Best color spectrum

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Kaleidoscopic, Apr 3, 2013.

1. What do you all think is the best color spectrum of lights to put on your plants? How do you set-up your lighting to do this?

2. aye prefer HPS, gnome saiyan?

3. Agreed. 6500k for veg. 2700k for flower ( lots of HPS are as low as 2300k I believe too, correct me if I'm wrong) YOM SANG?

4. Excellent, my hps is bling'n nahwimean

5. #5 Vanderlei, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    Deep reds and blues are by far the most important. 6500K and 2700K are used as general guidelines, but they are far from ideal. Green light is essentially useless for growing (except maybe for a small amount), but most bulbs have a lot of output in the green spectrum. Those are wasted lumens that the plant doesn't use.

LEDs are the best way to get an ideal spectrum, but they are less efficient and more expensive that other options at the moment.

You can't do anything to change the spectrum of your bulbs, you just have to buy ones with the right phosphor. For florescents, T5s and PLLs give you more options to get a more dialed in spectrum than traditional compact florescents.

There are two very good sticky's in the lighting forum that will tell you everything you want to know