Best quote I've ever read.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SkunkWoodz, Feb 7, 2008.

1. So I just finished the book I was reading called "The Quantum and The Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet"

It's a conversation between a Buddhist monk and an astrophysicist. Anyways at the end of the book the monk reviews what he's learned from the astrophysicist and vice versa. The very last sentence of the book which is Trinh Xuan Thuan's section he says "Science can operate without spirituality. Spirituality can exist without science. But man, to be complete, needs both"

I don't know if this is the best quote I've ever really read but at the moment it is most definitely the most meaningful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Indeed true. Im a physicist, and I just see people throw their lives to science without ever thinking outside for once. It's sad. But i guess on the other end, there are those who throw away all reason to radical and unfounded reason.

3. great quote and sounds like a very interesting read that i'm going to have to get my hands on

4. I wouldn't say it's silly to disregard a figment of your imagination, that's what spirituality is after all. There's no proof for it, we just have this really big hunch...or does it stem from some psychological insecurity that people have about the concept of life?

5. Nicely said. :) I agree totally. :D

6. Indeed it is a very nice qoute, and it makes a lot of sense. Its realy much like any buddhist saying, and it has this main theme of opposites, like Ying Yang, you always need both opposing forced to have balance, otherwise you are ignoring a very large part of who, and what you are, and your understand of your perpous.

I actualy have one Buddhist qoutes which I realy love, and can compare to. "Every wakeful step, every mindful act is the direct path to awakening. Wherever you go, there you are". Its very motivational, makes you beleive that there realy is a perpous, rather then just a stumble in a dark room. There are a lot of otherones which are pretty amazing, if you can, get your hands on a book called 'Buddha's little instruction book" compiled by Jack Kornfield, has about 120 Buddhist qoutes.

7. neat, but unrealistic.

• Like Like x 1