before the chop should you...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by 69erikm, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I'm sorry, these observations are from my personal grows.
    I have put plants in the dark before choping for 24, 48 and 60 hours in complete darkness.
    All of the plants compared were cloned from the same mother. Sour diesel
    Other plants were harvested just at lights on (normal for me)
    Plants were trimmed, then hung and dryed in the dark.
    Placed into jars........burped ........
    About three weeks later we compared four nugs, one from each, in the sunlight, with a toke of each........
    No one could tell any one from the other...........
    Your expereince may differ, but I dont see it...............
    peace B

2. #22 GrapeStreet, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  3. your growing a plant indoors and recreating a outdoor habbit indoors for it to grow ideally, outside its not dark for 48hrs so why do it iniside?

4. Not all techniques are inline with natural occurence. In fact, no grower adheres to the circadian rhythm (to my knowledge).

The idea is to imitate, not mimic. 10 billion years of field testing is great, but nature does a job "as good as is necessary" while we can enhance those same methods to create "better than ever."

Understanding the "rules" of the plant can allow us to find loopholes or give us the ability to stretch the standards, enhancing the overall potential of certain key aspects of our particular strain of plant.

5. :wave:

Well said Grape
    :D

6. Shouldn't you turn the lights back on 12 hours for a couple of days so the plant can mount it's defence?

7. the thought here is that because the plant naturally flowers as the days get shorter that the plant will put in a last ditch effort to produce as many trichomes as possible when the light period is switched shorter than 12 hours at the end of flowering. this is supposed to simulate the very end of the grow season.

i dont ever put my girls into 48 hours of darkness, as plants CAN NOT grow unless they are able to perform photosynthesis. (this is the bottom line, sunlight=adenosinetriphosphate=growth, its called respiration)

what i do is i switch to about 10 hours of light for the last maybe 5 days. it may not make a difference, but it seems to make a lot more sense than leaving it in the dark, and my girls always come out realllll frosty.

8. I agree but I think it would help to lower it evan more untill 3 or 4 hours of light. As far as plants not growing with out light is sort of true. They can't produse green collor, but can do other things for up to two weeks I'e seen it . The inner part of the leafs close to the buds grow out yellow. So there may be some good stuff comming out of the total darkness period - still think if you do a dark period you should put the lights back on 12/12 for a couple of days so the plant can't tr and save it's self in put out more goodness1

9. Wow....statistically, at the moment, the community is SPLIT EVEN (50/50) on this. That makes my inner-geek smile. With 63 people, that's cool man. :cool:

Damn I'm a geek.

My Durbans are still in darkness. They still suck. It's like trying to bake with muddy water, no matter how much you try to dress it up, your ingredients just sucked to start with, and your end product will suck as well.

So disappointed in this pheno.... Shame. :(

10. Really interested would like to see some sort of correlation positive or negative develop, 50/50 split is boo.

Interesting to note photosynthesis is not the "aerobic respiration" that keeps the plant alive, merely a mechanism the plant uses to produce a simple sugar out of air that fuels the respiration that produces ATP. Many plants continue to respirate at night, and I'm actually not sure about marijuana and weeds, but CAM cycles on the cactus are an example where growth actually occours at night.

Would the plant under extended darkness theirfore use up both its remaining sugar supply AND desperately try to produce flowers as it comes to its near end? Would it compound the effect lol

11. "Interesting to note photosynthesis is not the "aerobic respiration" that keeps the plant alive, merely a mechanism the plant uses to produce a simple sugar out of air that fuels the respiration that produces ATP. Many plants continue to respirate at night, and I'm actually not sure about marijuana and weeds, but CAM cycles on the cactus are an example where growth actually occours at night"
    cannabis is not a cactus

"One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light."
    -Ed Rosenthal

"C3 plants shut their stomata to reduce water loss, but this stops CO2 from entering the leaves and, therefore, reduces the concentration of CO2 in the leaves"
    -wikipedia

"When the CO2 concentration in the chloroplasts drops below about 50 ppm, the catalyst rubisco that helps to fix carbon begins to fix oxygen instead. This is highly wasteful of the energy that has been collected from the light, and causes the rubisco to operate at perhaps a quarter of its maximal rate."
    -http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/biology/phoc.html

this is basically my point. as a c3 plant, cannabis shuts its stomata at night, and therefore cannot operate as effiiciently.

12. All very true. Though I don't trust much of what Ed Rosenthal says, dude's a capitalist now, in bed with some BAD growers.

Still, the C3 bit is correct, even though the Calvin cycle is often called the "Dark Reaction" it actually occurs during photosynthesis. However, all of these are in reference to cellular reproduction of the plant, and ultimately production of fruit and foliage.

But we're not after either. The fruit is our goal, but only because of the high concentration of Trichs. The smaller the calyx, the denser the trichs (== pheno).

Now, I've yet to find a document that supports or contrasts the production of light sensitive and possibly light responsive protective oil glands within trichomes. I'd love to see some data on this either way. But so far, no luck. Everything is in relation to standard metabolic reactions responsible for fruictification and vegetative growth.

13. i am in favor of a 48hour dark period now :)

thanks everybody:D

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:
    :wave:

14. If light degrades the quality of cannabis immediately after the harvest and from there on out I could see the 48 hours of light not only degrading the quality but stressing the plant. Reason being to revert to veg you switch to 24/0, for a continuos 48 hours that late in development i could see it not on degrading THC quality but completely halting plant growth. So you wont neccesarly end up with a lower harvest it will just be of lower THC content. I would just go with darkness cause i cant see any negitive way it would effect the plant. But i could be wrong.

15. No
    The dark period is before harvest not after so light is not a problem unless you have leaks

16. you misread the question

17. I know when the dark period is, my point is your right at harvest so the extra light could stress the plant and keep it where it is in devolopment, and you could have just choped and youd be in the same spot.

18. explain?

19. Most people do a good job of handling light leaks
    I seen the plant before the dark period of 48 hours
    Afterwards the resin looks like it has increased
    Even if its by, lets say 2%, I feel like it is worth it