Best Heavy Metal Guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by thccrystals, Sep 7, 2003.

?

Who is the best metal guitarist?

1. Kirk Hammet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dave Mustaine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dimebag Darrel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. John Petrucci

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kerry King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Marty Friedman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Jason Becker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chuck Shuldiner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jeff Hanneman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Andreas Kisser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1. I dunno dude, Hit the Lights has a pretty sick solo, especially for 1983. Maybe it was Mustaine's though, I'm not sure. I still love kirk's solos though, no matter what you say. Personal preferance, you are correct about that.

2. Jimmy Page

3. Zakk Wylde. His shit is fucking insanity. Right up there with Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, VH, Randy Rhoads, Dimebag, the whole deal. Its hard to pick one.

4. Clapton? i was pushing it with Page, but Clapton is miles away from heavy metal. blues never has and never will sounnd anything like metal.

5. No way man! Listen to old Metallica solos!!

6. ??? are you saying they sound like blues? if so maybe blues can sound like metal but clapton is still no where near a metal guitarist.

7. andy larocque from King Diamond all the way!

8. It's been a while since I posted on this thread and a lot has changed! I'd now have to mention Herman Li of DragonForce, Paul Masvidal of Cynic/Death/a bunch of others, John Petrucci of Dream Theater and a whole hash of other ones. I could reel off a pile of guitarists in the underground who could lay waste to almost anyone on that list to prove how kvlt I am, but I won't. (love me).

By the way Dirty, thanks to you're constant recommendations on this very thread, I've become a huge Savatage fan in the last year or so! (this is a truly venerable old thread you know) It's true as well, Criss Oliva was a master of his instrument.

Michael Angelo is insane. Listen to 'No Boundaries.'

9. John Lennon.

Petrucci > all

10. Chuck Schuldiner owns all others, especially shitty guitarists like Kirk Hammet

11. Slash!

Yea, November Rain man, don't forget that, best solo of all times almost

12. I'm afraid I'll have to heartily disagree with that. Do we dare get into a 'best solo' debate? I think it's time for a new thread.

...actually, after searching the forum, it would seem there's already a thread like that. Started by me! Oh well, maybe I'll resurrect it.

13. My vote for best solo on a metal record goes to Chuck Schuldiner for his solo on "Empty Words" from the Symbolic album.

14. Dimebag. Pantera owns all.

15. you say that the riff to stillborn sucks numetal balls, yet you put andreas kisser on the list? you also left off two of the baddest guitarists to ever take the stage...tony iommi and randy rhoads...love dime may he rest in piece and hammett is a god, but wylde rhoads and iommi are without a doubt my all time faves...i also have to add the fact that i think that dave mustiane is an idiot...he's built his career off of bieng kicked out of metallica...kerry king, maybe not the most inovational guitarist, but try and play some of his solos...they're fucking nuts...malmsteen, though a kick ass guitarist...is just an egomaniac...and clapton laid a lot of the groundwork for metal guitar with cream...matter of fact listen to mustiane's solos, they're all basic pentatonic runs and guess what 99.99999% of blues solos are...PENTATONIC RUNS! rock n' roll was born of blues, so give the blues respect...no matter what i think the two most inovational and just incredible guitarists ever are jimi hendrix and the one and only dave gilmour...enough said...

16. kirk hammett.. what a joke. king or schulinder would play hammett in the dirt... if schulinder were still alive that is. no wait, fuck that, his corpse could still blow the shit out of him.

17. Yea Stillborn is terrible, it's obvious. Kisser and Sep kinda went in that numetal direction, true, but he's a thrash legend in my book so whatever. I left out Iommi and Rhodes simply because I think of their stuff more as hard rock than as metal. Clapton and Hendrix?-It's more obvious why they aren't on the list.

18. eh.. i play bass, i dont play regular guitar.

19. how about some of these new metal guitarists like mark morton and willie adler from lamb of god, doc and dallas coyle from god forbid, the guys from mastodon and killswitch kick ass too...want proof, listen to the song "ashes of the wake" on the album "ashes of the wake"...the guys from lamb of god do it with chris poland and another ex-megadeth guitarist...and they all trade off solos and morton and adler absolutley schooled poland and the other guy...kick ass bands...

20. I rock out to that song a lot lately. It's really fuckin' good and they got 80's thrash legends to play leads on it, damn I love that track.

Oh and on a GF note, if you'll believe Dallas went to my friends frat house after a gig and played on his guitar and hung out with them. Cool shit.

Yea they're all good guitarists but I dunno if they'd top the list.