Beginner question about ventilation

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mindrevolution, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Hi All. Thinking about starting an indoor grow in a 41x16x25 box. I'm planning on growing just one plant Northern Lights plant with CFL lighting. I've been doing research but cant find any direct answers.

What type of fans will I need for ventilation and where will I make the holes for exhaust and air intake? I'm confused. The lid to the box will be closed at all times other than maintenence . Any good info is appreciated!

*Here's a pic of the box so you have an idea.

Yfrog - 1000679xn - Uploaded by mindrevolution

2. I like PC fans. Especially in a CFL grow.

I like to drill one or two 2-3" holes on the bottom of the either side of the box. Maybe 2-3" above the bottom of the cabinet. I find that air drawn in from the bottom tends to be a little cooler.

Then, drill one or 2 2-3" holes on the opposite side of the box near the top. Maybe 2-3" down from the top. This is where you will install the PC fan or an inline fan if you use a carbon filter.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

3. Thanks for answering. Do the computer fans go on the inside of the box or on the outside?

4. I put them inside, but either way should be fine.

Good luck.

5. Well bro, you asked for my help so heres what id do with that box of yours. CFL's can be good and in your case your definately gonna want some tube lights. Otherwise your gonna have to hang a whole bunch of single bulbs and thats gonna be hard. The major problem with your grow is that the lid is the access point. This means everytime you open the box the lights will have to somehow be moved in order for you to access your plant(s). Best way i see around this is to remove the hinge and mount your light to the lid so when you take it off, the light is attached. Youll probably have to add some kind of lip though to hold the lid in place when its closed. Anyways as far as an actual light goes, id recommend something similiar to this Sunleaves 2' VitaLUME PLUS T5 Tubes - 4 pk - Fluorescent Bulbs & Tubes - Worm's Way -. It will mount easily to the lid, wont be to heavy to remove, and is gonna give you the most light spread out over the greatest area. THe problem with smaller bulbs in your grow is that you wont get complete coverage over the grow space. Id really recommend some mylar in your case to make sure youre getting the maximum out of your CFLs(they really dont work that great imo). For venting youd be fine with a computer fan. Just mount it to one of the sides of the box(at the top) and then cut another hole on the opposite side at the bottom. As the pc fan blows air out one side new air will be sucked in through the other side. Shouldnt be too hard to put together really. and you could probably put 3-4 plants in there. Hope i was able to answer some of your questions... if you need anything else or have anymore questions let me know... Always glad to help out and good luck with your endeavors.