Best Dehumidifier For a 2x2 Grow Tent?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ciarán69, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Hi
    I have 2 plants in a 2x2 tent in soil, 11 liter pots, with a 55w tube heater & a Migro 100 LED. The last feed 4 days ago I started to feed each of them 2 liters of water. Im guessing that will increase now throughout flowering?
    I've just started flowering today, but I've been having real trouble with humidity. I was getting red spots on the leaves but I sorted it. Its at 76-84% now with the light off.

Anyone have any dehumidifier recommendations?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

2. 3 options I thought of in order of my preference:
    1. Increase ventilation from a lower humidity room/air source. Here in Southern California we have really low RH air so just bringing in fresh air into the flowering rooms decreases humidity.
    2. Since your in a tent you could buy a small electric dehumidify that will do the trick. looks like $35-45 on amazon. (I prefer this over the next option)
    3. You can setup a pan or bucket of Kitty Littler or Calcium Chloride. It will absorb the excess mouisture. However you will have to replace it after awhile.

3. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm in Ireland & its winter, so humidity is high here. I'm looking for a dehumidifier online now. Im looking at the
    electriQ MD100 Twin Pack Bundle - 480 ml Rechargeable Desiccant Mini Dehumidifier.
    You get 2 for the price of 1 & it says it removes Max 0.48 liters in 24hrs. But I dont have a clue if they work very well. I was hoping someone would be using one now they could recommend

4. Hmm I have no experience with those, but I looked at a youtube video of the unit that someone took apart, and the idea behind it seems like it would work. However I'm not sure if 2 units would be enough to keep up with the amount of humidity your plants are releasing. Also every time you up your tent more humid air would enter in the tent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, I was thinking that.
    I'll have to spend cash I dont have & get a decent one!

Again thanks for taking the time.

6. You could try “desiccant silica” maybe a gallon or so worth. I’m not sure how much moisture it can absorb or how quickly but the nice thing is you can reuse it by simply putting it in the oven at 350f for an hour or so to dry it out.

Problem here is I’m not sure how well it will help and it might be more expensive for you in Ireland then a small humidifier.

Lastly a dehumidifier works by using a cold plate and a drain tank. The humid air hits the cold surface and causes the water to bead up and drip into a catch bin. So if you happen to have an old hot/cold water dispense or mini fridge you could build a dehumidifier but its going to take up a lot of space and be a pain to put together if your not handy or have tools

7. I thik I'll fork out for a proper dehumidifier. At least then I know it will work

8. I had a similar problem and it makes me want to ask you a question. Do you ventilate your tent? Are you pulling air through the tent? For example I use a 6-inch charcoal filter to keep the smell down and it creates a situation when it comes to dehumidifiers.

Straight to the point, I had to purchase a $200 50 pint dehumidifier and put near the back of my tent where I draw air into the tent in order to keep the humidity below 55%. I did not close off the room.

My last Harvest was riddled with Bud rot and you will definitely have problems with that kind of humidity.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. I thought they liked 60-75% humidity?

10. Dry Z Air!!!!
    Easy , compact and draws almost a liter of water a day! [​IMG]
    You can see mine in the far upper left hand corner. It dropped the humidity from 89% down to around 50% - 65% in less then 2 hours and keeps it there. And that’s a 3x3 tent to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I ordered a dehumidifier that is supposed to remove 1.5 litre a day. I dont close my tent during the day & partially close it at night. I have a 5inch extractor with a 4inch filter that I havent turned on yet. I'm waiting for a silencer & insulated ducting to arrive on Thursday.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

12. Hello Ciaran,

For my 2x4 grow room, I used a Vick’s cool mist adjustable humidifier. I aligned it with my air intake and sat it next to It. It is a filter-less humidifier meaning no filters will have to be used and it will provide up to 33 hours of humidifying although at the level I had it on, it would typically last 24 hours (give or take an hour). I picked it up at my local Walmart for about $40.

If your thinking about placing this inside your grow tent due to your 2x2 space, my recommendation may be a little too cumbersome but If your thinking about setting next to your intake, I would recommend this product. I have provided a link below if this seems it may suit your needs. Best of luck in your growing endeavors!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vicks-Fi...NVqPjrmBNwQlRQ0eTjXXVVfeyoJNkYykaAnNuEALw_wcB

13. The OP actually has the opposite problem of too much humidity. But it also sounds like they ordered a dehumidifier so it should be all good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. :jump:
    My apologies— I need to do a more thorough job of reading through. Hahah it was 2 am when I posted that, forgive me :sad:

15. Dont worry about it. I appreciate the fact you took the time to reply to my question.

Thanks!!

16. #16 JG2020, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
    This post is old as fuck.. I'm sure he's got one by now lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Grasscity Forum mobile app