Basic start up questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gersberms, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Recently due to hard times medically and economically I came into smoking marijuana daily, and went about to the conclusion that growing for myself would be more socially responsible. I purchased some beginner seends, two bubbleicious and two northern lights autoflowering from Nirvana seeds but I'm still concerned about a few things.
    First of which is should I buy a hydroponic grow system, and try my hand at that, or should I just try the regular soil mythod?
    I dont care as much about yeild, just quallity of the plants; whatever is best for those types would be fine by me.
    Also would it be worth it to buy a grow tent for ether method, or is that just an unneccesary expense? Finally for auto-flowering plants past germination, should I just do a 12/12 lightcycle, or does it really not matter? If not what would be the most optimum light cycle for these kinds of plants?
    I realize that the internet is a thing, and someone is bound to say research it yourself, but this fourm seems like it has a lot of experts, and I really just need a clear instruction or list to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. never grew autos but for light schedule I dont think it matters much, they flower when they are ready to. For a first time grow I would suggest some good soil nutes, digital PH meter, some calibration solution, some PH Up & Down solutions. As for for a tent some use that because they dont have a room that they can use and keep totaly dark when the lights are off. Indoors the ideal grow temp is aorund 77 degrees. Then theres lights and several choices to go with from CFL`s, T5 grow lights, LED and HID lighting.

3. Thanks for the help! Im a lot more at ease now; it seems like autoflowering are pretty forgiving anyway (thats why I chose them for the first grow, after that im growing out my Super Lemon Haze seeds :D)

4. #4 Doc-J, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    I would recommended running soil for a few grows first. Yes, you can start with hydro but the learning curve will be larger. If you have decent experience with horticulture in general then you have a bit more of a head start.

I would recommended a tent, hid lighting, and good vent and filter regardless of hydro or soil.

Autos mean you never have to change to 12/12. They will flower under what would normally be a vegatative light cycle. The ruderallis genes make it flower based on age rather than the change of photoperiod length. Auto breeders may recommended anywhere from an 18/6 to a 24/0 light cycle. This can be mainted for the entire duration of the plants life cycle.

5. Hey I'm thinking about growing my own shit, so I don't have to buy it or worry about local dealers being 'dry'. Well a friend of mine said if you grow indoors it reeks hella bad. Is there any way to compact the smell to the grow area?

6. There are various products that you can use indoors to mask or remove the smell. Ona helps cover it up or use a carbon scrubber like a Phresh brand with a high velocity fan in an enclosed grow room or tent.

7. /rep joker. i agree

8. it doesnt reek hellov bad. Just get a fresh air with fans and plant lots of mints around your house. Get a few dogs, preferably ones that can tear limbs off intruder. you're golden

9. Really no difference between Autos and non Autos. People think there are though. It still requires everything that a non auto does. The only "easy thing" is you dont have to fool with the lights.

10. I was going to do a normal soil grow, but someone purchased me a hyrdoponic grow kit as a gift. I looked it up and it contained the items listed below. I just wanted to know how I would go about setting this up and what not. Thansk again!

400 Watt HPS Grow Light With Reflector
    Pro High Pressure Sodium Grow Bulb
    25' Roll Of Reflective Mylar
    2 Yo Yo Retractable Hangers
    Digital Tempature Gauge & Hygrometer
    PH Test Kit With PH Up and PH Down
    Heavy Duty Timer
    2 oz Free Sample of Overdrive Bloom
    3 Months of Grow and Bloom Nutrients
    Complete Hydroponic Set up Including:
    4 Plant - 5 Gallon Grow Box 17" X 13" X 10"
    12" Long Bubble Air Stone
    10 Gallon Air Pump
    Rockwool cubes, Hydroton Pebbles
    Hydroponic Ebook and Grow Sources

11. I've done zero with hydro grows, but it coming with some nutrients is pretty sweet, and literature.

Reason for posting though, those yo yo hangers are fucking garbage. It's not a huge problem since a few bucks at most any store can get you better hardware but for the heat and electricity running thru our bulbs, why the companies think the yo yo hangers is safe I have no idea.

12. Is there a type of hanger you would recommend as replacement?
    Or should I just ask at the hardware store?

13. I had some cable in the garage I used. Being adjustable wasn't a concern of mine since I can just simply put the plastic cups and even the 1 gal pots on a table instead of lowering the light, when they make it to the 5gal they go on the floor instead of raising the light.

Being in a hydro system and needing to move light instead of plants I'd probably just get some chain and some sort of hook or caribeaner (I'm sure I butchered that spelling). Doesn't have to be industrial strength logging chain, just enough to have faith in.

14. I was going to suggest hydro right off the bat.. I started with soil and I really wish I never would have wasted my time. If you want a good way to get seeds started check out the first page of my journal in my signature.

I think hydro is a lot easier then soil but your environmental conditions need to be in check.. Temps need to be around 75-80F and RH needs to be around 40-55%. I don't know what hydro system you got so I'll have to tell you when you get It. If temps get higher then 84-85F your more then likely going to have big issues with reservoir temperatures and thats what people have trouble with. If you can keep your res temps below 70 and tent temps below 80F you shouldn't have any problems.

Keep your pH between 5.5-6.1 preferably 5.8 right in the middle. I was going to suggest hydro right off the bat.. I started with soil and I really wish I never would have wasted my time. If you want a good way to get seeds started check out the first page of my journal in my signature.

I think hydro is a lot easier then soil but your environmental conditions need to be in check.. Temps need to be around 75-80F and RH needs to be around 40-55%. I don't know what hydro system you got so I'll have to tell you when you get It. If temps get higher then 84-85F your more then likely going to have big issues with reservoir temperatures and thats what people have trouble with. If you can keep your res temps below 70 and tent temps below 80F you shouldn't have any problems.

Keep your pH between 5.5-6.1 preferably 5.8 right in the middle. I was going to suggest hydro right off the bat.. I started with soil and I really wish I never would have wasted my time. If you want a good way to get seeds started check out the first page of my journal in my signature.

Keep your pH between 5.5-6.1 preferably 5.8 right in the middle. I'm assuming you get a ballast with your grow light but your description didn't really say ballast specifically so I'm making sure you got one? Check out the yoyos when you get them, mine work great and I love the ability to adjust them by pulling the rope. I know lots are garbage though.

15. #15 Gersberms, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies, when the kit arrives im going to take pictures of all the contents and what not, so people can better idea of what things look like;
    @teSmp I dont believe it comes with a ballast.

EDIT: Just saw this on the website, it comes with the package, tell me what you think.
    LIGHTING BALLAST AND HOUSING:

Dimensions: 9" long x 4" wide x 5.5" tall

The grow light ballast is a brand new REMOTE 400 watt HPS ballast, with an innovative design that separates the ballast core away from the capacitor and ignitor components to provide high performance and long life. This grow light ballast is made to our specifications with high output lighting results for horticulture / hydroponics / indoor gardening use. The High Pressure Sodium grow light ballast also features a convenient retractable handle with large keyholes for wall or ceiling mounting options. The lighting ballast also has over-sized rubber feet for electrical safety and quiet operation. The 8 foot power cord and 10 foot light bulb output cords are constructed of the highest quality, heavy gauge industrial grade electrical cord usually seen on grow lights costing much more. The HPS ballast is pre-set and ready to plug into standard 110/120 household voltage, but can easily be changed to 220/240 volts. The High Pressure Sodium 400 watt High Pressure Sodium grow light ballast will operate any standard or horticultural 400 watt High Pressure Sodium lamp or 400 watt Metal Halide Conversion lamp. For future upgrades, the universal socket set can be used with many other reflectors; including, air-cooled reflectors, umbrella style hoods, and many other grow light reflector hoods. This makes the system a great value in hydroponic and indoor gardening lighting.