BC Northern Lights Producer Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by waygreen, May 24, 2009.

1. #1 waygreen, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
    I recently purchased a Producer from BC Northern Lights and have everything setup and running, however I have a few specific questions I can't seem to get answers too. I was hoping one of you grow gurus could point me in the right direction. I'm new to this so please bare with me.

1. When I fill the tub with water, how much should I use. 36 Liters is what I have been using which brings the water level about an inch under the baskets. And should I add water as it evaporates to keep it at a consistent level.

2. I have noticed that the bottom of the rockwool cubes are always wet from the bubbling water underneath. Does this mean my water level is too high? Should the bottoms of the cubes stay wet at all times? I have been hand watering the tops of the cubes when they are dry to the touch.

3. Is it correct that the roots will be sitting in water at all times, other then when the water is changed? Is it a problem if they are sitting on the air stones?

4. Is it necessary to adjust the PH of the tub water or only when the water is changed?

I realize its a lot of questions, but would really appreciate some detailed answers when possible. Thanks, you guys are great.

2. I know this is a late response, but...

1. 36 liters or 9 gallons is perfect. Whenever I ph balance, which I do about twice a day, I add about a cup of water with my ph solution. This accounts for some of the evaporation. The important thing is to make sure the ppm (parts per million) of your water remains stable. The water will evaporate at a faster rate than your nutes, so as that happens, your nute level in your res increases. If you purchase a TDS/PPM meter, you will be able to tell exactly what level of nutes remains in your res to prevent any spikes. I purchased one of these meters on ebay for $17 including shipping.

2. This sounds fine. Its OK for your rockwool to stay wet. Use the top drippers once a day in the beginning to cover your top feeding.

3. Yes, the roots will be completely submerged in water at all times eventually. That's why you have airstones in your tank, so the roots remain oxegenated and don't drown. Its ok if they touch the airstones.

4. Yes, but it is also important to adjust your ph regularly. Always keep it in the 5.6 - 6.2 range.

Good luck. Feel free to follow my BCNL Producer grow journal over at rollitup by clicking here.