Bear Grylls?

Discussion in 'General' started by smokeytheburr, Feb 10, 2009.

1. His show is nice. Entertaining while still somewhat educational.

2. Haha. This guy is complaining about the camera shots. Survivorman's Les Stroud is more badass than Bear Grylls. But don't get me wrong, Man vs. Wild is a good show to learn stuff from. But I prefer Survivorman. Heres a video of Man vs Wild's Bear Grylls being exposed that he's a "fake": [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXtBTWk4Atw"]YouTube - Man vs. Wild Fraud[/ame]

^ He's by a highway. Hahaha.

3. People keep saying that Bear Grylls Know's his stuff.

The fact of the matter is he does things for the camera, that if copied by someone who was unfortunate enough to get caught in a similar situation would be harmed. I'll give just a few examples.

1.) In the PILOT show, Bear is confronted by(Ironically enough) a bear. During this episode he gives some of the worst advice you can get.
    A) He is shown eating and cooking in his camp. Something that should never be done. You should always eat a few hundred yards away in order to prevent a scent trail from leading a bear to you.
    B) In the middle of the night, Bear THINKS there might be a bear in his camp. So he quickly gets up, and runs away. Running is baddddd, the bear will catch you, and you will get mauled.
    C) While being 'pursued' in the middle of the night, bear decides it's a good idea to break his scent trail by jumping off a 70 foot cliff into water of unknown depth.. Seriously.

2.) In an episode of Man Vs. Wild, Bear is seen 'taming' a wild horse. This horse turned out to be an ex-ranch horse that was extremely comfortable with humans around. If Joe-Schmo were to walk up to a wild horse in real life, the situation could potentially have catastrophic results.

3.) My last example is this. In a more recent episode of MvW, Bear is shown drinking his own urine. That is the most idiotic thing I have EVER seen. Regardless of how much water is in urine, it is not safe to drink at all. The salt that makes up most of the urine will dehydrate your cells, hurt your kidneys and make you feel like shit.

Those are just THREE examples of the things Bear does for show. What he does for the camera could potentially cause someone their life.

So yeah, in my opinion, Surviorman is better than Man Vs. Wild.

4. bear grylls is the fucking man. no doubt man vs wild is better than survivor man

5. I can't watch a show that is so incredibly fake but attempts to pass itself off as authentic..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyKyWaNEQ"]YouTube - Man vs. Hotel: Bear Grylled[/ame]

Ugh, he's horrible..

6. #26 Irish Coffee, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    i agree with this dirty old pimp...both the shows are educational and informational and they both have there flaws. bear is kinda fake and what not like you all have said, but i finbd survivorman just kind of boring since hes all alone just chilling most of the time.

edit: it really does dissapoint me to see how much of a fake bear is, but i still enjoy his show =)

7. Yeah, that's why he's lame. Might want to word that better next time....

8. hes the new chuck.

bear IS a badass.

9. Thats actually funny as hell you said that because my girlfriend told me a chuck norris joke last night using bear's name instead. I rolled it was funny as shit.

10. Bear Grylls can kill two stones with one bird. Haha he may be the new chuck. I think he has an interesting show even if it isn't as real as we would all like it to be.

11. I like both programmes but both have their flaws

Survivorman is boring - you wont see him bite the head off a snake and eat it raw

Grylls is to an extent faked but it's miles more interesting to watch and he teaches more methids of survival than Les

also to everyone saying how hardcore Les is - bollocks - I watched one the other night where he couldn't light a fire the "traditional" way so he pulls out a lighter and he always has loads of kit with him!

plus you'll never ever see Les hold up elephant shit and squeeze shitty water out of it into his mouth - that was a different episode to the camel rumen one by the way

oh yeah, and to the dude saying dont drink your urine - in a survival situation it is better to drink it as a last resort than not

12. for sure dude, I learn stuff from that show. Bear Grylls is a pussy.

although his recent show has inspired me and my friends to make a raft out of sticks and a parachute and stash it at our chill spot for future use :D :smoking:

13. #33 iceman35, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    survivor man is 10 times better than this show.

sometimes i think he just makes up stuff, he just walks along and see this freakin plant and just sweezes the juices out of a few leaves and says like something how its good to get water from.

oh lets not forget he sleeps in hotels and has a camera crew.
    also heard he had to make like a raft to get off an island and his crew put it all around the forest and he just walked the route and picked everything up and assembled it.

survivor man is alone.

14. Good point about Survival Man Les Stroud . I dig him to . He's a good guitar and harmonica musician as well .

Bear Grylls is cool to in a different way , the are both good dudes I think .

Me , I live in the southern end of the Great Mojave Desert . I learned a lot on how to survive stuff like them from my father .

< http://bovitz.com/photo/traditional/jpgphotos/2007/January/MojaveDesertRainClouds.jpg >

Alpine mountains surround my desert and I learned how to have fun as well as survive .

< http://www.woodet.com/StoneCreek05_640.jpg >

Traveled extensively in central Mx

< http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/17/88/59/central-mexico-and-gulf.jpg >

and into Guatemala too , talk about jungles with stuff and animals that can kill ya ! !

< http://www.rogerstours.com/photos/Tours Guatemala.jpg >

Dangerous places are all over , try the ghetto in a big time metropolis .

For me , I'll take the mountains , deserts of my area or jungles of Hawaii any day compared to a ghetto !

Aloha

Local Boy

15. If I had to pick one to help me survive I would definitely pick Les (unless Bear came with his crew). If I had to pick a show to watch I would definitely pick Man vs. Wild. I know its fake as shit but some of the shit he does is so fucking off the wall and extreme I have to see it go down.

16. "I've never been in the SAS. I don't have an English accent either. But I've hiked and backpacked hundreds (maybe thousands now) of miles into the wilderness. I studied waterborne survival at the military academy I attend and consider myself to be an avid survivalist and outdoorsman.

These guys (Bear and that other guy) are both fucking morons. Some of the things they say to do are plain dangerous. Its all for show-- for TV. Its all entertainment.

I can tell you that the number one thing that will help you in a survival situation is tools. Having some simple tools with you at all times can increase your chances of survival tenfold. Our bodies aren't primal anymore. We are not designed to be able to dig holes with our claws (nails), nor can we stand up against many predators in the wild without at least a spear or club. A few things I ALWAYS have on me are:

A large folding knife, half serrated and kept sharp
    Three sources of fire: Bic, Zippo, and a small ferroserium rod on my keychain
    Cell phone to call emergency services
    Spare optics (I am legally blind with nearsightedness and carry spare contact lenses with me)
    Watch

There are more things I have that I usually carry (really bright Petzl headlamp, for one), but I also have a BOB (Bug Out Bag) that has 72 hours of food and water, and tools for me to live. I have everything from a sharpening stone to a bandanna to a folding shovel in it. It weighs about 20 pounds, but has everything I could need (including shelter in the form of a poncho).

The point I'm trying to make is that wilderness survival is NOT about trying to live off the land sucking juice out of camel shit for a week while you follow some dinky little creek off a cliff. Just like in triage for first aid, when you get lost in the wilderness your far better off staying where you are for a period of time. Figure out your priorities (food, water, shelter, fire, signals) These shows make it seem like nature is something that should be feared since there are no wifi hotspots or starbucks.

Just needed to vent. Those guys are phony television personalities and I'm sick of hearing people idolize their 'survival skills'.

If your interested in learning more REAL survival, check out the US Army's field manual for survival. Google search 'FM 21-76. Its packed with great information and is way more interesting then watching some nitwit run down cliffs for a half hour (then go back to his hotel after filming)"

17. fuck him hes fake. Survivor man is the shit.
    fuckin bear grills? what the fuck kind of name is that. and it is fake. i saw something online might have been wikipedia, they dont even go to where they say it is. suposedly he was at some mountain, but they show you the exact same spot and its like 500 feet away from a main road. they show the cars driving by in the background.
    anyway. as i said survivor man is the shit. he does it all him self and actually IS alone in some shitty place.

18. Aren't TV shows suppose to entertain you?

So if he "fakes" all the things he does, your entertained, because the whole point of TV is really to entertain you, not to be real, but to entertain..

And if you don't find it entertaining, than don't watch it..

but that's just my opinion.

Bear Grylls is great, i love watching Man vs. Wild

19. Dude thats awesome it sounds like you know your shit. I actually thought this was a good post even though it was slightly bashing my shit but w/e.
    The only thing i wonder is where do you put all that shit that you have. In your car or something?

20. Everything that Bear "builds" while out in the wild is really assembled by his crew. Did he really make a raft? No. Did he really build his own rope ladder? No. Did he really build his own elevated bed? No.

Bear does the exact opposite of right when it comes to survival. He is running around wild, jumping into dangerous lakes, climbing dangerous tree and rocks. Les Stroud does the smart thing, takes it easy, conserves energy etc. Bear shows you what you can when your out in the wild with first aid, food, and water and can afford to fuck around.

All you need to know is one thing. At the end of Man vs. Wild the credits go something like this....
    Host.....Bear Grylls
    Survival Expert.....(some other guy)

Bear can climb things and parachute, not survive by himself in the wild.