Or try a tincture or balm

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Come to CA. Lots of High CBD strains to be found. 

19. I agree with others on the indica thing, but indica-hybrids can be good in particular, since you don't get as much of the sedation of you do with some pure indicas, and they can help the depression that comes with chronic illness.  Leafly.com has good explanations of strains.

Personally I like Blueberry and related strains (I've had Blue Moonshine, Beyond Blue Dream and Berry White as oil lately which have all been helpful).  OG varieties as someone mentioned, but those can be very sedating.  An older Kush like Master Kush is great for pain as well.  High CBD strains are also great to look for, but can be hard to find in medical states, impossible elsewhere...

These were all excellent suggestions, I've tried most of these now, and I've got to say my favorite has to be Heavy Indica's, specifically  OG based strains. It's been incredible for me though: I was suffering on a daily basis with debilitating pain. My back ached all the time and my leg felt like it's being either skinned/burned/cut/shocked/stabbed, just because of the nerve problems. Since starting cannabis, I haven't experienced this intense pain once. And I'm thinking to myself:  how can a medicine actually be that affective? 

I was literally about to end my life because of how horrible the pain was. But cannabis saved me. Thanks everyone!