Become glass blower?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by GGeorgeOfficial, Jun 14, 2012.

1. So I just got the text that everyone's hours are getting cut back... Mine to sat and Sunday since I've only been there three weeks. I've lived in south orange county for less than a month, sold my car and now it's like fuck.... It's just me, my dog and some cash.
    My thing is, does anyone know a place that might take an apprentice at a glass blowing place, I'm a crazy hard worker and live art- I don't even need to get paid I could just sleep in a cot with my dog next to me, wake up and work, learn to blow glass and once I got the hang of it maybe start getting a little but of money. This sounds like a dream but it's my dream and why not. Any help? Haha long shottttt

2. It costs thousands for that equipment, wouldnt really consider it if my hours were getting cut back and was short on money

3. Agreed, most people will start it out as a hobby with alternative income and slowly move to a career once they get better at it. As far as apprenticeships go, that one will have to be left up to you. Contact blowers and see if they are taking on an apprentice. I will advise though that most blowers won't want to teach you the basics of the medium, so go take a few classes before you just try jumping into the game. Good luck!

4. That'd be awesome. Make your own bongs

5. I have the same dream. I also have some what of a business plan surrounding the dream also.

6. lol..i used to sleep on a cot in the office. good times..yeah..its expensive. my torch was 1050 alone. kiln was 950. plus oxygen tanks, graphite tools, raw glass..

its fun as fuck though...im soo glad i never spent a fucking penny on college. it will be tough trying to find a shop who wants to take an apprentice..but try. If your in Orange County..im pretty sure that i remember HOPS just moved to Orange county..thats a start.

7. It's a extremely expensive, even as a hobby and small equipment and it takes a lot more money to learn.

It's really easier said then done.

8. Your young.. naive.. You really think it would be a dream to work all day for no pay, and sleep on a cot every night? Hello?! :wave:

9. #9 ToKKin, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
    salem community college in nj is the only place where you can get a degree in it (scientific glass blowing). with a degree so hard to come by in this particular field of glass blowing it shouldnt be hard to get a job in the field. im going there for it next year after i finish up all my bullshit classes (math, english, etc.) i live right outside philly though and the glass industry is booming there. idk how it is where you are but i would only go for it if there are multiple glass companies near where you are living.

*edit*
    you should also have a well thought out back up plan like me in case it doesnt work out

10. Great advice...:rolleyes:

if your serious about making money. you would be able to make a simple inside out pipe withing 2 months if your doing it everyday..its more than possible to make 20 pipes a day. at say 10-15 dollars a peice. thats atleast 200 a day if you arent fucking around..ive seen it done. work 4 days a week on pipes....have some cash...and thats really doing work..you can even take it a bit easier and still be able to start saving cash to get a cheap place...hell youll be at the shop all damn day anyway..

11. you're in cali, so just find another job and save up your cash to take classes at the Revere school of glassblowing.

only school in the world where they will specifically teach you how to make bongs/pipes/oilers/domes, etc

RGS - Revere Glass School