Beginners grow looking for advice

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by passthatshiiiit, Jul 5, 2008.

1. This is my first grow and I have a a fairly large closet that I'm going to use. The closet is 4.5' deep 3' wide and height of 3.5' till the first shelf. This is mainly a personal grow I'm not looking to sell just be self sufficent. I was planning a box 2' x 2' x 4' for a scrog grow. With this area I think I can get at least 4 healthy plants. The light will be a 250w hps and I'm going to make a rubbermaid bubbler. One cool idea I thought of was to put a shelf on rollers and be able to pull the whole set up out so its easier for maintenance. I've done a fair amount of research but reading doesn't always have all the answers so any advice would be appreciated.

K

2. sounds like all you need to do is find a cab and get started!

i advise you try a soil grow on however many seeds you want to use to find mothers for, and then pull clones and put those into your 2x2x4 scrog box.

i say this because it's a great way to get a grow under your belt first that won't totaly waste your time towards yeilding in your new cab - you can use it to do the soil grow! :) just take a month or so, make a mom, and clone her into your bubble box.

oh yea. also when cloning females you always get females. so you won't have to guess with seed planting every time to find 4 female plants to flower.

you'll learn alot in the process of soil growing - it should pay off in the end.

as far as your design here goes it sounds like you have a clear idea. it's pretty standard .. i take it you're planning to grow from seed every time which can sometimes be difficult if they age differantly as you plant them - might mess up the idea with ScrOG. another advangate to cloning is they are all the same age.

if you end up changing nothing and going with what you planned you'll still need to look into exhausting heat and filtering air as well as light proofing it for the dark periods. any of these things can turn out good results so it's up to you. :)

that's all i got to offer. cheers

3. Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling that a mom box would be easier and just clone them. I'm planning on the standard computer fan exhaust with carbon filter and small baffles painted black for light proofing. Another idea I have is to build a glass box around the light and leave room for two holes on the top of the box and vent the lamp by itself separate from the grow box. Good stuff.
    Cheers

4. seperating the heat from the lamp and your plants is crucial for small cab grows. can't have temps getting out of hand. i like that idea of sectioning off the light in some type of housing.

there are some great homemade carbon filters out there. my personal favorite is taking some type of micro-fiber cloth and sewing bags together out of them and filling it with carbon. then either stuff your exhaust hole .. haha .. hah .. sorry. or duct tape them over the end of the hole to cover it with the filter.

you've got things in order. next step is buying up some materials and such and getting started. i'll check back. :smoke: