Berginner looking for tips with buying and starting an indoor setup

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cooksley, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Depending on what kind of led you use (blurple), it takes the same wattage as HID to even compare. The HID will usually win against most blurple LEDs
    I run them about 12” but have had them as close as 6” in early flower without bleaching. I chickened out after three days there and moved up to 12”. But that’s the great thing about low wattage boards. I’m moving another 4 in there for 12 total and complete coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The tent is 32”x32”x63”.. so i calculated 48-50w sq ft. from 300w of true 12band spectrum blurple leds.. cant remember exactly how i came up with 48-50w sq ft. But is it correct??

Thanks @ Yar !!

3. Well i hope my vipraspectra blurple is better than a hid bulb.. (great spectrum) vipraspectra is not the best but not the worst either.. the other one i have is a YGROW and its amazing.. honestly i think both these lights are better than an hid compared at their power

[​IMG]

4. My LED uses around 200w, so they're not all the same in regards to power consumption. Plus with HID you have heat to compete with, which you get less of with LED lighting.

5. For square feet for lighting u just measure the floor sqft. So a 3x3 foot tent would be 9sqft... a 3x3x6 ft tent would be 54sqft of air space in tent

6. But your 200 watt led isn’t providing the results of HI
    I meant with the same wattage, HID produces better than blurple LED. You can get close with blurple, but not beat. Unless you have a Black Dog or high end blurple

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I feel sad for the new generation of growers who will never try hps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lol. Even though a lot of older growers are going to qb and leaving hps? If I ever get a house with the full-size basement I’ll probably buy me a little HPS kit set it up and give it a go

9. I actually want to start buying qb as supplement lightening. Never had much confidence in a led until i seen quantum boards

10. I switched from HPS to qbs and the quality is better. Density just as good or better too

9A6DD65C-A080-4167-96CF-35483FCDB3AA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. I’ve always wanted to grow but have a BLACK thumb lol. I’ve had the houseplants you barely have to water Venus fly trap cactuses, have killed everyone of them up until I started growing marijuana lol. When I first started researching 7 months ago I was planning on hps/mh but didn’t think I’d could deal with heat in my small apartment. Ended up buying wrong leds(700$) for 2! Then I saw the Amazing QB grows on here and was sold. Got 2 qb288 ASAP. Working on 2 more

12. My cactus and succulents get canna nutes and grow in coco and perlite ha ha

13. Hmmmm, I may have to attempt another house plant!

14. #74 Bravedave, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    I grow in room built in an unheated barn. I run a 600W HPS. I live near the Canadian border. I am ADDing heat to my room 9 months a year and heat is only an issue generally around 3 weeks a year. (this year was an exception).
    Were I running Blurples at a rate consistant with producing 20zips in my 4x5.5 I would be spending MORE on electricity than I do. Qbs, I figure would be a toss up.

15. Okay so final wooooord issss?????

is it good shit??

300 true led watts in my space.. 2.5x2.5 [​IMG]

I still want 1 if you think i can fit it safely.. ill take ur word.. if i can i wanna put 1 with more of this kind of spectrum with the greens & yellows giving a super full spectrum like this..

[​IMG]

16. Thay
    thatd be 48w per sqft

17. Ur the man dawg.. ur so patient with my dumb ass, thanks bro!!

What you think of that other spectrum i posted

Know of any affordable lights that give off this spectrum??

[​IMG]

18. I’m new to growing. Imo that graph looks like a 3500-4000k spectrum. The green yellows and organges I don’t thjnk do much with indoor growing. About 45% of the suns light is useful for marijuana growing(I’m no expert)but imo less of that 45% is needed when growing indoors bc we control everything... I started out wanting to “match the suns specs”. Not needed. If u wanna grow a full cycle under one light I’d say 3500k would be ur best bet... it’ll bet a lil more stretch during veg but will still do good and flower ok also... atm I veg with 6500k cfls then flower with leds. My qb288 are 3000k. I researched for about 3-4 months. All the different leds. Sooo many conflicting results. Made my head hurt lol. I personally thing u should pick a qb that’s in ur price range and grab it! I bet within a grow or two ull be foaming at the mouth for more =]

19. LEDs won't affect the cost of your electricity Your electric supplier sets a price per kw/h and this doesn't change no matter what you use the electricity for. 600 watts is 600 watts and costs exactly the same

My electricity costs £0.13 per kw/h.
    600 watts is 0.6 Kw
    So multiply those together = £0.078 per hour.
    Multiply by 16 hours = £1.248 per day.
    Multiply by 30 days = £37.44 per month

So if your bill was £1000, change your electricity supplier asap

I think it was about £10, maybe. I bought it several years ago so not 100% sure on the price

They aren't. I have grown with many purple LEDs and they certainly have a place in the hobby without a doubt, but they are not more efficient than HPS. My LED grows never match my HPS grows when the wattage is the same

20. The numbers that manufacturers give should be taken as a rough guide, some of them should be downright ignored. The only sure way is to test it yourself