Beginner Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by siomac, Sep 8, 2007.

1. I've started growing a strong strain of skunk called Haze, and i suppose it's going alright, although I'm actually quite clueless about the whole growing malarkey, so it would be good for some feedback about my plants, and hopefully some advice on how to better my growing. There's 4 of them growing under low - medium light, (soon to be higher once i order new lamps) and they're watered every 3-4 days, and every other week with miracle gro. They've been growing for about 2 1/2 months, and I've been a mite concerned about the growth rate, which is very slow it seems. One or two of the plants are causing concern to me, but it's nothing major. Thanks. (And sorry if I insult anyone with my extremely amateuristic growing):confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one is the one I'm having trouble with. A bit of curling and browning on some of the leaves, and some lower stalks have fallen off completely!

2. They look pretty healthy even tho they look pretty stretched.What type of lighting are you using.Good luck with it.They look nice tho.

3. yeah they are a bit tall and stretched looking, but you have supports so its not an issue, other then that the color is nice and healthy, they look like its about time to send them into flowering.

4. You'd do better with more light, and larger pots. Otherwise they're not too bad for the conditions.

5. put a fan on them. give more light, but only 12 hours a day. if your feeling lucky, you may wanna clip them.

6. more light, larger pots, got it, thanks. Is there any specific soil i should be using? And would halogen bulbs be good enough? And...(sorry for all the questions) what does clipping mean, and how do i go about "sending them into flowering? C h e e r s

7. Halogen,Def. not,What is the type you now use?

8. im using a flourescent lamp thats pretty strong for floures. but its nought comapred to halogen, gonna switch it when i get halogen, and should be in the next few days.

9. Halogen wont work! What spectrum and watt bulb are you using now?

10. I concure, halogen won't work and will fry them. Stick with the CFL's.

11. i've got an 11W lamp at the moment, and i don't think it's healthy for the plants, and don't know what the spectrum is. Think I'll go to the shops and look for a few cfl's and rig myself a little lighting system.

12. You have four plants growing under a single 11w light? You need WAY more light than that. Use higher wattage bulbs and more of 'em.

You need to do a lot of reading to educate yourself. Try the sticky posts at the top of this Beginners forum and the Indoor Growing forum, all the basics are covered in those stickies. Check the links in my sig as well.

13. Thanks, sorted now! Any more help would be gratefully received.

14. Try a 42 watt. CFL for each 5500-6300K. Many seem happy with them.

15. OK, one has shown it's sex....female! yahooo! And I've clipped 3 out of the four, and surrounded them with cfl's. They seem to be growing a lot quicker now. Thanks all who've helped!
    [​IMG]
    (my girl!)

16. Its not that incandescant lights WONT work,just that they are about the worst choice.They have a poor lumen to watt. convertion and produce extreem heat,expensive to run also. I guess if you lived in Alaska,had free power and had a surpluss of them it would work but not very well and you would be changing the bulbs often. Not sure what their light spectrum even is....