Best Books To Help Me Understand Organics

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Gr33nPeace, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Like the title says. I want to try my hand at organics at some point in the future but before I begin I want to truly understand the why instead of just the how. I know there are plenty of helpful threads with beginner soil mixes and things of that nature but I would love to know more, such as why those soil mixes are effective (which ammendments provide certain nutrients, etc.) Sorry if a thread like this already exists, I couldn't find it. Thanks ahead of time blades.

2. +1, I'd love to read a book about this as well. :)

3. Glad to know I'm not the only one who would like this information. I'm a knowledge whore I guess, I have to know everything about something before I'll even begin to try.

4. I wouldnt go as far to say I wouldnt try but once I start I like to soak up as much as I can. :)

5. #5 Miggs809, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    I dont think you even need a book with all the articles listed in the organic forums. Read around especially the stickies, i've printed out more than a books worth of articles that were 100% free and talked about organics in general not just our thing.

Tons of Articles/PDF files in this one

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/976433-mycorrhizal-fungi-myths-truths.html

This is a general one i found using google

http://www.cias.wisc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/soilorgmtr.pdf

If you do want a book jorge cervantes (probably spelled wrong) made a book called the bible its for MJ cultivation it covers everything and has a great breakdown of nutrients, what they do and how the plants use them. It covers a bunch of other things as well but it will surely help you in your quest to understanding organics

6. #6 waktoo, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    OP-

While he is a cannabis "guru" of sorts, I feel it's safe to say that Jorge Cervantes knows next to nothing about the inner workings of the soil food web. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere where he suggested sterilizing soil because you didn't want any microbes in it. I could be wrong.

Try "Teaming with Microbes", by Jeff Lowenfels & Wayne Lewis. It's a real good book for an introduction into the various forms of biological activity that make "organic" gardening work. If you want to learn about the soil food web (which you do), stay away from books written for cannabis cultivation. You may do well sourcing books by Dr. Elaine Ingham. She's a world renowned soil microbiologist. Much of today's understanding of what's happening under our feet is due to her research and experimentation.

7. Teaming with Microbes - Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis

One Straw Revolution - Masanobu Fukuoka

Gil Carandang's BIM (Beneficial Indigenous Microorganisms) (.pdf)

microbeorganics.com provides an excellent outline of how the soil interacts on a microscopic level, as well as detailing proper ACT brewing instructions.

My favorite and my personal recommendation;

The New Organic Grower - Eliot Coleman

8. Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the recommendations. I'll pick up Teaming With Microbes as soon as I can and definitely The New Organic Grower seeing as it's your favorite.