best strain for outdoor grow northern alabama

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by lookingtolearn, Jan 28, 2010.

1. been a toker over 20yrs but have never attemed to grow my own. planing a small outdoor grom 2-4 plants but am worried about the right strains a for it is very humid here , with amply rain usually exspecially during the fall. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read Jorge Cervantes book Marijuana Horticulter (the grow bible) but i fear that i have info overload and am making this more difficult than need be. any tips would be helpful thanks all:wave::smoking:

2. I would go indica if I were you.

I'm going all idica except for a hash plant haze freebie I got (thanks attitude).
    I'm in N. Alabama too and the rain last October would have drown everything, so fast flowering is pretty important.

3. Starblazer is correct, A quick finisher is important because of the chance of Bud rot from moisture. I'm not sure of many relativly quick finishing Sativa's... Yet, thats what you would want to grow outdoors, cause they get huge, and unlike indoor size isn't a problem. Durban poisen, Maroc Gold, Pure Power Plant.... Hell, Big Bud..

4. thanks star will go that route.greatly appriciated will do as you suggest and see how it goes thanks again!

5. thanks to you as well nugga. will put your info to use as well. thanks for all the help folks.

6. No problem at all.

7. hey starblazer care to tell me which idicas you decided on so many to chose from thought you could give some tips on someting you are trying or have tried before

8. I haven't Grown outdoors until this year, but a friend of mine who grows in the area said his 2 biggest problems were spider mites and the Alabama clay.

And some good organic compost can solve both of those problems. Indicas generally are bug and mold resistant but organics in the soil will do wonders for the overall health of your babies.

If your in Madison co. I highly recommend Bennett's nursery. They have their own soil mix with all the peat moss and perlite you need to mix with native soil or just fill the holes, plus dolomite lime for the pH adjustment. And they carry all the organic amendments you need.

9. i am in limestine co. but lived in madison co. 15 yrs. thanks for the great info. ill check um out. was looking for a locale supplier of organics if you have any further helpful tips or ideas drop me a line thanks again

10. I'm in florida and i can you tell you right now don't get an Indica. If anything get some hybrids, but Indica tends to finish in September right when the humidity is 80% all the time. Plus indicas are less Mold resistant than hybrids and sativas. I usually grow strains that finish Oct/Nov because the humidity is lower and these strains typically are more mold resistant (contain genetics from the equator.)

11. There is a nice place to find grow supplies called the Harvest Feed Mill. Harvest should be a lot closer to you seeing as it's almost on the county line.

I went up there today and some of there selection surprised me. They have 40 lbs bags of black kow brand manure for $3.50, and chiken manure for $5. Bennett's chicken manure was $10 for a 40lb bag. And they ordered a bunch of bat guano, which I have never even seen in town before. they have all manner of pots and other organics and chicken wire for some plant protection

12. thanks again star for the info. i know right where that is do you know when they plan on getting the guano , cause like you i havent found any anywhere here. the closest place i found was up in nashville. gonna have to go check them out. went to bennett's to check um out they have a few organic items they're the only ones to carry worm castings but they're not pure mixed with some type of mulch i believe but its better than nothing.

have you by chance checked out C.T. GARVIN'S FEED & SEED over on holmes ave at pulaski pike been told they might carry some stuff as well. haven't had a chance to myself hope to try to get that may next week if you know anything about them holler @ me might save me a trip.

13. I went to HFM wednesday and they said the truck was supposed to arrive that day, but they said they'll be sure to have it before the weekend.

never been to C.T. Garvin's but i've heard of them, but not much about them. I'll check it out one of these days. bennetts is alright, the best thing is their homemade soil, i'm using it indoors right now with great results.

i'm probably gonna be picking up my stuff this weekend from HFM and working it into the plot on monday (no school!). got to get my blood and bone meal in there before too long because stray cats are all over my area and they ate my friends plants when they were a foot tall. and a coon dug up a couple of his seedlings.

14. exactly what I was going to say. a little bit of sativa genetics from the rainforests of colombia will definitely make your plants more mold resistant.

I believe durban poison is also a fairly hardy strain with good mold resistance. it also comes from a cooler climate than most other sativas....I'm considering growing it in western oregon this year.

but, yeah...indica/sativa hybrids are usually the way to go.... possibly a.m.s from greenhouse seeds.

some of the seeds that Barney's seed co. sells have also recently caught my attention.

I haven't been around the south alot, but I believe it stays quite warm down there(idk your first frostdate. you should look that up), I'd imagine mold resistance is much more important than flowering time.

15. thanks for the advice my first frost date is somewhere between early/mid october have all ready ordered some A.M.S(GHS) has yet to arrive. track show it hit N.Y on 2-4. hope it didnt get lost or worse lol. hope that guarentee is good from the tude. keepim the fingers crossed.

16. I ordered my greenhouse seeds off of The Attitude too.
    After they landed in the States the tracking didn't say anything until it arrived at my door, very covertly might I add, so don't worry about it too much.

17. lol no school ! i havent had school in 27 yrs lol. hopeing to find work soon so i can finance my grow. may not happen but i aint iven up. wish i could find a way to do an indoor garden 1 plant even. any tips LOL

18. for beginning indoors I'd start with CFLs, they're the brightest and coolest for their price. Definitely use soil and a 3 gal pot with lots of low stress training and you can harvest some pretty good bud in no time at all