Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Benefits of quitting weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jeffersong808, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I need to quit weed to join the army, but i am a major stoner.
    What are the benefits of not smoking weed? & how can I stay sober? Thanks in advance ^__________^

2. I guess the benefits and disadvantages would be very person orientated. Some say weed helps their depression some say it makes it worse etc... I find if your smoking everyday and cut back/cut down, you do have a clearer head in general. Not like you can think your burnout but more like answers come quicker your though process is a bit a speedier and you (or i guess I) find that im not second guessing/doubting my self (in anyway) when i take a small break. Staying sober is just willpower their is no tricks or tips although i find NOT being bored helps a lot, find shit to do and occupy yourself.

3. One of my best friends used to smoke so much weed and he's going into the marines and quit he just says smoking weed isn't what I do anymore. He's now Rollin in money and has one of the hottest girls around. It does a lot for some people. Opens alot of doors for some too but just quit bro become a drinker not a smoker like everyone else. Something horrible for your body is less frowned upon than weed which is fucking sick.

4. [quote name='"jordanflight420"']One of my best friends used to smoke so much weed and he's going into the marines and quit he just says smoking weed isn't what I do anymore. He's now Rollin in money and has one of the hottest girls around. It does a lot for some people. Opens alot of doors for some too but just quit bro become a drinker not a smoker like everyone else. Something horrible for your body is less frowned upon than weed which is fucking sick.[/quote]

A lot of stoners have money and a hot girl.

5. #5 Storm Crow, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    Benefits of quiiting? If you quit smoking that annoying toker's cough goes away (if you have one). You won't get busted. You don't need to fear drug testing any more. Mommy won't nag you for smoking any more, if she believes that you have actually quit. :cool:

To keep off the grass, exercise a lot! It gets your body's endorphins flowing.

Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults (full – 2011) Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults

Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop (news – 2011)
    Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop

And just out at PubMed, there is a supplement that apparently lessens the cravings-

A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial of N-Acetylcysteine in Cannabis-Dependent Adolescents. (abst – 2012) A double-blind randomized controlled trial o... [Am J Psychiatry. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Supplement Helps Teens Kick Pot Habit (news – 2012)
    Supplement Helps Teens Kick Pot Habit=

http://www.amazon.com/N-Acetyl-Cysteine-600-100-Caps/dp/B00068GKC8

On the down side- you will lose friends. Your risk of lung cancer and Alzheimer's goes up! You are going to be grumpy as hell for a while.

You are going to miss sweet Maryjane! :(

Granny :wave:

6. Haha I was gonna say that working out, even if it's minimal, always helps me crave cannabis less. Chances are, you're going to feel less happy for a few days after quitting, but exercise combats that. While exercising, your brain releases serotonin and another chemical that make you feel happy (like a 'Runner's High').

Also, cannabis is extremely habit-forming. So let's say you always smoke in the morning, that period of time is when you will have the biggest craving. So whatever time period you're used to, find something to preoccupy yourself with so you don't think about smoking. It doesn't have to be exercise, just as long you're focused on something other than smoke weed.

Alas, I was going to say your risk of Alzheimer's and Cancer would go up, but Granny beat me to it :laughing: Just start smoking cannabis again once you're dispatched from the army :D

7. how can you be major stoner if you quit?

8. i think what it is is that working out hard kind of makes you feel chilled anyway after you do it. I used to swim a lot and thinking back the feeling of just sitting on the sofa completely burned out after a heavy session kind of was like being stoned....that being said when i play rugby marijuana is a necessity for pain relief

9. This. Since i started exercising i have nights where iliterally pass on the grass like a DARE kid and its beyond me how thats even possible because it is my most rigid, mandatory, and repetitive of daily rituals. And a lot of times ill pack some hits in my backpack and go for a 4 hour bike ride planning of course to consume it on my way back but many times it feels like a chore, unnecessary, and out of place to stop for a toke. And again i really dont know how thats possible with me. Exercise does some crazy chemistry to the brain.

10. .....

:(

11. You save money

12. Waaait, you guys are saying risk of cancer goes up if i stop weed?

13. amen to that.. im only 18, almost have my first full business up and running and the most desired girl ever ( sorry to float my own boat)... but yea, its like your saying if u quit u become rich and a ladies man -.-"

14. You'll be healthier, anyone who truly believes that weed prevents cancer/Alzheimer is stupid, inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for you

I wanted to join the army so i quit bud and trained for 10 months, in the end i changed my mind but throughout that time it was the best my body has ever felt

15. You'll be able to work 9 till 5 for the rest of your life without going "this is fucking stupid!"

• Agree Agree x 1

16. Yep.

Studies show that cannabis users are at a lower risk of developing lung and other cancers than tobacco smokers as well as people who don't smoke anything at all.

Imo the only benefit is that you will have greater expendable income. But joining the forces that will probably all go to alcohol anyway

17. I haven't smoked since New Year's Eve 2010. The only benefit I've experienced is that I was able to get my current job and not have to worry about passing randoms. I'm still the same person except I don't manage stress quite as well as I used to.

I'm sure this experience isn't true of everyone. We've all met at least one super-heavy smoker who can't think straight or get their lazy ass off the couch to do anything but order a pizza. Presumably, quitting would help those people.

As for motivation, in my experience it just has to come from within. You have to tell yourself you want something enough (in your case, joining the army) to give up a habit you enjoy and have gotten used to. If it helps, just tell yourself you won't be quitting forever. Think of it as a really long t-break

18. Well published medical studies say that it does, so maybe you're the stupid one? :rolleyes:

19. 1. improved mental clarity
    2. better cardiopulmonary health
    3. stomach discomfort
    4. mild irritability and boredome

20. #20 0226bamboozled, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    Well Terrence Mckenna and Bob Marley, both huge stoners, died of cancer so I don't think that quitting weed would increase your risk of cancer, that's just stupid.