Bearded dragon.

Discussion in 'General' started by gallimaufry0, Jan 30, 2010.

1. I went and looked around today and set my mind on one.

I went to a reptile store and a regular pet store.
    They pet shop had them for $40, the reptile store had them for $99.

I'd rather get the cheaper one of course but do you think it would be safer to get the hundred dollar beardie because they might be healthier or something, unless it's all in my head.

Opinions please and tips on caring for babies/adults, stories about your bearded dragons also!
    :cool:

2. When you buy from a pet store your getting a reptile that was captured in the wild meaning that it can have illnesses etc. but if you know how to look for the illnesses then you will be fine just pic the healthiest one. Reptile stores sell captive bred reptiles so there much healthier in a sense. So it's all up to you, good luck with your new beardie :hello:

3. ^ lol hes trippin ..
    pet stores get them from breeders lol
    they dont send ppl across the world to catch them ..
    they are only found in australlia

i have 2 dragons ..
    buy them from a reliable breeder ..

bloodbankdragons.com

thats just naming one of hundreds

goodluck

4. also try to find out the bloodlines before you make your purchase

5. Nah I'm not trippin :p they import them from the wild meaning there not in the best condition. For example pet co, they've told me plenty of times where they get there reptiles from.

6. like i said

your trippin

7. Haha, you may not have been lieing and still be trippin'. :p

So I might just go with the pet shop - they have a nice number of reptiles so I'm hoping it'll be all goood.
    I'm going to post pictures when I get it. The hand wave they do is so awesome!

Thanks for the replies.

Now.. I have to think of a name.
    :rolleyes:

8. I got one myself. Its an awesome pet. I got mine from a reptile store, but i think that getting it from a pet shop will be fine. do loads of research before you get it though. dont use sand when its still a baby cuz it could fuck up its insides when he eats the crickets. I did, my beardie is fine, but i have heard horror stories. guess im one of the lucky ones. Enjoy your beardie. I named mine Zeus.

9. Yeah, I read up about not putting babies in sand.
    The pet shop had them in sand! I was like :eek:. But apparently they're fine.. So they say.

The reptile store had them in what looked like sand. I asked about it and they said it was almond or walnut's grinded up so they can digest it. Why didn't I think of that :)

I haven't seen one bite, but do they ever bite? And if they did would it hurt.
    I'm a wimp :eek:

10. They can bite, and some do bite. Depends on how much you handle them, just like with any other animal. My bearded (just died the other day) was always friendly from the time I got him till he died.

They're cool animals, but as with anything, know what you're getting into before you get into it. They need large enclosures (although they aren't too active) because they get pretty big. Need to know what to use in the design of their enclosure and what to feed them.

Check out this website: Beautiful Dragons It has tons of GOOD information on the animals, where as the the majority of care sheets out there have bad/false information in them.

Do your research and use it to make the right choices. Enjoy dude.

11. i did get bit once. But i was holding a piece of tomato on my finger and he accidentily chomped on my finger. It dosnt hurt at all. they got really tiny teeth. it felt kinda funky. and there saliva is weird too. its like slimy and stringy. but other than that, he has not ever biten me.

And also one time when i was feeding him and he was in hunting mode. i was teasing him with my finger. he kept going at it, but never got it. you've got nothing to worry about. just do loads of research please. dont just think you can just throw it in a glass cage, puts some lights on it and thats it.

its an animal that lives in your house. you need to take care of it.

i say this just because i've seen/heard of beardies dieing just because of neglect.

12. #12 Diceman, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
    Pet stores are ran by regular people who know a little about all the animals...a reptile store has people who specialize in reptiles taking care of the animals...

You get what you pay for. Also that reptile store probably uses the same reputable breeders each year instead of taking in babies from random breeders looking to sell cheap like the little pet stores do.

I've never gotten one of my snakes from a pet store and never will.

The bites don't hurt. Mine only bit me once and it was when he was eating crickets and I was sticken my hand in. (bought my beardie from a trusted online breeder for $160) couldn't have been happier.

13. Go to each of the stores, and ask them why the other store is cheaper/more expensive. The reptile store might lie to you, but they might also give you a good reason or a price cut.