basic home studio setup

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by The Audion, Nov 29, 2012.

1. I play guitar, and my major is music recording. I would like to set up a very basic home studio, which could be interfaced with the studio at school (there they have a soundcraft analog board and an alesis hard disk recorder.)
    I know I'll get some flack for this, but I would rather NOT use pro-tools. In my opinion pro-tools has led to overproduced, auto-tuned, and just plain bad music. If anythings wrong with the performance, just fix it in pro tools. :rolleyes: From what I understand, some "musicians" these days won't even work with a studio if they dont use autotune. think I'm being ridiculous. well jack white doesn't use pro tools either. and lady gaga does.
    I'd like to stay analog if thats possible. I'm looking at this mackie analog mixer, 4 channels. pretty basic, maybe too basic? I'm not releasing tracks yet just improvising and recording at home and school. Then theres the question of what I'm recording on. anywhere you look its expensive. tape, very expensive, hard disk recorder, expensive.

what would you recommend for someone just starting out with recording, mixing, etc.

2. #2 Fritz Da Cat, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    Just get a 8 track recorder. Cheapest way to stay analog. You could record at home then track everything out at school by bussing into the console.

and Pro Tools didnt fuck music up, its people in general who fucked music up.

Pro Tools is just a DAW like and other, Its how you use your tools and what you think sounds good.

If I had the money I would get a vintage Neve console, 24 track 2 inch reel to reel for tracking, a bunch of outboard pre amps and compressors/ eq/ fx and then a Studor 2 track 1/2 inch tape for mastering, and some good mic's,,, I can dream.

3. A USB interface, Shure SM57, and Cubase or Reaper.

4. could you give me an example? the only devices I've seen like that are digital.

5. My suggestion: Ableton, and an M-Audio interface router (not necessary but helps a lot with latency and recording your instruments. A basic interface like M-Audio go from $100-$200).

Other then that I don't think you need anything else until you've understood the program, and figure out what you really need.

6. Yamaha MT8X

they are gonna be hard to find because they dont make tapes for real any more, but if you do find one (ebay/ craigslist) it would probly be cheap.

analog 4 life

7. #7 The Audion, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    That is fucking awesome!

From what ive researched though multitrack cassete recorders are the worst sounding multitracks around.

8. Jack White and Lady Gaga also don't engineer.....

I understand why you personally don't want to use PT, but you're wrong in saying that PT leads to "over-produced", auto-tuned songs.

A DAW is simply transparent and allows and artist to CREATE.

A DAW never made anybody apply auto-tuning because of creative control issues, lol. It all has to do with trends, and as of lately, going analogue has also been a growing trend (not saying that its bad at all).

9. That's true I was a little heavy handed in saying that.

10. Ohhhh trust me my man, Pro Tools is excellent software. I don't have experience with 8, 9, or 10, but I use version 7.4 and don't even have an Autotune plug-in. I've been asked quite a few times to apply Autotune to someone's track I'd happen to be recording, and I'd let them know that they'd have to make due with a heavy Chorus effect.

PT can be used to enhance someone beyond their own capabilities, I agree with that. But there's also plenty of authentic musicians that use Pro Tools efficiently. You just have to learn your way around. ;)

11. #11 The Audion, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
    I see. I was hoping to stay analog, but since this is my first home setup it's probably a good way to get my feet wet. When I'm getting more into it and have more practice maybe then I'll invest in some quality analog gear.

Looks like setup would be my tube amp, my guitars, other various instruments I should learn how to
    play (I have a saxophone and harmonia collecting dust) a Shure 57, a/d converter and protools.

Would I need a separate mic preamp?

I doubt my old dell laptop is up to the job of running protools. Wish I had a MacBook.

12. If youre A/D dosnt have pre amp then mabe get a cheap tube pre amp with 48v's dc, if youre using a mic that requires power,

13. Got a sm57 and focusrite scarelett interface on the way. That's my Christmas present. I downloaded a free trial of reaper into my laptop. Some questions:
    How can I go about seeing if my computer can handle reaper? I tried to do some line in recording with a little peavey interface I have, but it didn't seem
    To work. Also, do I absolutely need windows 7 with the focusrite?

14. Im not familiar with reaper, but once you get your interface, you usually go to youre DAW preferences and change input output source, ie.(computer line in/ focusrite usb interface)

i dont know if that helped but yeah..

15. Pretty sure you need at least 64bit OS.

16. Download and try it! Very small download and is free initially, if you like it then payment is in an honesty basis, you could just keep using it!

Most people realise how amazing it is and gladly pay! About $60 I think.

Well worth a look.

17. yo, you could drop some money on this and have a nice little beginners set up.

its what im probably gonna be doing soon haha
    i need a good set up.

18. So I'm almost set up...got my sm57 and the focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface. Interface is hooked up to the ol laptop and reaper seems to detect it, but nothing is being recorded when I mic my amp...what gives?

19. start by turning every volume knob you see all the way up. if not that, check your cables and make sure they are ok.

like between your interface and your laptop, and the program

20. Check out reaper forums. A gold mine of advice for all technical issues,