Best Digital 1000w Ballast?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DubSacAssassin, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hey mates! I'm thinking of upgrading to digital ballasts but there's so many on the market I'm having trouble finding one to stick with...

If I could get some feedback on what not to buy and what to buy that would be great. I had either the lumatek or nextgen in mind...

And secondly; would 4 600w hps be better than 2 1000w hps?? Would It generate more heat?

2. Never had a problem with my NextGens!

3. Lumatek/Quantam/Baddass/NextGen

All comparable in quality, price, and technology. Updated Lumateks and the other three all run on lower Hz then previous digital ballasts. All boast soft start up, energy savings, dimmable, newer multiple volt and no "switching" (will fire HPS/MH). All boast same hefty price tag ($325-$400) too. All share a PAR increase, less heat output, less noise than traditional coil units. They also all share consistently longer product life, less malfunctions and better warranties then their no name counter parts. Don't cheap out and save $65 bucks when it comes to your lamp. Chump change in the long run.

4. Okay thanks for the input fellas! My next concern is the "dimmable" feature and if it's just bogus or if it actually works? The lumateks have a feature that's supposed to put out more than normal light and less than? And Is this safe for the bulb?

The nextgens look nice, guys at the hydrostore say the quantums have less returns and the lumateks just kinda catch my eye as I've seen a few blades on here using em.

If it were you; which ballast would you buy and why?

5. i was running Nextgens a while back and several units cooling fans started to become noisy. i didnt like that.

6. I have new and old lumatek in the 400 and 1000 watt. I also have multiple Phantoms in the same wattage. I like the Phantom ballasts beter because of the indicator lights (easy to know if something is wrong with the ballast when the lights go out), the handle, and the ability to set it on end.

I've only ever had one digital ballast fail, and it was one of the 1000W lumatek.

The major complaint I have with the Phantom is the change they made with the plugs and mounting hardware. The new Phantoms have the same plug style as the lumateks, but the photo on the box is of the original square head plugs. The changes in hardware are annoying too. Some have hex head bolts, while others have a round head bolt for use with a Phillips head driver. The hex head is better. These inconsistencies are really annoying for someone when they want to run 240v and buy a bunch of cords only to find a different plug style when I get home.

Rant done.

7. Thanks for Rant StinkBomb and babri! This is the info I'm lookin for. Those inconsistencies sound like a huge hassle if it includes a trip back to te grow store...definatly could put a hold on things. Thanks for mentioning that as I will remember to check what's inside the box lol

Anybody have some experience with the quantums?

8. None yet personally. There are video reviews with lux and par measurements on youtube. most retailers i talk to say they are the new thing a lot of people are buying. If I remember correctly one video I watched on you tube measured the decibels and because of the additional fans on the quantam it runs a little louder then the old school coils even. Don't know if that matters to you..

9. Yes noise is definatly a factor as I have a magnetic ballast right now that's going on about a year of service and holy shit its the loudest fucking thing! Humms like a damn church choir, can hear it upstairs through the floor... And I can see a noticbke difference in light output compared to my newer magnetic ballast. The newer one is still nice and quiet thankfully.
    I do see the fans as being a point of failure however. I wonder If the fans are an easy replacement on most the units?

Well I guess there's no holy digital ballast on the market yet lol. Anymore feedback would be great and I appreciate all your responses. These things are kind of expensive but I hope to gain the most from my investment which is why I started this thread :)

10. Anybody ever heard of ReVolt digital ballasts? I was just browsing online and came across a listing for one but can't find any info on it really. Can only find it from one retailer. They have a video up claiming it gets 9% higher par reading and a slightly higher lux reading then the nextgen..

11. global green house ballasts are the bomb and the thousands seem to out preform dual 600's. Better light penetration for firmer bud.

12. Yeah I have been reading a bit about those. becoming way popular on the left if i'm not mistaken. I've read good things. However in the description they talk about it running at a higher frequency so I dunno about running the EYE horti on it. It is also not dimmable which I have decided I want so can harden off after transplant and move to flower.

I've narrowed my choices to the Baddass, Quantum, and Phantom.

And please don't turn this into an A.N. flame. Everything I have purchased from them has knocked my socks off. Nutrient wise anyway. I know its a ballast manufactured in hong kong or china with their name on it but so is EVERYBODY elses product/s. But they do implement certain technologies they come up with into the OEM manufacturing. If the baddas lowere frequency digital is legit then it could be an awesome product. No way I'm going to pay more than $375 for it though. Shit you can find the quantum shipped to your door for $275, phantom for $300.

13. Lumatek and phantom are both hydrofarm correct??

Hey sox,
    I'll be getting the select-a-watt lumatek or whatever the newest version is. the reason being is that you can fire 1000w, 750w, 600w AND TWIN 600w hps or mh bulbs. This versatility is really what I need...I've already purchased a sunpulse splitter, two 600w ultra sun bulbs, two econo-wings and a hydrofarm magnetic ballast(it was all I had money for) I think I'll be returning the magnetic ballast as I haven't opened the box yet and I'll just order the lumatek.
    These 600w bulbs will be added to the 2 1000w cooltubes I already have in te flower room. After the harvest I'll be able to use the splitter to run two tents; one for mothers and another for vegging plants :)

I bet the two 600's on the super lumen setting are gonna kick ass!! Cooltubes are nice but they SUCK at spreading light in a larger room...I may ditch em and save em for the veg tents... I currently have a cooltube and the econowing on 1000w bulbs and the econowing is definatly better. But that side of the room is 2 deg hotter...I'm thinking custom vented umbrellas...

14. I have had experience with Magnetic, HTG Digital Greenhouse, Lumatek, and Quantum.

Had one magnetic fail 400w

Three Digital Greenhouse 1000w fail

Three Digital Greenhouse 600w working 2 years

Lumatek and Quantum have been burning bulbs for 3 years!

I can definatly hear the difference between Digital Greenhouse and Quantum/Lumatek in the bulb. Digital Greenhouse must drive the bulb hard, sounds like a Mag driven bulb.

15. Uhh ohh ned's following me around GC...haha glad you popped in!
    I like the sound of burning bulbs for 3+ years!! Glad I decided to rock the lumatek :hello:

...just gotta return this stupid mag ballast first :rolleyes:

Ned, any thoughts on burning two 600w hps bulbs on a single digital ballast?

16. Here's my experience with Baddass ballasts. Seriously I'd have a hard time recommending these to anyone after trying them out. Their base foods are good but their Low Frequency ballasts need to be reworked.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCX-weZhm0"]YouTube - Advanced Nutrients Digital Ballast Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAjsRlqcfw"]YouTube - Advanced Nutrients Digital Ballast Part 2[/ame]

17. So you are telling me they block RFI really well, and run really quiet? lol. Jeez.

Aside from that you have any idea how they compare with lux/par to quantum/phantom? Does the lower hertz help sustain the bulbs?

18. #19 StinkBomb, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
    LOL at badass ballasts. Go to the Advanced Nutrients website and read their glowing praise for the greatest ballast ever created. That was some funny shit. Thank you for posting the videos.

I had guys working in a room with 16 1000 watt phantoms running. The ballasts are silent, run at 100 degrees on the surface of the housing. And their little portable stereo was belting out the eighties station all day without the slightest sound of static.

AN Fail.

19. Alright guys well I went back to the hydro store to return my magnetic ballast and got to talking with one of the sales managers...he asked me if there was anything wrong with the ballast and I simply said no, I actually found a 1000w lumatek online for $300...he said "ohh okay" then went to town on the computer; about a minute later he says I can get you one for $316 out the door! I about shit my pants at this point and gladly opted to take one home :smoke:

standing there talking to the rep I couldn't keep my eyes off the whole line of reflectors hanging in front of me while thinking in my head how bad the cooltubes suck at spreading...so the rep and I got to talking again and I added 2 hydrofarm daystar air-cooled reflectors and another econo-wing..

I was out the door for $5 and change with
    1 lumatek 1000w dimmable
    2 hydrofarm daystars
    1 econo-wing
    1 adapter
    1 bottle of at guano super tea
    1 little bottle of Einstein neem
    &
    10 steel garden stakes
    :hello: