Best pH/EC/TDS Meter?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Merciless, Nov 12, 2010.

1. hello everyone

I'm looking for the best pH/EC/TDS meter; one that doesn't need to be calibrated often, will provide reliable results, and won't need to be replaced within the first couple months of use

what do you guys recommend?

2. I have a hanna it has to be calibrated but I wouldn't say often I cal it once a month to be safe the solution is cheap u just have to keep the probe wet with the storage solution

3. I think I've settled for a Milwaukee meter, I've read lots of positive feedback on them

Now, to choose between SM801 or SM802, how do I know what's the proper testing range I should look for?

SM801
    RANGE:
    • 0.0 - 14.0 pH
    • 0 - 1990 µS/cm
    • 0 - 1990 ppm

ACCURACY:
    • ± 0.2 pH
    • 2% full scale
    • 2% full scale

SM802
    RANGE:
    • 0.00 - 14.00 pH
    • 0.00 - 6.00 mS/cm
    • 0 - 4000 ppm

ACCURACY:
    • ± 0.20 pH
    • 2% full scale
    • 2% full scale

SM802 seems more precise but is it needed?

Any help would be appreciated

4. I am interested in this same question, bump

5. Ultrameter IIâ„¢

In near daily usage for near 10 years.
    Same set of probes.
    pH calibration shows probe @ 50% life.
    Pricey but worth it.

6. $1000?! god damn.. I'll get a few grows under my belt before dishing that much for a PH meter, lol

I'm looking for something in the 200-300$ range preferably

Since you're most likely experienced with this stuff, based on the testing ranges in my previous post, which would you suggest? :)

7. IMHO

Anything Hanna makes is OK .. as is OKI
    I like the HI98129 @ $140 ish.
    Make sure that it is at least 2 point calibration on pH
    Expect to calibrate pH 2X a month and EC / TDS 1X a month.
    I always recommend that people buy at least 250 ml of the calibration and storage solutions.

8. You DID ask for the 'best'. LOL

The one we use at work is a MyronL, ~$750.

I have the Milwaukee SM101, but that is pH only and I am in soil.

Unless you are stuck on a combo, I would suggest separate meters for pH and EC. The cost is about the same.

Big +1 on the 250ml size for solutions and make sure you get all you need. Spare batteries too.

Research is really your friend here.

Wet

9. Any update on what you went with and how it's been working for you?

I'm doing my research too and Milwaukee seems to get better praise than Hanna. Actually DrTrichome was the first person to say anything bad about them that I've heard. Hanna seems 50/50 from reviews.

I think having separate meters is the best choice too, so I've heard. Something about wearing out the sensors quicker(from storing solution?) in the multi units.

Anyways, I'm stuck between the Milwaukee SM801 and SM802 as well.

10. Personally i'd go for the first. I'm assuming there's a price difference between the two? From the figures you've got there there's no difference in how they measure pH and you're never going to need to measure PPMs of over 1990. Looks to me like the benefits of the latter would never see any use.

Hope that helps
    Orient

11. go with the 802 I use the same one and it works great. In my opinion you dont want a meter that requires NO calibration, how would you ever know if it was off? I use the 802 and bought a box of 10packets 1500ppm and 10 packets 7.0 calibration for about 20 dollars and a small bottle of storage solution (never let the tip dry out) Calibrating is so easy dont let it scare you, once youve done it the first time you see. also go to walmart or target and get one of those pen type digital thermometers, itll ensure you dial your calibration in perfectly. hope this helped.

12. You will want the 801. You only need to test up to 1999.
    In a pinch you could use use a 999 meter just add an equal amount of plain water
    (the same water you originally used to start with) to your sample and double the reading.

13. any one recognize the hm digital set with the ph meter and the ec, tds, temp meter.
    just got one today and im a bit confused about the tds its reading in the high 700s for plain water at 6.3ph.
    i grow in soil so i tested the run of and it had dropped to about 500 and the ph dropped to 5.8. is this normal.
    im new to all this tds ppm ec.. stuff is new to me