Bellingham Judge speaks out

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by OldFart, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Full Story:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/whatcomview/story/836691.html#none

------------------------------------

Retired judge says it is time to end war on marijuana

DAVID NICHOLS - THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

A recent letter to the editor argued against reforming marijuana laws, missing the mark entirely in my opinion. After serving as a Whatcom County superior court judge for 20 years, I can assure you that the prohibition of marijuana has been a colossal failure. Arresting, prosecuting, and jailing people are an expensive and ineffective way to address a public health issue.
    We should take a lesson from recent anti-tobacco public education campaigns targeted at youth. Youth initiation rates of cigarette smoking have plummeted in recent years, both in Washington and nationwide. We did not have to arrest a single cigarette smoker to accomplish these successes.
    It is time we take a hard look at the irrefutable fact that marijuana prohibition is causing more harm than good. I think we can do better. That is why I support Senate Bill 5615, which has been introduced in the Washington state Legislature. This bill would make adult possession of small amounts of marijuana a civil infraction instead of a misdemeanor crime. The state estimates that the bill would save Washington taxpayers over $16 million each year, and the experience of the 12 other states who have already taken this step demonstrates no negative impact to their communities.

2. Unfortuantely the bill is dead...and we either wait till next year or start a voter initiative now

3. I have been looking into the initiative process. Anyone else interested in participating?

4. how would one do so?